76 coaches online • Server time: 21:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
are you interested in league format like this one?
yes
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
no
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

Avreus

Post 3 Posted: May 23, 2022 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm Testing one league in my local group with quite big success but i thing we have to few people in.

The rules are simple
-you sign in
-after we gather the needed amout of pleaople you will receive random team (out the secret league rooster)
-you try to win the season.

Ideally will be to have at at least 64 players but i'm willing to aim for the as much peaople as possible.
Garion26

Post   Posted: May 23, 2022 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the guys from the Anything But a One podcast were in a similar league either last summer or summer 2020. They talked about it on the podcast.

Their impression was IIRC that some teams are really low tier, or really odd and getting randomly assigned to one of them wasn't enjoyable to all the guys on the podcast. At least that was my impression.

here's a link to their cast and some episodes with secret league mentioned it appears
https://anythingbuta1podcast.wordpress.com/tag/secret-league/
Nelphine

Post   Posted: May 23, 2022 - 18:46 Reply with quote Back to top

what time zones? how many games in the season? if you can accomodate 12am-6am (server time, since i'm EST), i'll join
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: May 23, 2022 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Could get round that a little by letting each coach joining nominate a race for the teams pool (for example 12 coaches nominate 12 races), but still randomise which form that pool who gets what
Avreus

Post   Posted: May 24, 2022 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

C0ddlefish wrote:
Could get round that a little by letting each coach joining nominate a race for the teams pool (for example 12 coaches nominate 12 races), but still randomise which form that pool who gets what

Ok but what if coupe of them nominale the same team?
Garion26

Post   Posted: May 24, 2022 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

C0ddlefish wrote:

Again I'm not framing any critique of the idea just sharing my understanding of what I understood from the guys on that podcast's experience.

I think it's kind of like being assigned halflings randomly in a long term league. Some people are totally fine with the challenge of the stunty experience in a full league and some other players hate it.

Now imagine you have no idea how halflings play and realize a couple games into the league wow these guys are terrible. That seemed to be one cohosts experience.

If everyone nominates a team and some people nominate 'tier 3' teams not everyone will be equally content to randomly be selected to play tier 3 for a league, particularly if there are some tier 1 teams in the mix they are playing against.

But for folks who are good with trying new things I'm sure it could be great.
tussock

Post   Posted: May 25, 2022 - 04:42 Reply with quote Back to top

What we ended up with in SSL, which originally did random team assignment, was ...

A big supply of teams, took in more from SL. So, more teams than coaches.

Anyone who wants a particular stunty team, just gets to pick it ahead of time.

If we have "enough" stunty teams thereafter, about 1/7 of the final number, don't have more in the random pool.

Then just have roughly equal numbers of bash/middle/dodge teams from the rest of the randoms.

Also ended up with custom rosters and some boosts for the less good teams. Some of which even made it into BB20! Very Happy