43 coaches online • Server time: 12:25
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2022 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been seeing more and more of this, and I don't really get it
Both teams forming up in lines without gaps, facing each other, usually on 1 (or 2) rows
Generally bash teams with Guard

I can see some advantages, it means the opponent:
-can't push through the middle,
-can go into contact but will then suffer a lot of blocks back
-is kinda forced to blitz only the edges, which makes their forward progress slower. and these could be your ST5 or Stand Firm players etc

It does mean you present all your players in a row, which means any of them could get hit. So you wouldn't do it with a wardancer or something

I don't really get this defense tbh. I also don't understand why it is also used in offense, like why are both teams doing it at the same time in the above image?
Surely for the offense, it's just making their drive very slow

Can someone provide some explanation, about why and when you'd do this on defense / on offense?
The pro's and con's, the requirements, etc
Cheers
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2022 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Its dworfs.

They stupid.

also they smell.

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2022 - 17:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I do something similar, with two players, then a gap, two more players, etc., Except maybe in the wide zone. It's good if you want to maximize your blocks.

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2022 - 17:48 Reply with quote Back to top

ALL MENS LOS! SHIRTCOPTER!!!!!!!

I do this on defense whenever i have very strong (4+) players to put on both ends, and can cover the entire middle of the pitch so that they can't get any blocks except at the ends. Usually 9+ players on the LOS, against fast teams. If the opponent has lots of guard, its still usually a terrible idea.
amazingprizzini

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2022 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know, this seems like a quick way to get your team bashed in on defense.

I think I've done this once or twice, thinking I had enough strength to resist the whole line.

I did not, and my line got knocked over like dominoes from the outside in.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2022 - 18:59 Reply with quote Back to top

sure, like i said, you have to be pretty sure. but i do it with my orcs (4+ guard, 2+ stand firm) against elves or skaven (even if they can take down the edge, they need to move players in to get the assists needed to take down that one player, and stand firm means they can't just move on to the next one in the line), and i've done it with very highly developed lizards (6 stand firm, 8 block, 8 mighty blow, 7 guard).

i completely agree with less than that kind of absolutely strength dominance, its a bad idea.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2022 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

You mean stacking the LOS or running a wide line formation in the backfield? Stacking the LOS is only good if your opponent is way down players or grotesquely out-ST'ed. Line formations out of contact, OTOH, are a good way to force contact without ceding the initiative.

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2022 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't mean all-mens-LOS
It's still 3 players only on the LOS

It's just after that, some playstyles seem to put a solid line in the middle of the pitch.
Not really backfield, sometimes it's right on the halfway line or just next to it
amazingprizzini

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2022 - 20:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess it's a way of controlling the center pitch, but it seems like it's inviting mischief down the flanks that even slowly offensive teams can take advantage of.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2022 - 22:24 Reply with quote Back to top

yup its a way to protect the most players on your own team (only the ends can be blitzed without at least dodging away).
i agree it usually gives up too much positioning to be worthwhile generally, but against the right team (and dwarves and nurgle come to mind), it could have its use
ben_awesome

Post   Posted: Nov 28, 2022 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Against a slow team, they can't follow up the blocks without getting into contact and eating blocks, it slows down the offence of the already slow attacking team as they make little to no gains in moving the ball forward.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2023 - 07:34 Reply with quote Back to top

It this being done by "GOOD" Coaches or do these Coaches SUCK and LOSE alot?
I would think Coaches that are doing this LOSE LOTS OF GAMES
 Jump to: