52 coaches online • Server time: 19:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Catch or Diving Catch on a Chameleon
Catch
52%
 52%  [ 9 ]
Diving Catch
17%
 17%  [ 3 ]
Both
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Neither
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 17

Waiting4Mish

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2022 - 12:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I like having two chameleons on my Saurus team and I'm trying to work out whether to go for catch or diving catch in order to get the ball in the hands of a player quicker from the kick off, bearing in mind that they start with on the ball. I think at a later time I might try and add pass. Any reasoning including from a mathematical approach would be appreciated.

Which would you go for?
Medon

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2022 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

For catching kick-offs, diving catch gives you a wider range to catch the ball. But: Catch can be more useful throughout the game, with interceptions (good synergy with on the ball as well), hand-offs, passes, etc.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2022 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

That fact they start with On The Ball makes Catch more appealing.

Unless the opposition has Kick, the chances are the ball will land within 3 squares of the centre of the pitch so Catch becomes a 4+ with a Catch Reroll. Diving catch would do nothing if you end up directly under the ball (as a kick isn't accurate), so all it does is add a 4+ chance of catching the ball if it drops 4 squares from the centre square.
I'm sure someone can do the maths but I'm not sure DC is that significant

Last edited by C0ddlefish on Sep 24, 2022 - 14:42; edited 2 times in total
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2022 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

The maths.

With On The Ball you have 50% chance of being under the kick and a 4+ with Reroll to catch it (37.5% success rate)
With Diving Catch you have a 66.66% chance of being under the ball with a 4+ chance of catching it (33.333% success rate assuming you don't burn a team reroll, 50% if you can)

Catch is better for general play too
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2022 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Can you team-reroll a kickoff catch? I thought not as its not your turn.. ?
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2022 - 17:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I did wonder that....dunno? Is it not the start of your 1st turn as the ball lands?
Lyracian

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2022 - 22:50 Reply with quote Back to top

C0ddlefish wrote:
I did wonder that....dunno? Is it not the start of your 1st turn as the ball lands?

No. The Kick Off Event ends with the ball landing before the turn starts.

Lyracian.
Waiting4Mish

Post   Posted: Sep 24, 2022 - 23:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Appreciate the feedback. It doesn't seem that clearcut but I went for catch on my first chameleon, tempted to go for diving catch on the other.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2022 - 04:07 Reply with quote Back to top

for me, catch is for the expected usual plays (for instance, the other chameleon is going to pass to him); diving catch is better for the wierd plays (like extending on the ball by one square and completely changing how things work). So diving catch is the higher ceiling, but catch is a much higher floor.

but, i don't think i'd want either in most games.

in most games, i only want catch (or diving catch) on a one turner (who already has MA9, sidestep, sprint, sure feet), not on a runner. and a one turner needs to be a normal skink, not a chameleon. and i don't want diving catch, i want +AG.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Sep 25, 2022 - 16:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Catch is usable any time you try to catch the ball, regardless of whose turn it is or what type of action is taken. This makes it really good for when you're around the action and the ball might bounce to you. Since you'll probably be catching on a penalty, a reroll has a big impact, an 83% buff at 6+, a 67% buff at 5+ (bringing you over 50/50). Diving Catch only works when you're planning around it, while Catch does that too and gives you unexpected goodness from time to time.

Oh, and then there's the handoff.