22 coaches online • Server time: 07:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 06, 2020 - 19:40
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

SWL Premier League LXXX
Game 6: JamesDSF's Vampire "Leopold Leeches" Image

I really like vampires. Although I struggled with them in last year's Box Trophy, they are one of my favorite races. Three of my nine legends are vamps, from a team I occasionally run in the NZ leeg and have won two titles with. Vamps are the best cage breakers around, and most fun on defence. They can struggle on attack though, and I was hopeful that the Leeches would implode.

Game plan, score heaps for the rebuy. Take out the thralls, and watch the vamps help me take out the thralls.

Replays broken so I'll have to rely on my memory for this one.

Drive 1: Bravado receives. Laughs at vamps initial inability to hypno. Grumbles at vamps lack of hunger. Scores, reasonably early (I think)

Drive 2: Vamps receive. Bravado torn between attacking the Ag6 ball carrier deep in their half, or harass the receivers. Receivers get harrassed. Wrong choice, Leeches score

Drive 3: Bravado receives. With the only catcher murdered by evil horrid vampires. It was left to a standard M8 wardancer to try and score. One of my frustrations with wood elves is 1-turning. Others do it so effortlessly, whereas I struggle. Three pushes required for a wardancer, not helped by the kickoff landing in the hands of one of the pushers.

<ramchop> gotta push 3 squares, that might be beyond me
<ramchop> maybe i should have apoed that catcher
<JamesDSF> with your squad, should be a piece of cake
<ramchop> not with my brain
<ramchop> 1 turners make my head hurt
<JamesDSF> haha then this one can be practice for next time
<ramchop> feel free to make yourself a cuppa, this could take a while
<JamesDSF> hahah i might

((insert Tetris brilliance gif here, got about 75% of the way to the TD, but failed something. I think a 3+ dodge with dodge. Still a 2+ dodge and 2x 2+ gfis needed after that))

Halftime 1-1

Drive 4: Vamps stall really effectively. Elves grumble at vamps lack of hunger. Score.

Drive 5: Two turns to score (or was it three?). Should be a breeze. However, I think we were out of rerolls at this stage. Dodge to get a receiver into the endzone. Long pass with an Ag5....

((maybe insert a fairly standard elf play score gif))

Full time 2-2 (3/0/0 - 1/2/1)

I'm pretty happy with that one. When Vamps behave they are hard to combat. And these vamps were well behaved - only one bitten thrall all game (stunned I think). Plus it doesn't help that James coaches them very well.

Less happy with the -ma the wardancer took. He's meant to be my main man next season.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 08, 2020 - 08:43
FUMBBL Staff

SWL Premier League LXXX
Game 7: Sharper's Chaos Dwarf "Bronzed Raiders" Image

Out of the Prem race, and heading out of Prem (couldn't make top 3 from here). However, still plenty to play for:

- Captain Tony Marino, Ag5 lineman, could throw the ball a total of 7 squares forward to take the Manfred von Richthofen Arrow for most Passing Yards in a Prem season. Image
- The team could pass Commish Tomay and snaffle 5th place with a win.
- Dan Dan could get another milestone before retirement 200spp

...but the one I was quite excited about was the battle between Dan Dan and hobgoblin star Torduken. The Duke Snakefield Medallion for most SPP in a Prem season was up for grabs. Image
Torduken entered the match on 25 spp, Dan Dan came in on 23 spp.

Drive 1: Torduken received. Kill him!!!!

And that was in the space of three turns. Ignoring all the leaps, dodges, and gfis (and the take root which burned a reroll), lets just focus on the block dice and the fireball. 10 block dice and a fireball. Odds of not getting the ball off that prick of a hobgoblin 0.087%. One in a thousand.

Chorfs cantered in for their score after that.

Drive 3:
Bravado with the ball. Grudge play well off the ball. Dan Dan burns a reroll to get at Torduken. Smashes him! Serious concussion (-av), sadly the apo patched him up. Into the reserves!
Bronzed Raiders weren't averse to a bit of off the ball play either, and surfed the Legend sidestepper. Crowd loves Dan Dan. Into the reserves!

Couldn't stop them in the end. Torduken +6spp, Dan Dan +2spp. Torduken wins.

Final Score 1-2 (2/0/1 - 2/0/2)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2020 - 06:35
FUMBBL Staff

SWL Woodistan State Dance Squad Conference LXXXI

Back down in conferences, and without the assistance of an Ag5, mighty blow, tackle, strip, wrestle wardancer (except in the assistant coach's box).

Commish Tomay listed Bravado at #5 in his Power Rankings list. Kiss of death. We're not even in Prem!

Despite this, looking at my conference, I'm feeling pretty confident of a bounce straight back up to Prem (another kiss of death!).

Who do I need to beat to get there?
Image Vermintidе 1610k (8th in a s80 Reggie)
Image Windy City Brunch Squad 1630k (2nd in a s80 Reggie)
Image Wattlebay Warblers 1110k (4th in a s80 Reggie)
Image More Food for Thawt 1540k (4th in s80 Prem)
Image Big Boys Don't Block 1490k (6th in a s80 Reggie)
Image Haunted All-Sorts 1450k (9th in a s80 Reggie)
ImageBlood Crag Stripes 1530k (7th in a s79 Conf)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 04, 2020 - 00:46
FUMBBL Staff

Game 1: LictorZ's Skaven "Vermintidе" Image

8th in Reggies, under usual cricumstances Vermintide would not be up in Conferences. However, a League restructure back to three groups in the 2nd division meant a whole lot of teams got promoted. With their record of 3/5/8 it's clear that the rats were easy beats, Bravado were gonna smash 'em.

Well obviously overconfidence like that was bound to lead to a fall.

Drive 1
Wood elves received and did their usual thing of not trying to score early. Vermintide showed great patience, held off until T8, then piled the pressure on

Sometimes the simplest moves are the best. Samba now tells me leap over the gutter runner, and dodge, with reroll in the back pocket Chocolate Fish had an >86% chance of pulling it off. Instead, I had the rookie Thrower throw a senseless block, and burnt the reroll on a Image Image
Leap [2] - Dan Dan would have made it.

Half time 0-0

Drive 2
Wardancer leap worked! Got into a cage and stunned the ball carrying gutter runner. Quite a few dice rolls later, another gutter runner scooped it up and scored.

Drive 3
Turn 16, no senselss dice rolls this time. Chocolate Fish strolled out of his cage and scored.

Final Score 1-1 (1/0/1 - 1/1/0)

A disappointing start to the season, but could've been worse. My brand spanking new thrower died, apo'ed to -MA. I need to improve my positioning so it's harder for the pressure to be applied like it was before T8. Winnings were great, so even down a mng I may still start Round 2 with a bench.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2020 - 06:22
FUMBBL Staff

Game 2: barberfett's Dark Elf "Windy City Brunch Squad"Image

Another new team up from reggies. With only 11 games under their belts they'd be raw. Unrefined, no time to cultivate some lovey stats.

Wtf! Since Dan Dan retired Bravado are down to a slightly broken Ag5 lineman as the only player with a stat bump.

Drive 1: Bravado receive and run it up. The biggest worry was the S4 mighty blow Seashore Caberet, so we smashed him - Badly Hurt, apo'ed. One of the Ag5's dodged into the cage and 1D hit the wardancer, Image. Woodies recover, take it forward. Dark Elves give up the chase and spend the rest of the half booting my Ag5!

Half time 1-0

Drive 2: The Brunch squad under a bit of pressure decide to score early. Blitzer dodges [1] rr [6] and runs into the end zone. Ag witch runs forward to pass in the score, dodge [3], dodge [5], pass [6]. No worries, plenty of time for Bravado to grind out a win. Catch [1]. Into the crowd, thanks crowd. Bravado collect and score turn 13.

Drive 3: Wood elves winning the numbers game 9 to 7 (a reserve, and a ref helps). No mucking about, Brunch Squad scores in 2.

