49 coaches online • Server time: 14:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Puffin802

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2021 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so I've played this for approx 3 months now and I'm awful at it.

I know the basics, and am comfortable with the defensive game, but cannot grasp how to play offence at all. Ive watched numerous games both here on Fumbbl and on YouTube (Andy Davo, Zunk, cKnoor, the Sage etc) and I just cannot replicate how to play offence.

The wins ive obtained have all been really lucky breakaways from defence.

Is there somewhere I can go to be taught how to play offence?
Dynamix

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2021 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

You may have already found this link, https://bloodbowlstrategies.com/ It can be found in the help section on this site in the strategies and tips
I have found this quite useful as I am the same - offense needs improving
jdm

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2021 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd suggest joining the FUMBBL discord Server then the 145 Club server.

The FUMBBL discord is a great place that serves all coaching levels whereas the 145 club is dedicated to helping new coaches find their footing

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2021 - 18:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Pick a team you like and play for fun until you get the feel for how they play. See if that suits what you enjoy and go from there.
Winning is nice, but having a fun enjoyable game is more important.
Maybe join a league for newer players too, like the 145
Puffin802

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2021 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Many thanks for the link, I've joined up
sann0638

Post   Posted: Jan 09, 2021 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd be happy to review a game of yours if you're happy for it to be on YouTube! Just post the link to the game.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2021 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

sann0638 wrote:
I'd be happy to review a game of yours if you're happy for it to be on YouTube! Just post the link to the game.

Whats the channel? I'd be interested in checking it out
jdm

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2021 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's his youtube channel, highly recommended

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2021 - 16:45 Reply with quote Back to top

An invaluable resource: https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=24897%3Cbr

1,000 Losses Playbook is what it says it is, a playbook honed after losing 1,000 games. Lots and lots of detail if you have the time but really invaluable. Everyone has a different learning style though and Sann's offer might suit yours better.
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2021 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

There's clearly a lot of good reading recommendations but it can also get a bit overwhelming. The key to improving is practice, and learning from your mistakes. I highly recommend the replay function for your own games, to find out where your drive went to hell, and to consider how you could have prevented it. Figure out what your weaknesses are, then work on them one at a time. Since you do okay on defence I will assume that you have by now figured out the rules and basic probabilities and how to do a screen and a 2d block.

Some recurring things I often see inexperienced coaches struggle with on offence include:

* Positioning, d'uh. A cage is not enough, you need to screen, control as much of the pitch as you can to create room to move into, protect yourself from Blitz! event, etc.

* Turn organisation, this is harder on offence as you have to worry about the ball. You need to have a pretty good idea of where you want to end up as a result of the turn, before you even move the first player.

* The blocking trap. There is a brillant article called "The Art of Blocking" which is highly recommeneded reading, and once you've figured out how to maximise your number of blocks you can get carried away with it and suddenly you find you haven't advanced downfield, or don't have enough guys left to protect the ball.

* Timing of the drive. When is it too early, when too late to make a decisive push forward? Which gap is too small, which is big enough?

* Knowing when to take a risk. Often as you learn the game you get smarter at avoiding risks, but the key especially when facing strong opposition is to take the right risks. When you see two top coaches play and one of them starts the turn with a 1d block before even standing up any players, pay very close attention, for there was a good reason for this.
ben_awesome

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2021 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't drink and play!
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2021 - 20:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Get in touch with me on discord. Offense is my specialty, especially how to block the opponent through 8 turns. If you are indeed okay on defense, and this is your biggest weakness, you put in the effort, and you prefer the blocking path, then you have my help.

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2021 - 21:43 Reply with quote Back to top

ben_awesome wrote:
Don't drink and play!

Correction. Always drink and play
Bullroarer4

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 00:27 Reply with quote Back to top

@sann0638

I would love your analysis of my match against Baz, a true legend.

https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4253942

Maybe your analysis of my match would help others deal with the often misunderstood Brets

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2021 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Here you go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRxQKbN3or4

Not sure if it adds much, just a couple of times where going down rather than up or vice versa might have worked out better, or if it's just captain hindsight talking. Always interesting when players start to leave the pitch!

Jump to: