39 coaches online • Server time: 16:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think about this idea?
That sounds fun, I'd play!
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
I like this, and would be a Gauntlet coach.
33%
 33%  [ 2 ]
Not for me, thanks.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
This is a bad idea, because...
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Mandatory pie.
50%
 50%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 6

spelledaren

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2020 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello.

I had an idea for a tournament. I'll lay out the premise here and if there is sufficient interest we'll make it happen.

Based on Dornbirn rules, the players go through a set of increasingly difficult games and try to make it through the Gauntlet. Those that make it past four games, if any, are cast against each other in the fight for the final prize.

In the Gauntlet each challenge is the same for everyone, so there are certain Gauntlet coaches who play the opposition. So in each round all players face the same coach and team. Those who are victorious proceed, and the others are knocked out, so there should be less players for the later Gauntlet coaches to face.

First round would be a tier 4 team, then tier 3, tier 2 and finally tier 1. To make the Gauntlet more terrifying, those teams will get a small bonus to enhance their teams. The players would choose one team and follow Dornbirn rules in creation, and then adding new skills after each game as if they were moving on to the next day.

That's the general outline, and should be enough to form an opinion. I'll try to lay out some specifics in the next post.

Dornbirn rules

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2020 - 15:08 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a resurrection tournament, so no injuries are carried over, and no skills are gained through SPP. Teams can add new skills according to the tables below, following the restrictions in the rules. All of the below is almost exactly copied from Dornbirn rules, with days changed into rounds, and another round added.

Division of Races (Tiers)

Tier 1: Amazons, Bretonnians, Chaos Dwarves, Dark Elves, Dwarves, Lizardmen, Norse, Orcs, Skaven, Undead, Wood Elves
Tier 2: Chaos Renegades, Elf Union, High Elves, Humans, Khemri, Necromantic
Tier 3: Daemons of Khorne, Chaos, Nurgle’s Rotters, Slann, Underworld Denizens, Vampires
Tier 4: Goblins, Halflings, Ogres

Team creation and progression:

Teams in the Gauntlet will be built and will gain improvements (additional skills or stat upgrades) according to their placement in the tier system above.

Team Building
Coaches must spend a minimum of 1,100,000 gold pieces when building their team. When building your team, you may buy:

At least 11 standard roster players before any star player
0-8 Re-Rolls
Assistant coaches
Cheerleaders
0-1 Apothecary or Igor, depending on race
0-9 Fan Factor
Inducements. The cost will be as following and will count for all 9 games:
0-2 Bloodweiser Kegs for each 50 kgp
0-3 Bribes for each 100 kgp, for Goblins only for each 50 kgp
0-1 Masterchef for 300 kgp, for Halflings only 100 kgp
0-2 NAF-approved star players for their regular cost
Wizards, (in)famous coaching staff and/or Special Play Cards are explicitly not allowed. If both teams have hired the same star player, he/she will play for both teams.

Additional Cash
Each team receives additional funding based on their tier. Starting cash can be used for team building (as above) or used to buy skills or a mixture of both.

Tier Starting Round 2 Round 3 Round 4

1: 1,160,000, 40,000, 40,000, 30000
2: 1,200,000, 50,000, 40,000, 40000
3: 1,250,000, 50,000, 40,000, 40000
4: 1,250,000, 70,000, 40,000, 40000

A ‘normal’ skill costs 20 kgp
A ‘double’ skill costs 30 kgp
Tiers 1-3 are limited to one double skill during the tournament, until round 4 when they may take one additional double.
Tier 4 may have more than one double skill.
Your roster can have one player that has two additional skills. Both skills must be normal skills and the second skill has a cost of 30,000 gold pieces. These skills can be added at different times in the event. In round 4 one more player may have two additional skills.
Tier 4 may buy a single stat upgrade. This cannot be combined with any other additional skill.
+ MA / AV costs 40,000 gold pieces,
+ AG 50,000 gold pieces and
+ ST 60,000 gold pieces.
Star players may not receive additional skills or stat upgrades
The Skill "Piling On" will be used according to CRP, i.e. no Re-Rolls are required
All gold left unspent each round is lost, and does not carry over to subsequent rounds.

Gauntlet coaches choose one a team from their tier, tier 4 for round 1, tier 3 for round2 , tier 2 for round 3, and tier 1 for round 4, and build it as if they had progressed to that round.
They get +30, +40, +50, +60k (higher bonus each round) to spend on skills and team upgrades as they see fit, as long as they follow the creation rules above.

So the final Tier one Gauntlet coach team in round 4 would get 1,330,000 to spend on their team.

Questions:

Should it be necessary to win to progress, always? Could a team be allowed one draw? There is the option to use overtime, but I worry that the first round Gauntlet coaches would have so many games already that adding more time would make it less interesting.

Is it a good thing that the Gauntlet coaches get small bonuses to build their teams? My thinking is that it should be difficult, it makes the challenge more satisfying.

A tournament could be running for a very long time, even if limited to something like 16 players. Would this be a turn off for some?

How should the fight for the winner be organised for those that do make it past 4 games?

Other questions and thoughts?

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2020 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The biggest concern I would have is variance in the gauntlet coaches. Ideally everyone would play against the same coaches, but with a tournament of even 16 gauntlet runners, that would be very difficult.

What if you did a small version, with only 4 runners, and then only 4 gauntlet coaches (1 for each tier)?

Then my wacky idea part that you might need to ignore:
Then you make the tournament after an 8 man KO, where you play your team. Both guantket runners and gauntlet coaches participate. They play their team, and get boosted to a day equal to the number of wins they got during the gauntlet portion. So if gauntlet runner A won 2 games, then during the KO tournament, his team has skills as if they are on day 2. If gauntlet coach B defeated 3 of the gauntlet runners, then he gets skills as if he was on day 3. (You couldn't give any gauntlet coach boosts during the gauntlet beyond what was expected for their day though.)
If you did actually g with this, you could probably also expand out how many guantlet coaches there are (and therefore how many runners) as gauntlet coach skill wouldn't need to be so equal for all gauntlet runners.
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2020 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting. My thought was absolutely that each round has 1 specific Gauntlet coach, meaning the first one would have a lot of games to play.

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2020 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Early responses seem to suggest that the number of players needs to stay quite low. This could work just fine, then the Gauntlet could start over more often with other Gauntlet coaches.

Nelphines suggestion above is interesting, though I dont know how to deal with round 4 Gauntlet coaches possibly playing no one and thus getting no bonus? It adds another whole tournament part, and my thought was focused on the achievement it would be to actually make it through these 4 games at all.

Like, some nice badge and bragging rights for defeating the Gauntlet.

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2020 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

no, you'd have the gauntlet runners play all 4 gauntlet rounds, regardless of wins/losses/draws.
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2020 - 19:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, that's a very different proposition then. Interesting, someone else can run that Smile

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2020 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a nice idea but needs a bit of tweaking - if all runners are to play the same Gauntlet coach at each round, it will just be far too many games for that coach to defend in Round 1 at the least. Unless you really limit the entrants, but then it wouldn't be a big event and not as interesting

Why not get several volunteer Gauntlet 'defenders' for each round, and to make it fair in Round 1 they would be Emerging Stars, 2 =Stars, 3 = Superstars, 4 = Legends? That would make it pretty consistent, also help step up the challenges, and make it more workable? There are far more Emerging Stars and Stars than the higher brackets, so you should also get more volunteers to defend the numerous early round games?
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2020 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

That would work, assuming we trust the CR system Razz