Drive 4:: Two turns to score. Ball in the Ag5 hands, and catcher in range. Tree wants to have a notch in his fouling belt, lumbers over to the witch elf's head. Stomp! ref says..... [2][1] "weak!"

Final Score 3-1 (1/2/0 - 3/0/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2020 - 01:55
FUMBBL Staff

Game 3: Wozzaa's Halfling "Wattlebay Warblers"Image

Flings! Frankly this game terrified me. While it's acceptable to lose to flings in Blackbox or Ranked (maybe nobody will notice), in a League with a thriving community there'd be no hiding from it. A loss to flings would be open to all manner of ridicule. Plus there's the public shame of this blog.

On the morning of the match I drew flings in Blackbox. A good practice run? 6-0 thrashing. Ego boost maybe, but not a good workout for SWL.

You see, Wozzaa is quite adept at coaching the little buggers. Last year he was a 3+ dodge away from winning NZ's premier tabletop competition, the Greenstone Cup, with flings. His SWL halfling edition came into this game with a record of 4/5/1. I even started watching a replay of his previous game, but I find replays quite boring. I'm not a great student of the game. Live speccing or playing, no homework.

And so kickoff, halflings receive.....

Game over.

Karla and Rumblelow were constant threat. Ag4 star Hogstone Butternut, went full Torduken taking 10 block dice from tackle wardancer Chocolate Fish
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Unlike Torduken, he wasn't carrying the ball on any of those hits.
Bravado scored T8 and T12. Wattlebay Warblers scored T16

Final Score 2-1 (1/1/0 - 2/2/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2020 - 11:34
FUMBBL Staff

Game 4: BeefyGoodness's Chaos "More Food for Thawt"Image

What I felt I needed going into this game was a bench. 2 players mng, I had 120k of inducements, and no bench. I also had 150k of treasury. In SWL expensive mistakes kicks in at 100k, then steps up every 50k. Not even past halfway mark in the season, I felt I'd invest in some reserves. Two linemen added to the roster.

Look at this monster!
Something to steer clear of. Even with a quick base movement of 7, that's easier said than done. Thawt Roared quite frequently, but remained quite adept at clinging onto errant wood elves.

Chaos weren't winning the Cas game at all. They were winning at something though.

Perhaps I should have tried the risky elf play earlier. Instead I tried to play safe. But with every step backwards another elf fell, and the options got fewer and fewer.

Halftime 0-1, and with Chaos receiving in the 2nd half things felt a little bleak. No worries, I've got a bench remember....
Image Image

No I don't.

Final Score 0-2 (0/0/0 - 0/0/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Apr 26, 2020 - 22:47
FUMBBL Staff

Game 5: Milk_God's Chaos "Big Boys Don't Block"Image

Back to back chaos! Last round didn't go so well. This chaos team also has an annoying tentacled minotaur. Doesn't have block though, the cow has Tackle!

With the previous mngs returning on top of the purchases made before Game 4, Bravado lined up to this match with 15 players! How tough can SWL really claim to be if a bunch of paper thin wood elves can grow to such numbers?

The problem with a wood elf bench though, is that's a lot of TV sitting on the sideline. Grashnak made it into TWO minotaurs!

I don't tend to use Leap much. More of a threat, and for key plays. Maybe there were 4 key plays this game.

Leap 1: Second drive, Blitz! charging downfield heaps of pressure on the chaos.
Turn 5, Leap roll [3], Chocolate Fish clears the screen, goes in for the blitz Image reroll Image
Ball spilled, bounces into the crowd, big throw, could go 2-up here.

Leap 2: Chaos regather. Ag5 captain hero makes 5x 2+ dodge rolls to get his Guard on (Dodge and Team reroll used in the process)
Turn 6, Leap roll [4], Chocolate Fish leaps over a Chaos Warrior then runs around for the hit Image Image

With elves falling and mostly forward, a M7 beastman had been ignored. The ball is handed to him and he scampers towards wood elf territory. No worries, the other leaper stayed backfield for just such an occasion.
Turn 7: Armed with strip ball, tackle and wrestle Volos Jonasson would do the business. Rather than 3+ leap (with no reroll), or 3+ dodge (with dodge), chose 2+ gfi and fell flat on his face.

