51 coaches online • Server time: 14:24
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Will bb2020 changes make you retire from fumbbl?
Never, fumbbl 4eva!
76%
 76%  [ 338 ]
Completely retire
2%
 2%  [ 10 ]
Retire except still do league
7%
 7%  [ 32 ]
Retire except still do some tournaments
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Undecided
13%
 13%  [ 61 ]
Total Votes : 443

MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2021 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

If you play thousands of games just to achieve a good Legend with lucky random rolls maybe you should ask yourself if you are playing Blood Bowl for the tactical challenge or as a random player building simulator. Very Happy
Personally I play for the tactical challenge, the player building is a part of the game but not my main focus.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2021 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Same here... I think BB as a tactical game in that 1350 to 1600ish TV is a great game. I am one of the "team is the character" rather than the "I need to build a team of Legends to make my team famous". I have been playing SWL and seasons under the current rule sets (where there is a "wants to retire" roll each season). We only play 7 game seasons (thats a long held meta, nothing to do with the seasons issue) and you turn over players every 7 games.

I currently have a Dwarf Runner with 219spp... it can be done.

The team is here: https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=918279. This is the type of team you can have with a 7 game season. Our TV caps fluctuate based on your performance and what division you're in, but its been great fun and I look to replicate it in Competitive Div.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2021 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

It is a long time since that team wan last 1350 or lower.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2021 - 16:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't followed the discussion but as I feel the poll choices are very negative, I just want to say that I'm excited about the changes and will probably return to FUMBBL.

BTW, I have 950 games here but the last one was almost 13 years ago.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2021 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Webbe wrote:
I haven't followed the discussion but as I feel the poll choices are very negative, I just want to say that I'm excited about the changes and will probably return to FUMBBL.

BTW, I have 950 games here but the last one was almost 13 years ago.

Welcome back!

It's great to see that avatar again. Mr. Green

It would be good if some of the old crowd returned.
But are you back just because there are new rules or because you think that the new rules are good?

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2021 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

As someone you joined FUMBBL today to take part in Steelbowl, as 2020 made me want to start playing, what option should I pick?
mekutata

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2021 - 20:33 Reply with quote Back to top

BlockBadger wrote:
As someone you joined FUMBBL today to take part in Steelbowl, as 2020 made me want to start playing, what option should I pick?

Never, fumbbl 4eva! is a gud start

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2021 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

BlockBadger wrote:

I STRONGLY suggest that you create a Ranked or Blackbox team and play at least a match before the tourney in order to get accustomed to the client we use. It's very intuitive, but if you never played on it before it's a verybadideaTM to have the first game of your life in a NAF tournament. Both for you and for your opponent.

Post   Posted: Jan 21, 2021 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Sure a fully random is unlikely to be good. However I can see a mostly random working. Take block and then lots of random strength skills. Maybe save for a stat increase.

Part of the question becomes how much you are willing to cycle players. The more you play the more chance you get for those to be the right random skills.

Lyracian.
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2021 - 04:11 Reply with quote Back to top

The fact that we're being 'encouraged' to retire perfectly good players is disgusting. SMH, Players aren't nameless pawns.
Wozzaa

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2021 - 04:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:
The fact that we're being 'encouraged' to retire perfectly good players is disgusting. SMH, Players aren't nameless pawns.

But Blood Bowl is a brutal game. And players get sick of the death and injuries. Max Rolfenberg, Human Blitzer has PTSD from having his collar bone sliced by a chainsaw that some Goblins snook on to the field and the ref, who is meant to protect them, turned a blind eye.

Alvarez Golddawn, elf catcher, literally died!! and an Apo brought him back to life. That does something to an elf.

It doesn't surprise me that after a few seasons a player wants to hang up the boots and become a coach or thank their lucky stars they weren't mutilated and take their gold pieces, buy a lil house somewhere in Middenheim, and start a family.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2021 - 04:39 Reply with quote Back to top

The game has always encouraged coaches to retire the named pawns.

First with dirty player and claw/claws/mb/po, that'd "retire" your good players right quick.

Then with player cost rising with SPPs gained, and random injuries with every skill up for aging.

Then with CPOMB stacks, to kill all mens, and retire the rest.

Now with seasons, fundraising, and team redraft budgets.

Which, fumbbl has skipped for four years. We got the end of CPOMB, and the end of spiralling expenses to uncap team size, the end of the lightning bolt that would always target your best, but we missed the new attrition rule of seasons, so we're stuck with bigger and bloatier teams than the rules have ever expected. Ever.

So now, with the new BB20 rules that make it even quicker to build, more money, faster skills, choose your secondary skills and stat rolls whenever you like, clearly intended to even out the big dice swings you get in BB16 seasons, well, yeah, we're getting seasons too.

But BB has always had something to clean out old players. Always. This current thing where it's hard to hurt players (so the games are more about skill, which is cool), but also there's no reason to ever get rid of your legends, well, that's the disgusting bit. And it's about to end.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2021 - 06:25 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
If you play thousands of games just to achieve a good Legend with lucky random rolls maybe you should ask yourself if you are playing Blood Bowl for the tactical challenge or as a random player building simulator. Very Happy
Personally I play for the tactical challenge, the player building is a part of the game but not my main focus.

Why live life constrained to binaries?
LictorZ

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2021 - 06:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Auto WTR will also make keeping them a touch harder. I imagine this will be a toggle option for league admin.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2021 - 06:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Lyracian wrote:
Sure a fully random is unlikely to be good. However I can see a mostly random working. Take block and then lots of random strength skills. Maybe save for a stat increase.

Part of the question becomes how much you are willing to cycle players. The more you play the more chance you get for those to be the right random skills.

I wanna try out full randoms for every team type I plan on playing - I cant imagine that'll 'work' but it could definitely lend to the imagination what's possible and what to do with bummy randoms if you mix it up with selected and randoms. Also, it'd just be interesting to see how they comp to more curated teams along TV lines over time and at scale.

My expectation is that it's gonna be about 4-5 seasons before I have any sense of what I wanna do with purposeful skill selections...I'm gonna miss celebrating Nuffle's blessing...and gonna loath wasting time with a stupid ass Big Guy that was a mistake from day 1.

Maybe do 3 teams of the same type for interesting team types:

Strategic - Try to build a winner at all times
Random - Take only randoms
Experimental - Push the boundaries of sense and reason with those skill selections.

Ah, if only the time to play
 Jump to: