36 coaches online • Server time: 11:30
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion26

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 02:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Tried to introduce a friend to FUMBBL tonight but we couldn't quite figure out how to get JAVA to run on his MAC.

I found an article from 2012 on this site but doesn't seem to address the problems we were having.

He appeared to need to give specific permissions/exceptions when we tried to launch the FFB client
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 02:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah screenshot or the text of the actual error would be useful here.

It could be that the browser is trying to "protect" him from opening the file due to security concerns (which do not apply in this case).

That is usually solved by simply going to the download folder and directly open the jnlp file with javaws.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 04:24 Reply with quote Back to top

He figured it out after this post and we got to play a game. Not sure how he fixed it.
mekutata

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Mac BigSur won't open fumbbl jnlp files unless you go to to system settings, choose security and select "open anyway".
Otherwise check this page

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

mekutata wrote:
Mac BigSur won't open fumbbl jnlp files unless you go to to system settings, choose security and select "open anyway".
Otherwise check this page

He says that's exactly what he did
Medon

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I can’t open the jnlp files directly, but it works when i download them first, go to the downloads folder, right click the file and choose ‘open with java’
badger89

Post   Posted: Feb 06, 2022 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Same here

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2022 - 13:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, i’ve just managed to get my MacOS (Monterey) setting to work (ONCE).

Two stuff to know:
1- javaws is not enabled on MacOS anymore, you’ll need to rely on OpenWebStart to restore support for web launch. It was disabled because of real security concerns.
2- FumBBL uses unsigned JAR files, so your JVM will reject it with cryptic message such as:

Quote:
Fatal: Application Error: Cannot grant permissions to unsigned jars. Application requested security permissions, but jars are not signed.)

You’ll need to grant Java the ability to run anything (with is again a security issue).

I’ve installed OpenWebStart through brew using:
Code:
brew install --cask openwebstart

But you can install it manually. From then, use OpenWebStart to open your JNLP files.

Then you’ll need to edit your java.security file, and comment out this line of code:
Code:
jdk.jar.disabledAlgorithms

Commenting mean adding a sharp # character in front of the stuff.

This should allow you to play.
Christer

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2022 - 20:01
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Guibod wrote:
FumBBL uses unsigned JAR files

This should not be the case. I maintain a code signing certificate and I hope the JAR files used by FFB are signed. If this is not the case, I need to know which ones fail the signature check. My guess is that the root for the certificate I use (A Sectigo one) may not be available to Java on Mac. I'd happily work with someone who's technical enough to isolate the problem in detail and find a more suitable fix than allowing everything.
badger89

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2022 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Mac are not a friendly OS but I love using mine. Its a couple of extra think I need to do to play be am ok with that now

Post   Posted: May 20, 2023 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

If anyone has problem with running it on Mac, I solved it using https://github.com/karakun/OpenWebStart project and opening the files with it
 Jump to: