37 coaches online • Server time: 13:50
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2021 - 09:26 Reply with quote Back to top

MiBasse wrote:
Bellenrode wrote:
koadah wrote:
Why do people keep talking about "pieces"?

This isn't chess.

In tabletop your players play the part of your chess pieces on the board (except in Blood Bowl it's called "the pitch"), hence the term.

Now, I could be mistaken, and I guess I shouldn't talk on Koadah's behalf, however, I suspect Koadah knows of your explanation, but the question was less of an actual question, and more an expression of distaste for treating Bloodbowl like merely a board and pieces, instead of a dynamic, somewhat flavored game, with players, coaches, and stories rather than neat score boards.

Both yes and no Mr. Green

Yes: I find it irritating.

No: It was a serious question. In the current rule book there are 1569 references to players and no references to
pieces.

I have grown up using specific names like counters, tokens, men, stones, models, miniatures, players etc.
Chess is the only game where I've used the word pieces. So it seemed a bit odd.

An internet search reveals that "pieces" is used as a generic term for token so I guess I'll have to suck it up.

I think it is a little disappointing that people would use such a generic term a for game like blood bowl.
But hey, I guess it is just a strategy game to some people. Wink

I suppose pieces is marginally better than pixels. Twisted Evil

It is a diverse world.

Post   Posted: Nov 23, 2021 - 17:04 Reply with quote Back to top

I called the Orc Thrower "Pieces" because I don't think I am allowed to continue on and call them "Pieces of..." ummm "...of Stuff" as per site rules.
 Jump to: