66 coaches online • Server time: 22:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Christer

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 00:04
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I've just pushed an update that adds experimental roster tier support to custom leagues.

The intent of the tier support is to give league organizers to add different "skill packages" to various groups of races, and is only enabled for custom ruleset leagues with "Predetermined" skills.

To enable the functionality do the following:

1. Make sure your custom ruleset is set to Predetermined skill progression
2. The "Skills" entry box now has a slightly more complex format, where you write skill settings for each tier, separated by a pipe character (|). The first skill setting is for tier 0 (which is also a fallback in case something is configured wrong), the second group is settings for tier 1 and so on.

To clarify this further, here's an example:

0:3N,3:2N|0:2ND,3:2N

This would give tier 0 teams 3 normal skills for open play and early tournament rounds, and an additional 2 normal skills for tournament rounds 3 and beyond.

Tier 1 teams would instead start out with 2 normal skills and 1 double skill for open play and early tournaments, and 2 additional normal skills for tournament rounds 3 and beyond.

In order to assign rosters to tiers, there is now an additional tier column in the roster list, which allows you to set a tier for each roster (zero default) in the ruleset. Note that teams imported that are not explicitly part of the ruleset will be considered tier 0 for this purpose.

Somewhat complicated and I yet again stress that it's experimental. I would very much like to get some feedback on how this works and any bugs you identify with the system.

Enjoy!
sebco

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 01:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks a lot! This will be specially useful for NAF online tournaments (and I suppose for any league which wants to give advantages to some rosters). /clap

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

How does it work with existing TT imitating ruleset like Eurobowl 2020 practice? Is it worth trying to fit retroactively, or is that expected to cause only trouble?

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 11:04
FUMBBL Staff

It should work to retroactively change, but it needs testing. Assuming coaches have compliant skill selections, it *should* work but it's largely untested.

It's a bit of a complicated process behind the scenes, so there could well be issues. Thus I would want people to test it in small scale before large tournaments do the changes. Worst case at this point would be that skill selections are broken and need to be redone for individual teams.
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 15:41 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a very nice update, thank you a lot. You surely know that newish TT rulesets define tier based budgets. Do you plan to implement that too some day in the future?

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 15:44
FUMBBL Staff

As in varying starting gold? That could be a possibility, yes. It would help if a more established / large league used it or requested it though. This tier change is more or less custom built to support NAF style tournaments (specifically NAF Live).
SzieberthAdam

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, in the last World Cup and now also with the 2020 Eurobowl, it was/is more complicated that just having initial tier based starting golds. The formats are very different and complicated. I do not expect FUMBBL to provide a system to generally make TOs able to enforce/validate teams out of the box. It would be a hell to maintain.

However, tier based starting golds and maybe a budget constraint to the above syntax could let them set the ruleset so that there would be a way less invalid applicants.

I mean like

0:2N1D40k,3:2N1D50k|0:3N2D60k,3:3:3N2D70k

So that tier0 can not spend more on skills for round0 than 40k so the coach either picks two normals or a double there.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2020 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

Quick thing on this. I'm creating a Tournament for the official group of Chile and appling the separation of skill by tiers, is not possible to save it. It doesn't save the selection in the teams.

All the best and thanks for the effort in the site.
 Jump to: