46 coaches online • Server time: 00:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Will you stall less in BB2020 to maximise you winnings?
I never stall anyway
4%
 4%  [ 7 ]
I won't stall, I want the money
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Probably stall less
16%
 16%  [ 23 ]
Winning is more important - I will keep stalling
59%
 59%  [ 84 ]
Not sure
9%
 9%  [ 14 ]
I am on the BB2020 boycott train
7%
 7%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 142

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2021 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

In leagues, I'd stall more with the new rules, at least after the first two or three games. If I can win 10k extra that I don't really need, by winning 3-1 instead of 2-0, that's okay, but if I can deny a rival 10k and make them shell out for players by stalling out for the 2-0 and stomping face for 4 turns, that's worth a lot more. Not sure that's true in FUMBBL [C] Division, but my TT friends are gonna hate me even more than they already do.

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2021 - 22:51 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
In leagues, I'd stall more with the new rules, at least after the first two or three games. If I can win 10k extra that I don't really need, by winning 3-1 instead of 2-0, that's okay, but if I can deny a rival 10k and make them shell out for players by stalling out for the 2-0 and stomping face for 4 turns, that's worth a lot more. Not sure that's true in FUMBBL [C] Division, but my TT friends are gonna hate me even more than they already do.

The cost of your injuries going up as you are receiving more blocks as you are stalling combined with the SPP they get from casualty will have more effect than just scoring promptly and pocketing the spp.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2021 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

cromag wrote:
JackassRampant wrote:

The cost of your injuries going up as you are receiving more blocks as you are stalling combined with the SPP they get from casualty will have more effect than just scoring promptly and pocketing the spp.
My experience is that there are two kinds of stalling: hanging on, and digging in. Hanging on is finding a way to keep the ball clean for another turn, while digging in is dominating an opponent who can't really get to the ball. I believe that I'm talking about "digging in" situations, as opposed to "hanging on" situations. That said, if the stall will produce a 2-0, as opposed to a 1-1, 2-1, or 1-0, you're probably digging in, and that's the situation I'm talking about.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2021 - 00:24 Reply with quote Back to top

cromag wrote:

That would seem unlikely. If you score they get three LOS blocks. Most of the time that is more than they would have got if you were stalling (unless it was going badly).

Wozzaa wrote:
In the new rules it'll be easier to build like that. So will be easier to build a team that is really good at defending. Instead of hoping for guard (doubles), I'll save up for it on one or two catchers.

Only 14 SPP for Blodge with new costs. An extra 18 to pick Guard. MVP is worth less but Catchers are going to be one of those players getting the most targeted SPP. I could certainly see rehiring a pair of Blodge Catchers and then getting Guard early in second season.
plasmoid

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2021 - 01:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the impact of TDs on winnings will do very little to discourage stalling.

I'm hoping that the "multiple rerolls in a turn" rule will make stalling riskier, which in turn should mean more pre-turn-8 TDs, which in turn should mean more short offensive drives (by the defense, after said early score).
I hope that comes true.
tussock

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2021 - 02:12 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL. You people.

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=12760593

5spp per game, multiple stat superstar inside 15 games. Because you score TDs and quick-build superstars and legends that roflstomp everyone who doesn't.

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=12760602

Because you have a stripper, and when they get a bit hurt and old ...

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=13449932

You just make another stripper after end of season because obviously.

https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=12880260

And you have the RRs and bench and a fetcher to support that because you scored TDs! Pile in every game and lose a few linos and who cares because you have cash.

Y'all got a lot to learn about seasons. As much as I'd stall in the tournaments, and 2-1 everybody, regular time just get gud at turning over the ball and run up some scores. Players get old, let 'em live a bit.

Man, it's a struggle on 7-game seasons, SWL gives a lot of bonuses there. But 15-game is forever and teams that score a few in most of their games will have a huge skill advantage over teams that compulsively stall.

Like, as fun as winning slightly more often is, a 4-2 win is cumulative +1 skill on your team most times you do it, or maybe 10 extra skills on that tournament team, plus another couple RRs to burn on those turnover attempt turns.

And yeah, my BB20 season builds will be a bit different to the BB16 season builds, but there's still ways to do all that stuff and a few random lino general skills and catcher dubs are gunna shine, if you can pile on the SPP to support them.

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2021 - 03:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Lower tv its often riskier to stall. We are so used to playing at higher tvs the temptation is to overthink what the options will be under the new rules. I think stalling is something you do when you are dominating the game (will still happen) or have highly developed players that can keep the ball safe when you aren't dominating (wont happen as much).

new rules also seemed to make it easier to blitz the ball carrier so my suspicion is that there will be plenty of games where stalling isn't really a safe option anyway and "score when you can" might be the smarter way to play.

Actually the best anti-stall option ever seen in the rules was allowing everyone to roster a team wizard which forced people to score in turn 7 and therefore give their opponents a chance to equalize. This also obliged every team to develop players who could move the ball and therefore made the game more exciting.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2021 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I feel like it's 2008 all over again Laughing

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2021 - 21:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Frowny wrote:

My proposal
-The first drive for each team each half is at least 3 turns, going into overtime if necessary.
-Reduce the number of turns per half to 6 (down from 8 ) to maintain game duration.

Yep, Identical idea to the one I've been thinking of testing.
Big issue is if the defending team score, take control and then stall, or take possession on turn 5 or 6. Then it kind of falls apart.
How you deal with those issues I don't know. Other than go for a similar approach to BB54.
 Jump to: