56 coaches online • Server time: 14:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
fu

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2021 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I have to play this painful match, Zons have most players with blodge and a couple guards, and I have no tackle (but 4 guards). I have to level up a blitzer which rolled 6+6 but league wise I think I better pick Dodge with him, because I think Humans won't be a good bashy team no matter what I do, and +STR means +50k, while picking tackle would imply wasting the doubles.

Besides I have some cash, I guess I can fire a lineman and hire the third catcher. I can't win the blood game, but I can try to win the passing game.

Opinions? Any good idea to win that match?
Kinks

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2021 - 19:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm...in my opinion taking 4 guards before taking a single tackle was a mistake. Although humans will not be able to out bash every team, you should always have one blitzer with Block/Tackle/Mighty Blow in most teams, to keep that option open and pick of key or vulnerable players.

For the double 6, presumably 2016 rules, a Strength 4 blitzer is a rare an special thing and not only useful for out bashing. As he already has guard he will be very good at protection, also with Str 4 he could be an excellent ball carrier. Arguably it depends on other teams in the league, but I think Str is nearly always going to be the right option here.

Don't beat yourself up about losing to zons, they have the highest win rate at lower TV for a reason. If you didn't have a tackler, you were always second favourite.

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2021 - 19:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like you're on the right track, strategy-wise. Your blocks are mainly going to be a lot of shoving around, but POWs do happen, so you just have to hope you can get some removals when you actually get knockdowns.

I wouldn't take tackle from that doubles roll, either. You do eventually need Tackle, but it's definitely a waste of the roll to take it now.

Push those ladies around, play a positioning game, and just stay on them. They'll have just as much trouble blocking you, and even with Dodge, they will eventually fail dodge rolls at some point. Good luck.
fu

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2021 - 20:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Kinks wrote:
Hmmm...in my opinion taking 4 guards before taking a single tackle was a mistake. Although humans will not be able to out bash every team, you should always have one blitzer with Block/Tackle/Mighty Blow in most teams, to keep that option open and pick of key or vulnerable players.

For the double 6, presumably 2016 rules, a Strength 4 blitzer is a rare an special thing and not only useful for out bashing. As he already has guard he will be very good at protection, also with Str 4 he could be an excellent ball carrier. Arguably it depends on other teams in the league, but I think Str is nearly always going to be the right option here.

Don't beat yourself up about losing to zons, they have the highest win rate at lower TV for a reason. If you didn't have a tackler, you were always second favourite.

2 of the guards are a lineman and a catcher. What I dislike about picking Str4 is that blitzer still will be an AG3 non dodge player, so he will be fairly easy to tie, or a serious RR drain dodging, on a 140k piece. Dodge will allow me to place him where I need him very often.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2021 - 21:49 Reply with quote Back to top

If you only care about this one game, take the tackle. If you care about development take the +ST. Or is he one of the guard guys? If he is then I can see the argument for dodge.

How many more games do you expect this team to play? What is the make up of your league?

Dodge is going to attract tacklers. Which is why you take tacklers. Wink

If your team is looking at a good long run, I'd favour +ST. Otherwise look at your next few opponents.

I'm assuming that you are using proper rules. Not this new nonsense where +ST costs 80k Twisted Evil

You don't really want to be playing a passing game but you do want to exploit your speed.

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2021 - 21:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I second Kinks's answer. Take the +STR. You'll need it in other games too. And Like HouseT said, pows happen.

You'll need a bit of luck, but even without tackle you are not without a chance.
Bram

Post   Posted: Dec 20, 2021 - 21:56 Reply with quote Back to top

fu wrote:
Besides I have some cash, I guess I can fire a lineman and hire the third catcher. I can't win the blood game, but I can try to win the passing game.

Firing a healthy lineman for a rookie catcher might not be the best of ideas either. If the zons have a tackler (with or without mighty blow), your rookie catcher is gonna have a hard time staying on the pitch. The lineman is more resilient. Besides, you seem to have already 2 catchers. That should be enough.
HouseT

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2021 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Bram wrote:

Firing a healthy lineman for a rookie catcher might not be the best of ideas either. If the zons have a tackler (with or without mighty blow), your rookie catcher is gonna have a hard time staying on the pitch. The lineman is more resilient. Besides, you seem to have already 2 catchers. That should be enough.

I second this. An extra lineman is tougher, and if anything, an extra one can be useful for fouling if it comes down to it. You've got extra movement with your Blitzers if it comes down to it, and they're definitely tough enough to manage.
Kinks

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2021 - 07:36 Reply with quote Back to top

fu wrote:
What I dislike about picking Str4 is that blitzer still will be an AG3 non dodge player, so he will be fairly easy to tie, or a serious RR drain dodging, on a 140k piece. Dodge will allow me to place him where I need him very often.

Well you shouldn't be dodging with him! Smile

a) If he's the ball carrier, he should be protected. If he does get stuck in a TZ, you should be able to easily blitz out with Str 4.

b) If you are using him in a blitzer/striker roll, again he shouldn't getting tied down, he should blitz and then retreat behind your other players ready to blitz again next turn.

c) Blocker role? Well obviously no need to dodge here.

Although Dodge would help you dodge in emergencies, you really don't want to be relying up on a 3+ dodge, with or without dodge, for important rolls, such as moving your ball carrier or even you blitzer. If you really do want to take the manoeuvrability route you can take Str 4 now, break tackle later for 2+ Dodges. Fingers crossed you'll get a double later and can take dodge (although knowing Nuffle, if you take BT hell give you +1 AG!)

Like Bram & HouseT, I wouldn't go with a 3rd catcher for the same reasons.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2021 - 09:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Kinks wrote:

Although Dodge would help you dodge in emergencies, you really don't want to be relying up on a 3+ dodge, with or without dodge, for important rolls, such as moving your ball carrier or even you blitzer. If you really do want to take the manoeuvrability route you can take Str 4 now, break tackle later for 2+ Dodges. Fingers crossed you'll get a double later and can take dodge (although knowing Nuffle, if you take BT hell give you +1 AG!)

Didn't think about Break Tackle, but that's a great idea

koadah wrote:
How many more games do you expect this team to play? What is the make up of your league?

9 games including this, then playoffs. There are 2 bashy teams (4 including the zons and goblins) and 3 agile teams.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2021 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Do the teams reset after the season?

Either way, it has to be +ST I think.

Post   Posted: Dec 21, 2021 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

If you have more Guards than them you have a chance.
Human Blitzers don't really need doubles though Dodge is worth taking on one. Mobile guard can be useful. All of +S, Dodge and tackle look good.
As you aren't guaranteed on playoffs maybe take the Tackle to turn this match into a win!