40 coaches online • Server time: 12:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
fivehead

Post   Posted: May 10, 2020 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm playing a Slann team for a 12-game season, and I'm wondering how I should go about getting them levelled quickly. Blocking more often could help, but I'd imagine focusing on passing would be the way. Any tips?
bghandras

Post   Posted: May 10, 2020 - 08:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Wrestle on linos. Then Tackle and or Strip ball. Mighty blow on first double. (Especially if you do not run with blitzer as i recommend in a short life span thing.)
Wrestle (and dauntless) on catchers.
Blitzers probably wont give a return over 12 games.
Guard on krox (block then pro on double), Stand firm as second normal.

Post   Posted: May 10, 2020 - 09:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I definitely wouldn't focus on passing - you don't have a dedicated passer and so much can go wrong in a passing game. Heck, your catchers don't even start with catch! It depends on your team build, but your catchers should be naturally scoring if you are using that positional. I like to throw MVP to any linefrog that manages a CAS or to score after a ball steal so that they can get a few skills. Like bghandras said, wrestle is great for them since every player is a potential sacker. However, I would recommend Guard over Mighty Blow on a double (especially on a catcher) - if you aren't using a blitzer there's no other positional that can get Guard on a normal. Guard will win you more games, and thus get you more SPP, than MB (though MB is a great skill and you probably won't be sad if you take it, let's be honest!). Hop a guard into the cage to join your sacker and there's not a whole lot your opponent can do to stop you Smile
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: May 10, 2020 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Slann aren't especially amenable to SPP-farming, since they're an AG 3 team with no passing-related starting skills. The occasional turn 8 vanity pass won't hurt of course, but it's likely to fail quite often -and so, "focusing on passing" with a mostly-rookie Slann team is mostly a recipe for losing the ball a lot.

The only recommendation I can make is, try to spread the touchdowns around when you can by varying who you use as a ball carrier. Don't let the Catchers hog all the SPP - with MA 7, AG 4 they will usually be making most of the touchdowns, and the first skill or two on them improves their survivabiliy and reliability by a lot so that's not necessarily a problem, but you want skills on your other players too.

Until you get lots of skills, one Slann is about as good of a ball carrier as another, so try to give your blitzers and even your linemen the opportunity to carry the ball on offense. (If you get the ball loose on defense, of course, go with whatever retriever is safest - there's no point throwing away games in the quest for more SPPs.) A single touchdown, casualty or successful pass makes a rookie player a candidate to get their first skill if you nominate them for the MVP award, so pay attention to who is close to skilling so you can place MVPs efficiently.

I think that's about all the advice I can give, and you'll notice those are are all pretty generic tips that will apply to most teams. Slann can be tough to start, and don't skill especially quickly. On the plus side, they can be hard for opponents to play correctly against as well. Good luck!
neilwat

Post   Posted: May 10, 2020 - 11:25
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

The thing I love about Slann is that many top coaches do not agree on how to build/play them. I have used them in league and have enjoyed using them and feel I have done well with them but there is likely to be a range of advice given. So based on my feelings/experience...

They need wrestle on a good few lino's ASAP. This opens holes and stops your team going missing from the pitch too quickly.
Kick is also important but maybe not straight away but soon
I found the krox very useful and try and start with him.
I get Blitzers slowly and get them block ASAP.
A catcher or two early on with dodge, then block is very useful. They get Spps quickly and die quickly with no skills.

If you have used humans before I feel you should play them similar to them most of the time and then do your leaping tricks on occasions. You aim is to get the other team to cage up, put a little pressure on the cage and wait for the time where you can 1. sack the ball and then 2. get that ball free and away. If you don't think you can get the ball after it is sacked then it is often not worth the risk of trying to sack it.

Learn to use the blitzers well. They have some great skills but are very pricey. You need to make the most of their Jump Up and Diving tackle otherwise they are very costly lineman. They are also typically the last player you would want jumping into a cage but are great to cover the ball if you have stolen it or to hold up key players.

I hope you enjoy them, they are one of my favourite teams. Hard to start with but get better and better over time.
NickNutria

Post   Posted: May 10, 2020 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Slann are hard to play. It's not easy to level them up. You can self-destruct your team, if you leap to much. I failed any approach with them until I played them like a typical human all linemen team. That way you can get a great amount of RR to start, Slann need about 4 RRs to be successful.

I skilled my linemen with block as first skill and tackle as second. Blitzers are really expensive and only get good after one or two skills. I would prefer wrestle on blitzers as they have jump up and don't loose mv when lying down. Dodge and tackle are good second skills. I would start buying one Blitzer after I've got several developed linemen.

After I got 1 Blitzer I would buy one catcher.
Catchers are your throwers/ball handlers/catchers, but you need to defend them good, because they break easily. Dodge/Block are typical first skills for them, guard is great on a double, this way they can give you easliy two dice when leaping into a cage.
fivehead

Post   Posted: May 11, 2020 - 02:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the feedback! I'm going to be coming back to this a lot as I continue to develop the team. I appreciate it!
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 11, 2020 - 03:21 Reply with quote Back to top

12 Linemen: 720k
1 Catcher: 80k
4 Re-Rolls: 200k.

First purchase: Apothecary. Second purchase is a Kroxigor. After that, just keep your numbers up, maybe get a second Catcher in lieu of replacing a Lineman at some point. Play heavy and in-your-face, make them basically an all-Lineman Human squad, as someone above said. They can be pretty brutal if you get them going.

That said, they're a terrible team to learn the game on. Get good with Humans first.

Post   Posted: May 19, 2020 - 02:57 Reply with quote Back to top

It will be rough without skills to start. You have to decide how you want to play them. Then pick the advice that fits from here. I play multiple teams of slann all built with different play style so I don't disagree with any advice here but you have to pick and go all in on that style
MarckusOfCamlan

Post   Posted: May 19, 2020 - 22:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Scoring is the most efficient way. Choose carefully your ball carrier.
Strider84

Post   Posted: May 19, 2020 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

for 12 games you don't even need blitzers. just take krox, 2-3 catchers and linos and lots of rerolls. then get one more catcher, get them blodged up and take any MVP to get wrestle / block on linos and a guard/sf krox. doubles are guard on any player except obviously Krox.
Manage your rr wisely, always expect the blocks and leaps to fail. only leap in for the ball when you can actually properly recover the ball if it's a pow.

One more thing, if the league is not sure hands heavy a strip ball lineman is mindfuck for the opposition. you don't even need to use it, just threaten to use it so he needs to overcommit on his cage and then you have a chance to win the block war.
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: May 19, 2020 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Im going to name drop happygrue and how he plays his frogs
Below is a link to his games fromthe start, through to 135

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=667553

Jump to: