50 coaches online • Server time: 18:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MrCushtie

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2022 - 02:41 Reply with quote Back to top

naytsyrhc wrote:

As an alternative I would love to have an implementation of the BB2020 redraft-rules in a competitive eternal league with the enforcement of redrafts for each team every e.g. 40 games.

The good news is this is already planned (with redraft after 15 games). The bad news is it's not here yet.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2022 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

But will it be mixed again or is it either Black Box or Competitive? Or will Black Box replace Competitive?
naytsyrhc

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2022 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
What is the problem? New Black Box is coming.

There is no problem. I just shared my thoughts about a MM algorithm and about resets in an eternal league. I just read the plans of the new black box (did not see that before) and think a reset after 15 games is ok to start with. Has to be refined maybe. Did not find any information about how the MM will probably work and thought it to be valuable to share my ideas.
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2022 - 10:46 Reply with quote Back to top

It will be mixed. The scheduler will be added to Competitive.

I believe it will be TV matched. There is already some discussion about it on the forum.

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2022 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, there was some debate on a forum thread somewhere. If I recall correctly it was largely whether matchmaking would be by TV, Game number (game number within a season?), or a combination
Garion26

Post   Posted: Mar 30, 2022 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

naytsyrhc wrote:
I just thought about that possibility to choose your opponent for while. I think the freedom of choice is always bad here and results in less games played or frustration.
A clever automatic algorithm is IMHO better in that aspect, as more games will be played and frustration can be minimized as the randomness makes the game interesting. It's boring to always face the same teams I only get offers for, because the other coaches see an advantage to challenge me with that team.
Isn't that the flaw of the system? Each coach will try to find the best opponent to win against and thus naturally there are less possible matchings.
With automatic selection of the opponents by games played, TV, CR and maybe (as said already) latest opponents races, there is much more variation and more possible matches. Or is that a wrong assumption?

I don't think it's a wrong assumption per se but it may be a wrong to assume that would make all players happier. So I think the question that has to be answered is the goal to create a more 'fair' matchmaker, a more 'interesting' matchmaker, or one that makes more players happy, or makes fewer players unhappy (those two aren't really the same). Getting to duck a bad matchup probably keeps some people happy who would be very unhappy with a disadvantageous pairing.

Christer has commented in the past that allowing wider TV ranges in matchmaking in Competitive has not been well received by all players.

Somebody playing Amazons runs into Dwarves may be really unhappy about it when they are used to being able to exclude the matchup.

Should they be able to exclude the matchup is a question of what are we trying to achieve. Like you I'm used to BB2 where you spin the matchmaker and get what you get without choice. But it's worth noting that CCL with it's built in forced team resets every season is different then C as currently implemented. I've realized a team with 30 games and the same TV as my team may be at a very different competitiveness level (Block on the big guy for example is worth a lot more then 30K of skills on the linemen and takes a lot longer to achieve.)

To me a matchmaker with similar games played and similar but not exactly the same TV without the option to duck match ups is more interesting. But it's fair to recognize at higher TV's a kill team matchup may permanently kill a good portion of one team.

Last edited by Garion26 on May 17, 2022 - 15:52; edited 1 time in total
Perezoso

Post   Posted: May 16, 2022 - 01:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Suggestion, show the user's average time per turn they spend, so slower players like me don't get matches offered/accepted by Super Fast Star users.
Stimme

Post   Posted: May 16, 2022 - 16:26 Reply with quote Back to top

jpereza wrote:
Suggestion, show the user's average time per turn they spend, so slower players like me don't get matches offered/accepted by Super Fast Star users.

Consider writing that you are a slow player here:
https://fumbbl.com/p/about?c=jpereza

You can also list your favourite fruit, and an inspirational quote!

Alternatively, start your team names with [4 min turns], I am sure people will get the hint.
Garion26

Post   Posted: May 16, 2022 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats quite a good idea if you know you are on one end of the time spectrum
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: May 16, 2022 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
What is the problem? New Black Box is coming.

+1

Also I need a serious box of Popcorn!
Melmoth

Post   Posted: May 17, 2022 - 11:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Java wrote:

Ah, the old "I've beaten you more than you've beaten me, so my opinion is more valid than yours and you should shut up" argument.

Ok, we are the only ones allowed to discuss something now as our record against each other is exactly 3:3, 6:6 TD and 12:12 Cas (probably all games played in cups also). Cool
Azur

Post   Posted: May 17, 2022 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Gentlemen, you MUST settle that draw.

And it should be a public event.

Fans demand it.
Java

Post   Posted: May 17, 2022 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

awambawamb

Post   Posted: May 18, 2022 - 00:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a 4:3 against Matt

JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 18, 2022 - 02:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm 2-0 vs awambawamb, and my name is also Matt.

Vengeance is Matt's!