Turn 8: The Ma7 goat was 7 steps short of scoring and it was up to Chocolate Fish to get him. Dodges and gfis, not leaps got him there this time. Image Image

A lucky escape, in a very enjoyable drive. Looking like 2-0, then 1-1, then 1-0. Phew

Halftime 1-0

Leap 3: Volos into a cage with his ball spilling arsenal.
Turn 10, Leap roll [3] Anything but a skull..... Image.

Yes, the leap was a good one, but it was the antics of the Ag5 dodge captain that made it gifworthy. Go Tony Marino!

Leap 4: Elves getting thin on the ground. 7 vs 11. A leap with Volos ball stripper extraordinaire to slow them down
Turn 12, Leap roll [3], this one is uphill. Anything but a skull. Image Image
It slowed them down

Final Score 2-1 (0/0/0 - 0/1/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: May 03, 2020 - 05:18
FUMBBL Staff

Game 6: Nebula753's Humans "Haunted All-Sorts"Image

Eleven games against Nebula753 on FUMBBL and undefeated. Tabletop is a completely different story vs this fellow Wellingtonian, but Bravado is in lockdown and not playing tabletop. The wood elves were a whopping 500k bigger than the humans and I feared Griff might make an appearance. Nope, Master Chef, Babe, and of course a wizard.

Drive 1. Bravado received, and spent this drive fearing a fireball. The thrower collected the ball and tentatively inched forward in a loose cage.

<ramchop> oh
<ramchop> look at that gap
<Nebula753> no, you can ignore the gap
<ramchop> no, it's an imagined gap
<Nebula753> its just your imagination

oops

Drive 2. 0-1 down and 3 turns to salvage a TD before the halftime break. And he still has that wizard.

Catcher zapped into a frog and ball spilled. It was recovered and handed off to a wardancer for the equaliser. Catch roll [1] rr [1].
Turn 8, Ag5 hero of the last round captain Tony Marino wanted to make sure the human catcher wouldn't intercept the no reroll elf bs about to come his way.

<ramchop> i need to see a throwing template.
<ramchop> gimme a minute
<Nebula753> lol

Halftime 1-1

Drive 3. Bravado hadn't scored a casualty since the first half against flings in Round 3. That's over 6 halves of blood bowl ago. That all changed this drive.

Full time 2-1 (4/0/0 - 1/0/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: May 14, 2020 - 12:07
FUMBBL Staff

Game 7: Klazam's Lizardmen "Blood Crag Stripes"Image

Huge game to end the season. 2nd place Bravado vs 3rd place Blood Crag Stripes. If the lizards win they go to Prem, the wood elves only need a win or a draw to make it.

Drive 1. Bravado received, and promptly got fireballed by the wizard. Skink failed the pick-up, then hero of the season, Ag5 captain Tony Marino recovered the ball. The rest of the drive went very well for the elves. Lizards got distracted by a wardancer hunt, and seemed to forget about the ball. Bravado's catcher steps in on T8 for the score.

Halftime 1-0

Drive 3. The focus here was getting to Prem. Forget about the win, slow down the lizards, protect the valuable players and enjoy the 2nd placed promotion.

Turn 15

<ramchop> /me goes to triple check that a draw is enough
<Klazam> it's enough
<Klazam> but im not sure it does much for you with the tiebreaks on the other second placers
<ramchop> oh shit. I hadn't looked at that cloesly enough
<ramchop> gimme a minute

There are currently 3 conferences in SWL. Top team of each conference wins a shiny silver cup and goes up. The best two 2nd places also go up. Determined first by points, then TD difference. Bravado sat on 22 points after Round 6, a draw would take them to 24.

How did the other two groups look?

Cold Rock with a win in R7 would also be on 24 points with a 6+ TD diff. Bravado's TD diff was only 3+

And the other group?

<ramchop> yep I've f$%ked it up royally
<Klazam> good
<Klazam> I want a shot at you next season
<ramchop> for some reason I thought a draw was enough
<ramchop> where the hell did DustBunny come from?

I needed the win. Seriously down on elves, I had to stop them somehow. With all the guard about, the Wardancer would need to uphill it - and getting him there would be too tough. So it was up to the prone wrestler to save it, after a heroic block needed on the Krox....

Thanks crowd.

Final score 1-0 (1/1/0 - 4/0/0)

The funny thing was I'd looked at the wrong table. DustBunny is in Reggies not a Conference. A draw would have been enough after all. Oh well, made for an exciting finish.

Nuffle rewarded my near heart attack with a lovely promotion gift.

ramchop

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2020 - 04:16
FUMBBL Staff

SWL Premier League LXXXII

The post season rebuy was easy. Dan Dan's retirement freed up a huge piece of the budget. And any worries of a tight squeeze vanished when hero Ag5 Guard lineman captain Tony Marino decided he also wanted to retire.

The only decision that I pondered for more than a moment was should I reset the games played counter to zero on the Grab tree and Dodge lino, or the Dodge Wrestle lino. (kept the tree, made him captain)

Bravadoyoyo, straight back up into Prem. A fourth visit to the top tier, this time without a shiny silver Conf winners trophy. Qualified as a best 2nd.

Some familiar faces up here with only one team I haven't faced before. It's a tough life in the Premiership. Can Bravado do better than their career best 4th place in SWL?

Who stands in the way?
Image Lab Rat Elysium 1640k
Image Pugs Not Drugs 1480k
Image Amateur Professionals 1670k
Image Blue Mountain Giants 1520k
Image Bronzed Raiders 1620k
Image More Food for Thawt 1690k
ImageCold Rock 1630k

Image Bravado 1670k
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2020 - 21:59
FUMBBL Staff

Game 1: D_Arquebus's Skaven "Lab Rat Elysium"Image

Lab Rat Elysium a bogey team for Bravado. In three previous encounters the skaven have won every time. By a solid 2 point margin every time. This is not a game I expected to win.

<D_Arquebus> 12 players? Rude!

Yes, Bravado had a bench. Would it matter?

Cas count looks similar:

The big difference here is timing.
Lab Rats hurt wood elves on turns 2, 13, 15, 16
Bravado hurt rats on turns 1, 4, 8, 8

Yes, skaven were down 4 players before they made their first move in the 2nd half.

Even so, the result would've been different if this ~50% play on turn 8 came off:

Move 10 sprint gutter runner. What a horrible creature. Go the tripwire endzone!

2 cas and 2 TDs for Chocolate Fish. The big all-rounder making a big mark with his newly acquired strength already.

Final score 2-1 (4/0/0 - 1/3/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jun 22, 2020 - 11:50
FUMBBL Staff

Game 2: mushoomy's Necromantic "Pugs Not Drugs"Image

Pugs Not Drugs a bogey team for Bravado. In four previous encounters the necro have won every time. This is not a game I expected to win.

But I hoped to. Family grudge match. Usually there is plenty of swearing, shouting across the room at ramchop jr.

However, this season I'm intent on avoiding the doldrums of my previous visit to Prem. The goal is to be a paragon of good sportsmanship. Usually, I think I don't do too badly. While seething on this side of the keyboard, I can be pretty restrained. Shout "You #$%#!" at the screen, and type "that was unfortunate. Nice move". It's a bit trickier when the opponent is in the same room as you.

This game was important. I spent a bit of time on this thread. 18 pages of discussions on how to defend against one turn touchdowns. I lost interest after three, but was all set to try the opening post setup. Maybe the stand firm tree on one side and risk a sidestepper wardancer on the other.

Drive 1, Pugs chose to kick. 2x ma9 wolves are fast.
Samba says this was a 43% play with team rr. Image
S4 wardancer sorted it out, recovered the ball and scored T7.

Drive 2, all this worry about his one-turn mastery, can he do it in two? Deep kick, Mr Surehands wolf fails the pick up. Receivers covered, would be difficult to score now. Dodging Flesh Golem thinks otherwise, dodging Flesh Golem chain push double skull.

Halftime 1-0

Drive 3
Screening out two ma9 wolves for an entire half seemed unlikey. So let's see the wardancers strike. Chocolate Fish punches a zombie aside then the Volos Jonasson, strip ball, wrestle, tackle, 1D hit on the wolf...
Samba says this would have been a 82.5% play, if the wolf didn't have surehands. Duh!
Samba says this was a 60% play. Image
Samba says if Chocolate Fish had gone in with his S4 instead it would have been a ~64% play. Marginally better odds is still better odds.

Things getting desperate now. Down on numbers. After the Volos failure earlier it's time for the big Chocolate Fish to have a go. Slim odds from where he starts.
Samba says this was a 31% play for his 2D blitz.
Samba says this was a 42% play if Volos had gone in instead with a 1D blitz. Better odds is better odds.

A draw is better than a 5th loss.

Final score 1-1 (0/0/0 - 0/1/1)

T16 my thrower took the final move of the game and walked over to the Pugs' pitch logo:
<ramchop> urinating on the face

Not quite a paragon of good sportsmanship, but I'm working on it.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jun 25, 2020 - 11:07
FUMBBL Staff

Game 3: tussock's High Elf "Amateur Professionals"Image

Elf ball! For some reason I resisted the natural urge to stall out to the end of the half and Bravado scored early, then tussock scored, then I scored.

T8. One turn defence. Didn't I study this before mushoomy? I remembered Purplegoo's LOS. Bookended the line with the tree and a sidestepper, but behind the line just winged it. tussock had grab, tussock had leap. I felt confident he'd not be able to surround and chainpush the side stepper and as he proceeded to set about doing just that, the nagging doubt that it wasn't possible surprisingly didn't surface. He surely couldn't do it. He didn't do it.

Half time 2-1

Second half the High Elves scored quite early (2-2). This time I would stall out for the easy T16 win. S4 Chocolate Fish collected the ball.
Then proceeded to get uphill hit by a stripper. No!
The scatter bounced around and ended up back in the hands of the wardancer. Ha!
The wardancer snaked a dodge away. No!
The high elves ran away with it and scored. NOOOO!!!!!

2-3 down. One turn to score. I'm terrible at one turning. Definitely screwed it up more than I've aced it. And this time no team reroll.

Could Nuffle please lend me a hand. A riot, a quick snap, a reroll maybe.

Nuffle listens. PERFECT DEFENCE!!!!!!

Ha!

Final score 3-3 (1/1/0 - 0/0/1)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jul 04, 2020 - 10:20
FUMBBL Staff

Game 4: ClayInfinity's Dwarf "Blue Mountain Giants"Image

Rock! And there's no much rockier than dwarf. Paper beats rock, right? Bravado might have it over Chaos, Orcs and Nurgle but not the stocky shorts ones. 0/2/2 against Dorf & Chorf.

And these Giants came to the party with a Blodge Ag5 runner, and a wizard. Both featured early.

Turn 3. S4 Chocolate Fish rumbled up the sideline in a loose cage. Fire rained down upon him but he stood strong. Elves in front of him didn't fair so well.

Blitzer came in for the assist, then it was Torgan Silvermead the freak runner who dared think he could loosen the ball with a 1D hit
Not only did he loosen that ball, he smashed the Wardancer -Ag!!! (good apo!)
Then the cheeky bugger collected the ball in 2 tackle zones.

If Torgan can hit a blodger with one dice, surely Bravado can get back at him with two. A lineelf dodged away to cancel an assist and burned the reroll in the process. Then the thrower threw a block at him.
Image Image
Damn that freak! Still a chance, lineman blitz, 4+ dodge [5], 1D hit Image
Into the crowd!
Badly Hurt!

That's worthy of a replay......

Not over yet, elves get hit, elves regather, elves score. Dorfs don't.

Half time 1-0

Dorfs grind. Elves squish.

Full time 1-1 (0/0/0 - 3/0/0)
 Jump to: