45 coaches online • Server time: 12:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2021 - 21:14 Reply with quote Back to top

How will Redraft work when a team is in a Tournament?

Here is the scenario I am thinking about.
Forget the specifics of your TV etc for a minute.
Let's say your team has played 12 games during their current season and you enter THE FUMBBL CUP which could last for several rounds.

So your team is able to advance to a 4th game which would be the 16th game of your season... and should you win it you would POTENTIALLY advance several more games.

Will you be automatically FORCED to Redraft right in the middle of THE FUMBBL CUP or will you be able to delay the redraft until you have either WON or been ELIMINATED from the Tournament?

I can see this being of concern to Coaches and that might influence how many Prep Games they might try to play of a season (or not play) BEFORE a Tournament to either Redraft BEFORE the Tournament or ensure they will not have to Redraft during the Tournament.
(Or it might determine WHICH TEAM you would enter to the Tournament.)

Has this been determined OR even considered as of yet? idk I just thought of it.

And if YOU (as temporary Dicator of the site for this 1 decision only) were t choose how this is handled WHAT WOULD YOU DO? How would you handle this?

(A) Do nothing. You have to Redraft when you have to Redraft.

(B) Allow the Coach the OPTION to Redraft at 15 OR while still in the Tournament you can Redraft OR NOT when you choose.

(C) Allow teams in a Tournament to DELAY any pending Redrafts until they LOSE or WIN and the Tournament ends for them.

(D Delay ALL Redrafts until after a Tournament ends for a Team.)

(E) Tell me in the thread and I will add it in the OP.

I had at least 1 more I was going to put here but forgot it while I was typing. IF I remember it I will add it later.
Gotta go Work a Tournament Game myself at the moment. Not time for this for a bit.

Maybe I will add a POLL later too. Sp if you have an option OR maybe a better way to REPHRASE the options I have added let me know.

POLLS are good. Do we still have to have a PIE option or is something else required now.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 25, 2021 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't read it all, but I hear that you won't have to redraft until you are eliminated from the tournament.

I don't know what happens if the tournament has multiple parts. I'm guessing that the commish has an override.

Or maybe you could go tournament only and never have to redraft. That would be cool. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2021 - 02:13 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Didn't read it all, but I hear that you won't have to redraft until you are eliminated from the tournament.

I don't know what happens if the tournament has multiple parts. I'm guessing that the commish has an override.

Or maybe you could go tournament only and never have to redraft. That would be cool. Wink

Haha... Yeah. Tournament ONLY Teams!!!
From Rookie Royal Rumble to Fumbbl Cup and everything in between.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2021 - 02:52 Reply with quote Back to top

The way I understand it, you have to redraft after you're out of (or win) the tournament if you have 15+ games played in season, but not while in tournament.

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2021 - 03:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I believe Christer said it was once you hit 15 you have to either redraft or enter a torunament, and once you are ejected from the tournamnet by means of victory or defeat, you must redraft before you may enter another one.

Makes the most in-universe sense that way, consider the 15 games the season and a tournament the post season.

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2021 - 05:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Another option is to require all teams to redraft just before you start the tournament.

That has some benefits of making sure that all the teams are roughly the same and everyone’s cleared all niggles, etc.

If you don’t have that rule, then you might find that most people will enter the tournament after 14 games to maximise team size.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2021 - 11:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I would do both.

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2021 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Kransky wrote:
Another option is to require all teams to redraft just before you start the tournament.

That has some benefits of making sure that all the teams are roughly the same and everyone’s cleared all niggles, etc.

If you don’t have that rule, then you might find that most people will enter the tournament after 14 games to maximise team size.

FUMBBL majors have generally been partially about the spectacle of big teams clashing, so I don't think we're likely to see any redraft before what is essentially the site's big "playoffs".
mekutata

Post   Posted: Oct 26, 2021 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Redraft happens at the end of a team's season. So if you make it into playoffs you get to keep your team for this phase.

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2021 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

It sounds like this has all been decided with just a little disagreement on WHICH GAME you must have played before you enter a Tournament (14 or 15) and both make sense.
The consensus is 15 (but of course you could have played Less than 15 also).

This makes sense as mekutata has simply put it in the post above this post.

MAJOR Tournaments DO tend to happen AFTER a season IRL (although there are tournaments to BEGIN seasons and in the middle of seasons as well).

As Nuffle's Game is a year-round game, I suppose ALL SEASONS are subject to each individual TEAM and/or LEAGUE and their own definition as to when their SEASON begins and ends.
So Christers decision makes tons of sense and is the option I would have chosen should I have been the Benevolent Dictator of FUMBBL.

But something I realized thanks to Kransky is that there could be an element of STRATEGY for a team to REDRAFT BEFORE they enter a Tournament to perhaps ensure their team will receive INDUCEMENTS by being the smaller team.
Nothing wrong with that. Totally fair strategy on their part. It has advantages and disadvantages. Just like NOT REDRAFTING and using what I will call the TOURNAMENT LOOPHOLE will have its' advantages and disadvantages.

I suspect I will generally choose to use the Tournament Loophole (especially with Bashier teams and teams that have good CHEAP DEPTH) but I also suspect I might employ the PRE-TOURNAMENT REDRAFT at times. (And sometimes I will just enter a team regardless of where it is during a season.)

1 advantage I can see to the Pre-Tournament Redraft is IF you have saved your SPPS until after the NEXT SEASON is that you may be able to BUFF your team with a new set of skills on Healthy Players.
A 2nd advantage would be to be able to add new DEPTH to the Roster with fresh players that will not be unavailable de to MNGs or DEATH etc from previous games.

So I wonder what other advantages and disadvantages might you see available to teams that use either Tournament Strategy:
---Pre-Tournament Redraft
---Tournament Loophole
(and just entering a team at any point in their season if you see advantages or disadvantages to doing that)

And do you expect any certain Rosters to benefit from other Tournament Strategy?
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2021 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think a pre-tournament redraft is likely for most teams. I mean, back in LRB6 days, teams would amass vast treasuries, and it was pretty rare you'd see much cutting before majors, though maybe a player who was injured, mis-developed, redundant, or overpriced might get the axe, sure. So I think that you might see teams parking at 14 games, just so they don't risk getting smashed up just before a tournament, and perhaps you might see redrafts from young Skaven, Underworld, or Snotling teams so they have both low TV and big treasury for the tournament match, but I don't think it's a problem or anything, nor will it become the "new meta" (though it might be a thing that is sometimes done).

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2021 - 18:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Oh, wait. Are you talking about redrafting before a tournament, or during? Because a redraft DURING a tournament could be humongous. Get splattered but win anyway? Well, rather than carrying two Journeymen, you can redraft and be a fresh, ready 1270k or something going into the next game. That might be a fairly common tactic, for younger teams especially, if it's possible. Is it?

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2021 - 20:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Can we do a fundraiser to get Catalyst a new keyboard? It seems to be putting out caps a lot
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2021 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

stej wrote:
Can we do a fundraiser to get Catalyst a new keyboard? It seems to be putting out caps a lot
Rolling Eyes
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2021 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Oh, wait. Are you talking about redrafting before a tournament, or during? Because a redraft DURING a tournament could be humongous. Get splattered but win anyway? Well, rather than carrying two Journeymen, you can redraft and be a fresh, ready 1270k or something going into the next game. That might be a fairly common tactic, for younger teams especially, if it's possible. Is it?

I don't know if it is possible.
But that is what I want to know about in this thread.

IS it possible?
And will any Rosters consider it good strategy?

I think if your Roster could thrive on Inducements it might be an excellent strategy.

And I wasn't talking specifically about redrafting DURING a Tournament. Just before a Tournament (which would certainly be legal). Maybe Redraft and Park.
You came up with Redrafting during a Tournament based on what I said.
But YES. That too could be a strategy IF your team got smashed, yet still advanced, to help them to continue to advance rather than be a lame-duck against their next opponent.
IF LEGAL that could definitely be a potential 1 time per Tournament Tactic.

I think it SHOULD be legal. But I wouldn't complain if it was RULED ILLEGAL either. It would be the same rules for all of us so FAIR either way.
 Jump to: