42 coaches online • Server time: 00:54
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2023 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm starting to paint a chaos dwarf team using the excellent Greebo miniatures.

What colour should I use for hobgoblin skin, green or orange?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2023 - 12:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Green. More or less, the same colour as Goblins (or slightly darker). Not too light, not too dark.
According to background, Black Orcs have dark green skins, then the normal Orcs, a bit lighter green, then Goblins, then Snotlings. Hobgoblins should be, more or less, in the green colour range of normal Orcs/Goblins.
Just don't paint your Hobgoblins dark green.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2023 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Either is fine really. The orange skin actually comes from early on in GWs development where they took most of their designs from dungeons and dragons. They then changed it to light green for their game.

That said orange is still fine. Hobgoblins are green skins in terms of their race, though both is acceptable in current lore.

I'd choose which ever goes best with your armour paint scheme.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2023 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

If you use a black base coat (which is the most commonly used) green is better, from a practical point of view.
To have a good orange you need to use a white base coat and that requires to spend more time (because you have to paint the black "boundary" lines between different coloured parts of the miniatures).
Also, green is easier to highlight than orange.
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2023 - 14:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your answers, Matt and Garion.
My thoughts are similar to what you say. Green feels more correct according to current GW lore, and they are clearly green here on FUMBBL. Orange might still be okay if you go by older lore. I'm following the colour scheme of the bloodbowlpainter for the chorfs and his hobgoblins are orange/green. They seem to tie together with the bulls and minotaur much better than usual goblin green would. I don't have the painting skill to achieve that green tinted orange so I have to choose green or orange.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2023 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Green is for GW wimpy hobgoblins who can't even take on an orc at even money. Orange skin and red-blue noses are for closers.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2023 - 15:58 Reply with quote Back to top

The Greebo hobgoblins sure look mean. GW lore is that hobgoblins are sneaky and cowardly, the kind who would prefer to put the boot in an already downed orc. So you are probably correct, orange for brawling hobgoblins and green for fouling hobgoblins.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2023 - 19:54 Reply with quote Back to top

If I were doing orange/D&D hobgoblins, I would use a human or orc template. As Humans, I might have Halflings and Catchers represent D&D goblins, while as Orcs, the Big 'Uns would be bugbears. I like the former more, hobgoblins are the thinking person's medium sized humanoid. Also, Regeneration aside, D&D ogres and GW ogres are reasonably similar, while D&D trolls would have MA6 and Animal Savagery.

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2023 - 20:14 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
If you use a black base coat (which is the most commonly used) green is better, from a practical point of view.
To have a good orange you need to use a white base coat and that requires to spend more time (because you have to paint the black "boundary" lines between different coloured parts of the miniatures).
Also, green is easier to highlight than orange.

Matt if you haven't tried zenithal priming with GW's wraithbone (light cream color) and a black or brown of your choice you should.

I've moved entirely over to wraithbone / grey seer zenithal with an initial coat of army painter or similar black/brown.

Green skins is much easier to pain over wraithbone they they ever were over black. The GW contrast greens doing a very nice color for goblins and presumably hobgoblins.

https://www.thearmypainter.com/advanced-techniques/spray/zenithal-priming/

That being said Blood Bowl paint jobs tend to have a lot of latitude. My snotlings/gnoblars are bright yellow.
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2023 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I used to paint all miniatures with black undercoat to get the free blacklining that Matt mentioned. Then I realised that when amateurs like me paint tabletop miniatures, they often get too dark, so I switched to white undercoat. Might try zenithal, do you think it will make a difference for a less accomplished painter? I usually do base, shade and one or two highlights, mixing in some contrast painting.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2023 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Never tried the wraithbone, but, even if I used that, I still should have to do the blacklining. When I started to paint I used the Skull White (mid 90s) undercoat, then I switched to Chaos Black (I know, old GW colours).
Unless I had to paint High Elves (WHFB 4th edition), I used the black undercoat for most miniatures. That said, this is my experience, your painting technique may vary.
I found the black undercoat way quicker (especially if most of the colours of the miniature are dark and/or metal). I don't know the current GW colours, but the Goblin and Dark Angel green colours I used were quicker to paint on black undercoat (and the blacklining faster).
For a bright orange instead (for example, Troll Slayers' beards and hair) I used white undercoat + some yellow (Sunburst) + orange ink wash (or just Blazing Orange thinned down with water) or white + orange + some yellow for the hair highlighting (white drybrush on orange hair, then yellow drybrush to highlight the hair's and beard's details).
I never used black undercoat for the orange parts, or, if I used a black undercoat for the Slayer's body, then I used white on the orange hair and beard.
Garion26

Post   Posted: Jan 30, 2023 - 22:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Chrisdekok wrote:
I used to paint all miniatures with black undercoat to get the free blacklining that Matt mentioned. Then I realised that when amateurs like me paint tabletop miniatures, they often get too dark, so I switched to white undercoat. Might try zenithal, do you think it will make a difference for a less accomplished painter? I usually do base, shade and one or two highlights, mixing in some contrast painting.

Zenithal is an aid to anyone at low to moderate skill levels. High level painters (that's not me) have their own tricks. You can actually do three tone zenithal on bigger minis (black, grey, white) but not probably worth it on most BB minis.

"Slapchop" is a hot button term the last six months in youtube painting vids which just means zenithal prime and then thin coats of paint on top which is just putting a silly name 'slapchop' on top of what people have been doing for decades. Use of thin paint layers or contrast and a zenithal going to give you natural shading and initial highlighting it's a big time saver.

Matt - you get a lot of black in the shadows with zenithal and may get the blacklining you are looking for. You may have to blackline some edges later, but with nuln wash or thinned contrast black that's a lot easier then it used to be. I also used a super fine point black marker for blacklining in the past which is a lot easier then painting, but again with contrast/nuln I don't usually bother anymore.
PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2023 - 02:33
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

MY Hobgoblins are based upon the Blood Bowl first edition card players:

https://www.thenaf.net/bborg/illustrations_1st_player_cards.htm

Post   Posted: Jan 31, 2023 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

A video that has some simple cheats for improving at painting I recently shared in our local gaming group https://youtu.be/ee_xAxjbDfA
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Sep 11, 2023 - 09:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Paint them whatever color you want. They are yours.
 Jump to: