42 coaches online • Server time: 18:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2022 - 18:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I think it's a bit hard to spot what kind of Skill players who levelled up can take.
The roster page shows a generic "Skill" when a player can take a new one, but it doesn't state what kind of Skill it is (Random Primary, Chosen Primary, Random Secondary, Chosen Secondary).

It would be nice to see a more accurate "Skill" link, telling exactly what kind of Skill can a player take (Random Primary, Chosen Primary, Random Secondary etc.).
"Skill" is too vague to be useful and after a while, if you have several players who could take a skill but you don't want to skill yet (because you want a Chosen Secondary or a Stat Boost, for example), it gets hard to spot which skill category each player can take.
Most of times I'm not going to take a random skill on my players, so it would be nice to have a more accurate notification.
So, if a rookie Orc Blitzer has 6 SPPs would be nice to see, rather than "Skill" link:
"CP, RS" (acronyms for "Chosen Primary, Random Secondary").

I know there are higher priority things and I don't know how much time coding it would require, but the roster page would be simpler to read and more user-friendly.

P.S. I experienced this with my Orcs and Dwarfs. With Elves, due to obvious reasons, I don't have many players saving SPPs for level-ups. Very Happy
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2022 - 21:01 Reply with quote Back to top

What about replacing the "skill" notification and the first choice in the pop-up window with a coded column? There are 5 possible states: no, rp, cp/rs, cs, stat.

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2022 - 21:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know what is possible to code, anyway, the idea is providing an instant information, at glance, without having to click on "Skill" link and then seeing the possible category choice. Maybe a sort of bar with 4 states, from "random P" to "must skill up" (there is no need to show "no skill" state because you can't take anything), displayed where the "Skill" link appears.
Even if I have the SPPs table written on a sheet of paper under the screen for quick reference it's still hard to check player by player on the roster page.
Not a tragedy, but being able to avoid the check player by player would speed up the process.
It's hot here and this weak biological brain gets slower! Razz

Another idea could be having, instead of the single "Skill" link, multiple direct links to the relevant category.
So, a player with 12 SPPs could have 3 links: 1 to Random Primary; 1 to Chosen Primary/Random Secondary, 1 to Chosen Secondary:

(RP)
(CP/RS)
(CS)

That way, by clicking one of the 3 possible links, the relative pop-up would appear.
Currently, you click on "Skill" and then you have to browse the possible options, it should be the other way around, i.e. having the possible options automatically displayed as links on the roster page, so you don't need to click and then check what you can get.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2022 - 22:04 Reply with quote Back to top

As someone who has only played dozens of 2020 games, not hundreds, i wouldn't like this change - skill uses up the right amount of space, but is intuitively understandable. The acronyms are not intuitive, even though once you know what they are, it makes sense.

I can see that for people who have a LOT of teams with a lot of skill update, you may forget which is which, but even then, i check skills after every game, and handle it then. And I check them all after every game, even if they haven't reached a new type of allowed skill, because maybe the team has changed and I want a previously accessible skill.

So I'm not sure I'd be in favour of this change, although I see where it's coming from.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2022 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I check skills and I put on "Ready" the teams after every game, but if I aim to get Chosen Secondary/Chosen Primary on some players I don't skill them up to save the SPPs and then it's hard to check them all the next matches because the roster page is full of "Skill" notifications (I have to check the max SPPs required for the stat boosts and check the column of the table to figure if I can take the skill I desire). The stat boost is easy to spot because "Must Skill" appears, but the in-between level ups are a bit tricky.
As I said, Elves don't have this problems, my Orcs and Dwarfs do. Smile
Java

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2022 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Clicking to look at a menu is too much work, apparently.

Post   Posted: Jun 17, 2022 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

A bit like clicking to check a roster on GF to see whether it has an Apo or not or other infos, yet steps to reduce the clicks have been made, such as adding the Apo info. This seems to show the intention to make things easier whenever possible. Before GF implementation games could be arranged only via PM and password, and results had to be manually uploaded, but it was more clunky. Then the GF and automatic uploading were made, and then GF 2.0. Things evolve, don't get stuck, otherwise we would still live in caves splintering stones.
Of course you can click to check, but it takes more time and can be a mess if you have more than 1 player who can level up (because you have to remember the player you just checked on the roster).
As I said, it's not a tragedy. If it's possible to improve the roster page Skill notifications as I suggested, good and well, otherwise I will live with it. I'm suggesting an improvement, not demanding it.
Java

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2022 - 00:20 Reply with quote Back to top

There is such thing as too much information, the current setup is satisfactory to me and making it more complex wouldn't feel like an improvement. Especially when the information is literally one click away (if one doesn't want to do "stat cost shown minus 6", or minus 12), rather than a different tab.

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2022 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Java wrote:
Especially when the information is literally one click away (if one doesn't want to do "stat cost shown minus 6", or minus 12), rather than a different tab.

You can't do minus 6 and minus 12 with the Legend row of the level up table, the steps are:

15 30 40 50

50 - 12 = 38
50 - 6 = 44
tussock

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2022 - 03:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Something like that copies the relevant info from the skill up window back above the link to it.

Fairly obvious, at least after one use, Without introducing a bunch of arbitrary letters to click.

Not too hard to visibly scan, much quicker than decyphering the "how many SPP short of the next must skill am I" question.

General life principle, never make people do repeated subtraction. Very Happy

Anyway, an idea, no idea how hard something like that is to code for web, but there's room for it at least. Maybe 5x5 or 6x6 pixel squares, but I had a 4x4 brush handy. 6x4 like the other page's ratio.

Post   Posted: Jun 18, 2022 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

You can't do minus 6 and minus 12 with the Legend row of the level up table, the steps are:

Very narrow objection since the overwhelming majority of players never get to that level, but technically correct, which is, as we all know, the best kind of correct.

tussock wrote:

General life principle, never make people do repeated subtraction. Very Happy

That's my job.

I like your concept, let's see what boss man says once they unlatch him from the bike.
 Jump to: