53 coaches online • Server time: 14:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kinks

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2023 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

You asked for feedback, so here goes.

As for the specific values, I don't play enough or have enough experience to objectively provide anything that your thorough calculations haven't already. All I can say is I broadly agree.

Whilst I admire your optimism and am grateful for your efforts, I don't foresee any such suggestions been adopted on a large scale, especially if a new addition is on it's way. However, I do like the idea of uniting a standing up as players to get what we want out of the game. Thank you GW for creating and developing a great game, but here is what the players would like to see. (Slann teams back!). With those things in mind, I think any petition to GW may be better targeted towards the next editon.

So, although your calculations are very thorough and would be a good short term fix, I don't think they take into account the big picture. I've seen PC say several times it was a mistake to buff star players 3 times in one go (Discounted, extra unique skills & more widely available), which does bring up one of the other issue, wider access, which could also be addressed to keep these stars in line. Pricing Hackflem for Skaven or UW is not the same as pricing him for Chorfs. That could be addressed through a preferred teams cost and acceptable teams cost perhaps? Yet still, I don't think PC goes far enough, there were more than 3 buffs: Toping up inducements got easier, earning gold increased, building your own stars got hugely nerfed (injuries, redrafting, obscene pricing for +1ST). For me, to really bring stars back into line redrafting and team building need to also be addressed.

Sorry, not a clean answer, maybe not even helpful. The thought was there though Smile

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2023 - 02:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate it immensely! I think I may be tackling too much.
Kinks

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2023 - 06:10 Reply with quote Back to top

“The greatest danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.”

If you don't try we will never know.

Any constructive feedback that gathers enthusiasm from the masses is likely to make it's way to those that count. Maybe worth reaching out to those that have connections and influence. I see PC is already following the post, although somewhat more sceptical than me. AndyDavo maybe? I believe he runs a tourney and frequents GWHQ regularly.

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2023 - 06:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Another step might be to create a league of some sort using them on here, as a starting point.

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2023 - 06:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Or a tournament? Are we allowed to create [C] minor tourneys?

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2023 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

[C] tournaments would use the regular C ruleset so you can't modify star costs there

you'd need a separate ruleset and league setting

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2023 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Kinks wrote:
Another step might be to create a league of some sort using them on here, as a starting point.

Is the roster built?

If it ever gets going, O[L]C 2020 would be interested.

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2023 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Boa Kon'ssstriktr is missing his prehensile tail.
(Must have hurt!)
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2023 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

thank you very much! Still in group 4, but not by nearly as much
coombz

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2023 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Seventyone wrote:
...and yet GW allowed this to happen in the first place and also haven't fixed it for anything bar NAF style tournaments.

That is the real lesson here

like the post above you said...they wanted to sell more star player models

That's Trailer Park Life.
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2023 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

sure, but if all of their stars were in the -5 to -10% range (like chaney or karla), i think they would see ALL of their stars, instead of just the mega stars.
Garion26

Post   Posted: Jan 27, 2023 - 21:27 Reply with quote Back to top

coombz wrote:

like the post above you said...they wanted to sell more star player models

Reminder arguably the 'best' star GW makes (Griff) is included 'free' in the starter set for BB 2020. That's hardly the approach to take if making a lot money off sales of stars was important. There is also an Ogre in the box set that could be easily painted as 'Morg' in anything other then the most hardcore WYSIWYG environments. Thats two of the four best start players in the game.

As Nelphine points out GW would make more money if all stars were equally 'broken' as it would make sense for coaches to own all of them to have in your arsenal.

As it stands if you want to be competitive you want to own the 'big 3/4' stars and there is no reason to ever buy the rest of stars.

Last edited by Garion26 on Mar 26, 2023 - 21:52; edited 1 time in total
remetagross

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2023 - 07:42 Reply with quote Back to top

(I hope it's not so late this counts as thread necromancy)

Very interesting take. I have one question here to @mekutata

mekutata wrote:
Maybe useful for leagues:
So we integrated dynamic costs in XXXL. Players that get induced raise costs, players who remain unused lower their costs.
So if Bomma gets to play a lot, he will grow in costs and will be less likely induced at later stages of the league. At the same time some overly expensive players may become quite a bargain after 5 matchdays.
It's quite some work for the league admins. But I feel it works well so far, handling "too good" stars and also making sure to have different inducements on different matchdays.

So,after a few months, where do the star player prices of that league currently stand ? This is a very useful experiment. How have you been tweaking the prices ? +5k per week where a the star player has been picked at least X times,-5k if it hasn't been picked at least Y times ?
mekutata

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2023 - 08:21 Reply with quote Back to top

remetagross wrote:
(I hope it's not so late this counts as thread necromancy)

Very interesting take. I have one question here to @mekutata

mekutata wrote:
Maybe useful for leagues:
So we integrated dynamic costs in XXXL. Players that get induced raise costs, players who remain unused lower their costs.
So if Bomma gets to play a lot, he will grow in costs and will be less likely induced at later stages of the league. At the same time some overly expensive players may become quite a bargain after 5 matchdays.
It's quite some work for the league admins. But I feel it works well so far, handling "too good" stars and also making sure to have different inducements on different matchdays.

So,after a few months, where do the star player prices of that league currently stand ? This is a very useful experiment. How have you been tweaking the prices ? +5k per week where a the star player has been picked at least X times,-5k if it hasn't been picked at least Y times ?

Hi,

our regular page broke in the last API update by fumbbl, but I just fixed smth temporary yesternight.
We are in playoffs, so these are costs after 9 full matchdays, for the duration of the post season tournament prices remain fixed until we reset for next season.
If you notice dirt cheap players, that means they didn't get much to play which always results in bargain inducements at this stage.

https://fumbbl.com/p/notes?op=view&id=8709

Costs change +10K/-10K based on if they get to play or not.
Costs can also change in our league due teams buying these players under Exclusive Contract.
If you hover over their current costs, you can see what they cost at start of a season.
Between seasons we also tweaked those initial base costs based on general popularity of players (f.i. Dribblesnot went up 100K way before GW reintroduced him to vanilla bb).

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2023 - 15:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm always interested in further discussion on this topic. Stars are somewhat meta, so if people have further comments or suggestions, I'm always open to them.
 Jump to: