18 coaches online • Server time: 05:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion26

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2022 - 22:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey I'm about 40 games into my FUMBBL criteria so excuse my lack of background knowledge about the system.

I'm curious if Competitive is working as planned for stunties? I'm used to in tabletop leagues and BB 2 CCL having stunty teams run 100-400 less TV then other starting teams so they can get their planned inducements. Teams like halflings are usually built around deeproot and a chef for example.

I realized when trying to create a snotling team for Competitive that going with the low TV to get inducements doesn't work as planned as it appears the accceptable TV gap for matchmaker won't go that big.

For BB 2 they actually increase the TV by stunties by 150 (or possibly 300) for matchmaking purposes.

Does that make sense in FUMBBL?
If not then should there be something someplace telling someone new to the site that building your standard TV 600-850 stunty team and trying to use Competitive won't work. If there is that kind of warning I missed it.

At this point I understand enough about the matchmaker to realize when I couldn't find a match my snotlings I had to rebuild them but a month or two ago I wouldn't have realized that.

I realize RRR helps teams get enough games to widen their matchmaker window. But feels like it should be easier to just say 'I really want to try this idea out this team' without comiting to another league
tussock

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2022 - 07:17 Reply with quote Back to top

You can be like 10% under on fumbbl, plus add treasury for inducements, for your first game. It zooms up to 30% pretty quick, and then eventually becomes unlimited.

Gamefinder just used that to prevent big old teams picking on new coaches. I recall it was considered during LRB6 to give stunties extra inducements by default, but the data on games played said it didn't actually help them, and stunty teams still won slightly more often than otherwise when playing as the big dog.

And now in BB20, inducements are better, and snotlings are a thing, but also gamefinder is being rewritten, so this version will not be updated, it'll be replaced.

And for that, in future, I recall teams will generally be considered a minimum of 1000 TV (or something simliar) for matchmaking purposes.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2022 - 07:45 Reply with quote Back to top

tussock wrote:
And for that, in future, I recall teams will generally be considered a minimum of 1000 TV (or something simliar) for matchmaking purposes.

Presumably the same will apply to the box then? I guess the box will be flooded with snots.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2022 - 08:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Kinks wrote:

Presumably the same will apply to the box then? I guess the box will be swarmed with snots.

Corrected that one for you.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2022 - 08:54 Reply with quote Back to top

tussock wrote:

Whot? Really? Did C say that?

I think old box really harmed a proper Stunty experience. Yet I could understand the logic in a broader sense there.

But I feel if the new "ranked part" of C will also dictate vanillaTV approach for teams that are designed with inducements in mind would make no sense at all.

Regarding garion2 (really, there are only two of you here, so no need for such a hugh number) and his experience with fresh eyes.. Makes sense to keep that in mind when designing the new scheduler.
We had often have people asking in Discord why they can't get matches. Low TV was often the cause.

However, you can bypass the TV limitation already as you and your opponent can use a gamename to start a game instead instead of gamefinder. FUMBBL's Discord also offers a #lfg (looking for games) channel if you lack coache sto play with.

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2022 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

C has mentioned a 1000TV min assumption.

Not sure if that was a decision or just an idea. I bet he gets weary of people wrongly quoting him : )

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2022 - 17:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Agreed there are work arounds particularly if you are savvy FUMBBL vets but not easy or straightforward for anyone who is less familiar.

Competitive is most of my experience of FUMBBL and it works mostly like most online games with a "quick play" or "instant action" option (though with some unique competitive oddities given the self selection process) but it's not transparent to a new user that if you try to matchmake with a 'standard' stunty team it's not going to work to just drop into gamefinder and you are going to have to use online existing friends or another piece of software (discord) to get a game.
I've started to learn about creating games playing in the THRUDD tournament but that was new to me with my first week in the tournament.

I think 10% TV isn't enough for typical stunty team builds - Goblins sometimes come in at 900 but I often in BB2016 would build with a goal to have all three bribes in my first game. For snots and halflings trying to build an actually realistic team at close to TV 1000 without inducements was hard for me. For snots I have the theory (that I'd like to test in competitive) that the trolls and the basic snotlings are most of what you want and the positionals particularly the pump wagons aren't good value. My current attempt has four rerolls just to try and raise the TV.

I'm Garion26 -because it matches my user name in other games that have a lot more Garions then FUMBBL Smile I'm a poor shadow of FUMBBLs first and foremost Garion.

Last edited by Garion26 on Feb 08, 2022 - 22:35; edited 1 time in total
thekidxp

Post   Posted: Feb 08, 2022 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually have a similar issue with a new team that got beat up. It's UW and salvageable since I got decent SPP but with a Rogre and a GR MNG TV went down to 735k. So I haven't been able to find a match in the times I have to play.

So the TV range isn't a "rule" then? I thought about asking around on the discord or something whenever I have the time to play another match but I wasn't sure if I still had to find another team in my TV range since it's my second game or else it wouldn't be "valid" or be against the rules or something.
tussock

Post   Posted: Feb 09, 2022 - 03:06 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not a rule, no, you can play anyone with sharing a game name, discord's not too bad for finding games in #lfg, though you might need to book something for future.