15 coaches online • Server time: 07:52
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
WoZoI

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2021 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello Coachs,
I am a beginner seeking for improvment.
I have been particularly lucky with this game https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4314797 even if I lost it.
I am pretty sure you can teach me what I should have done to score at least one.

My big mistakes was
- wasting a reroll with Roger turn 3 ... (feel shame...)
- to put my thrower on the los !!!

#1 how to defense on such striking adversary on the first setup ?
#2 How to beter protect the ball turn one when I stole it ?
#3 Turn 5 will you have tried a 1 dice on the ball bearer with side sted instead of trying to get 2 dices with a "gamble" support from the front gutter ?
#4 What to do turn 6 to score ? obviously it should have been my thrower at the rear, so imagine it was him, will you have tried to pass the gutter ?
#5 Turn 10 how to better protect the ball to avoid beein trapped in my own cage ?
#6 Turn 11 how to still better protect the ball (or should I have not to move down with the ball but in this cas what should I have done to protect it ?
# Turn 15 when the Blitz occurs how to score ?

I would really appreciate your insights !

WoZoI
MrCushtie

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2021 - 10:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm... two broken Blitzers you could sack (having a niggled Guard piece makes me nervous as he's going to spend a lot of time standing next to people and getting hit...)

In terms of ball protection, with an HMP thrower you could run Plague Rat and Ratapult to deep in your half, send the other Gutter forward to threaten, and wait for him to commit, then chuck the ball to the other end of the pitch and laugh at the short legged dwarfs... Caging up near the sidelines with lots of the opposition able to get in close made things immediately harder for you

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2021 - 10:53 Reply with quote Back to top

what does it mean :
having a niggled Guard piece makes me nervous as he's going to spend a lot of time standing next to people and getting hit...

I should not have set Guard on one of my blitzer ?
policeshades

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2021 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

#1 I prefer to protect positionals as much as possible, usually going for the anti-foul setup (even against teams that don't foul) or the same setup a few squares back. https://fumbbl.com/help:Defensive+Setups C2 is basically what I do many games.
#2 if you move Copper to 2 squares above Mustard and Ratapult 2 squares to the left of Mustard before going for the ball (forming a 2 sided cage), this would prevent the blitz on the ball carrier. It's not perfect but it means you can run out the back if needed too.
#3 You had a 2d blitz with Ratapult. You didn't need an assist with your 4+ dodging gutter.
#4 Perfect defence is difficult to attack against at the best of times. MrCushtie's advice about threatening with one gutter in behind the line on t6 and trying to draw the rest of the team forward is probably your best bet. In the worst case scenario, you launch the ball up the field with Hail Mary in turn 7 and hope you can dodge out with a gutter to score in t8 (assuming your opponent doesn't pick up the ball).
#5 You focused on blocking and invited pressure onto your cage. You can dodge and run away back to your line, forcing a decision from your opponent whether to come forward or stay put, hopefully giving up a space to attack.
#6 Stay deeper in your half, it's still early in the drive.
#7 Thunder rat can end a couple of squares further down and back from the line, protecting him better. Plague rat should get in scoring range a few squares into the opponent's half below the side line, protected by your other players. Edward coldshield could try to dodge to protect your other players but that's not necessary. You then hand off to Plague rat in t16 to try to score.
BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2021 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi WoZoI, good advice from MrCushtie. Here are my thoughts; but what do I know?*

#1 Watch replays of Fxiii for example his Skaven team Skaboom https://fumbbl.com/p/team?id=1021839

#2 great steal! You ran GR forward, but perhaps two squares back behind thrower would have been safer? Blitz with Zyclon you could have done a 3+ dodge by dodging to side, instead you dodged straight into the targets tacklezone 4+

#3 Human catchers are St2. 2D blitz with your thrower before rolling any other dice.

#4 Move GRs up the side into scoring range, similar to what you did, but at setup they were too far back. Thrower in backfield to retrieve ball exactly like you said, and your move would have probably worked.

#5 Many coaches hold the ball deep in the backfield far away from trouble. Skaven can cover a lot of ground when thrower moves forward, takes a short pass to GR > GR hands off to another GR > run run run!

#6 Is same as #2 really. I don't think you needed to switch sides or move forward. Just hide near sideline behind the screen of players who blocked the ball free. Hide behind Zyclon. 2D Block Le Veon with Ratapult, after you dodge GR to support.

#7 Don't do a blitz, just move Razor Rat into end zone 2+dodge 2+dodge, 2+GFI. Then dodge Thunder Rat forward for a throw.. and pray to Nuffle.

*I have not coached Skaven much at all, but I have played against them lots.

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2021 - 11:28 Reply with quote Back to top

ha, just seen PoliceShades has replied also.

Why not see how his Skaven handle my Dwarf team https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4263327
SPOILER: Dwarf team smash them about, but MV10 GR equalises in last turn 1-1

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2021 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you very much to take time to answer
I will look at all of this in details

kind regards
policeshades

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2021 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

BeanBelly wrote:
ha, just seen PoliceShades has replied also.

Why not see how his Skaven handle my Dwarf team https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4263327
SPOILER: Dwarf team smash them about, but MV10 GR equalises in last turn 1-1

That was a good game. Didn't see you'd added a note!

I am definitely not the best Skaven coach but have learned a bit in my time. My record is much better than when I started, that's for sure.

Last edited by policeshades on Jul 02, 2021 - 16:11; edited 1 time in total
policeshades

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2021 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

WoZoI wrote:
what does it mean :
having a niggled Guard piece makes me nervous as he's going to spend a lot of time standing next to people and getting hit...

I should not have set Guard on one of my blitzer ?

My interpretation of what MrCushtie means:

Guard on a blitzer is fine but to use it (actively), you have to be in tacklezones of (at least) 2 players. That means it's likely that there is a return block on your blitzer the turn after they use guard: they are more likely to get hit than a blitzer that stands back and blitzes. Any player with a niggling injury, like your blitzer, is more likely to be removed from the field if they get hit. Therefore you should sack the blitzer with niggle.

Your other blitzer also has an injury which limits his effectiveness. You should sack that one too.
Medon

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2021 - 19:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey WoZol what they say about firing injured players is sound advice, however, i think you first need to learn to play more conservatively. In that game you had 72 blocks against you which is really a lot. You will struggle to acquire enough cash to replace all the losses if you get that many blocks against your AV7. So my advice is first learn to play without making contact, and when you’ve mastered that, only then start firing niggled blitzers.
WoZoI

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2021 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

@Medon That's a conclusion I share : Learn to play without making contact

thanks
WoZoI

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2021 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advice to look at the replay.
How to find previous match replay ? for example with skaboom team : https://fumbbl.com/p/team?op=view&showmatches=1&team_id=1021839 how to see the first match, i don't find the replay button

Regards
Ardonite

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2021 - 00:16 Reply with quote Back to top

The first replay can be found from this screen
https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4279190
To get to this screen you click the green circle next to each match from the page you linked
WoZoI

Post   Posted: Jul 03, 2021 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

got it !
With such amount of replay I can resign from netflix !
howardelli

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2021 - 05:41 Reply with quote Back to top

That was a fantastic game. I didn't realize you'd left a letter!

I'm not the finest Skaven instructor, but I've learnt a lot over the years. My track record is unquestionably better than it was when I first began.
 Jump to: