43 coaches online • Server time: 15:32
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Want temporary penalties?
Yes please!
29%
 29%  [ 13 ]
No, too draconian.
70%
 70%  [ 31 ]
Total Votes : 44

Christer

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 10:03
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting statistic of the day:

There has been exactly 300 concessions in the last 10 000 games as I write this.

Funny how the numbers are so even.

Either way, I have no intention of adding additional penalties to the scheduler(s) due to concessions or disconnections. It's probably impossible to come up with a heuristic that affects players who have legit reasons or issues. False positives in this case are pretty negative.
stej

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

There are no legitimate concessions other than your cat being on fire. I propose that the client be updated to allow a live webcam stream so players have to show their cat is on fire before being allowed to concede
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 11:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I must admit I rarely see concessions on this site. When People concede they are often to frustrated to play on. I wouldn't penalise frustration. One penalty for concession is that your best players might leave. That's one of the reasons I rarely concede games where I don't stand a chance.
I just played an oppenent who wanted to concede after I scored in two turns with an elven union team. He didn't do it, because he didn't want his only high skilled player to leave. It was nice for me that we played on (earned a lot of spp), but very frustrating for him as he didn't have a chance to win this game at any time. I wouldn't punish people conceding, it's part of the game.
mekutata

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

stej wrote:
There are no legitimate concessions other than your cat being on fire. I propose that the client be updated to allow a live webcam stream so players have to show their cat is on fire before being allowed to concede

This is a constructive suggestion. I hope Christer listens to this.

Last edited by mekutata on Apr 09, 2020 - 15:11; edited 1 time in total
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

stej wrote:
There are no legitimate concessions other than your cat being on fire.

Fair point.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 12:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Some of you see concessions as selfish actions that show no respect for the opponent's fun.

I'd argue that in a way saying that there are no legitimate concessions is just as selfish if not more. When the guy you are playing against is getting absolutely no fun out of the time he's spending playing against you, and is willing to pay a price for it to end (price you will benefit from, too), I think that demanding that he keeps not-enjoying himself just so you can have your bit of fun is selfish.

Anyway, this whole conversation is a bit pointless now that Christer informed us that concessions are just 3% of the games played. It's hardly a problem worth mentioning.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd have thought it would be lower.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
I think that demanding that he keeps not-enjoying himself just so you can have your bit of fun is selfish.

Maybe a bit harsh? Win some, lose some, but finish the match, and everybody wins in the long run.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 14:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
JanMattys wrote:
I think that demanding that he keeps not-enjoying himself just so you can have your bit of fun is selfish.

Maybe a bit harsh? Win some, lose some, but finish the match, and everybody wins in the long run.

I do not endorse conceding, mind you. But if someone is so bored / pissed with our match that he doesnt enjoy it in the slightest, and wants to award me double money and double mpvs, I'm sad for him but I bear no grudge.

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 17:53
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I have conceded, and will do so again.

I concede when i want to concede, that's what it comes down to. When it suits the criteria that justifies it to me. So of course I extend the same right to others, according to their own criteria.

I am lucky, my own threshold is well within the site threshold, so no concession of mine has ever been questioned, that I know of.

If someone is repeatedly conceding, they usually leave, or someone has a word with them and they stop.

Concessions here are still fairly uncommon,

Sorry but, where is the problem?

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2020 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
I have conceded, and will do so again.

Burn the witch!

PurpleChest wrote:
Sorry but, where is the problem?

The thought actually stems from an idea to reduce admin workload, by automating a response to a certain recurring complaint about disconnections/disappearances/drops/unwarranted concessions.

Secondary goal is the obvious one about being able to play out your match, and increasing user experience for 0-3% of all fumbbl matches (ref. earlier this thread).

Anyway, this thread is basically already over.
MrCushtie

Post   Posted: Apr 10, 2020 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, having never conceded, I'm going to concede my next 15 matches so that at least in one direction, I can attain the average.