49 coaches online • Server time: 19:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
remetagross

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2023 - 18:55 Reply with quote Back to top

This skill sucks so hard.

What would it take to turn it into a viable choice ?

How about
"This skill negates Claw, Mighty Blow and Dirty Player"

or
"Thi skill prevents any modifier to armour rolls made against this player"

The first one denies MB' and DP's ability to impact the injury roll, while the second one denies foul assists instead.

Or it would still not be enough ?
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2023 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd prefer the former but just caveat it to 'whilst standing' so you can't modify the Av roll on a block, chainsaw etc.....but you can on a foul. Thematically that is because when fouling you can target a weakspot more easily.

Saying that there are other skills that need sorting before IHS.

I'm looking at you Hail Mary Pass and Running Pass....
razmus

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2023 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Introduce a popular Slaanesh team which spams claw and has some strength access. (Or just make the Chaos Blocker on a Slaanesh aligned Chaos team 110k, but start with Claw!) Or a popular orc variant roster with mutations. And/or add another (0-2) positional to chorfs which get mutation access as a primary. That might make having the counter to claw more popular... I-)

(The game of rock-paper-scissors is a lot less fun when you know no one is taking scissors...)
((Of course, the current game of Blood Bowl is more like rock-paper-scissors-BOMB!))
(((Oooohh, Oooohhh... how about a 50k star player bomber with a special 'Fragmentation Grenade', in which, once per game, the player can choose to throw a frag grenade instead of a standard bomb... but in addition to hitting like mighty blow... it hits like mighty blow + claws. That might help make iron hard skin more viable. Star player name could even be something like Ned Kazacynski.)))

Last edited by razmus on Mar 27, 2023 - 19:50; edited 1 time in total
spelledaren

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2023 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes should be that skills can not modify armour rolls made against the player (no DP, MB, arm bar, claw) but injury bonus still ok.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2023 - 20:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Also if you are AV 8+ or below you can choose to reroll it as a random if it shows up Smile
But yeah, I would say no mods to armor checks while standing is probably fair to make it worth it as a 3rd or 4th skill on a LoS dude so the mighty blows stop raining down so hard.

All that being said... It's not the worst skill in the game as-is, or even the mutation skill list. (Looking at you Hail Mary Pass, Pile Driver and Very Long Legs)
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2023 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't forget Shadowing.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2023 - 20:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Shadowing is great on some players, like Skinks and Human Catchers, at least as a random, wouldn't pick it. Iron Hard Skin is awful.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2023 - 21:33 Reply with quote Back to top

But Shadowing is a G skill. Are you really going to randomize a G skill on a Skink (mind, the idea of randomizing a G skill on a Skink is not wrong in itself, you could get useful skills such as Sure Hands, Block, Wrestle, Dirty Player, Kick) and keep it if it's Shadowing (even if it's expensive at 20 TV for what it does and doesn't protect/gives reliability to the Skink either)?
I insta-fire the players getting random Shadowing. It's super bad.

About Human Catchers: it's not just a matter of cost. If you take Shadowing as random skill you are using a skill slot you could have used to take Block or Wrestle. You can take Shadowing as random, ok, but then your Catcher is not protected, and the chance to get injured increases. Assuming you are lucky and get Block/Wrestle at second level up, now you have a Shadowing Block/Wrestle Catcher.
Not terrible, but worse than a Block/Wrestle Side Step Catcher.

For my WE Catchers I tried the random G approach (the idea is getting either Block or Wrestle within the first 2 level ups), followed by random A skill once they got Block/Wrestle. Never kept Shadowing Catchers. Dodge demands Block/Wrestle as soon as possible

About IHS: teams able to get Mutations have better skills to get than IHS, so the fact it's a bad skill is not a problem.
Chaos, Nurgle, Khorne need Block, Guard, MB, Claw, on most of their players and Block, Dodge, Two Heads on their ball carrier + stat boosts. So, even if IHS were boosted, it would not be taken anyway because the former skills have higher priority.
remetagross

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2023 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

C0ddlefish wrote:
I'd prefer the former but just caveat it to 'whilst standing' so you can't modify the Av roll on a block, chainsaw etc.....but you can on a foul. Thematically that is because when fouling you can target a weakspot more easily.

Well I don't think it would be overpowered for it to work even againt fouls, if not the most thematic rule. The question for me is : if I decide to roll random on Mutations, and I end up with IHS, with the above house-rule, do I keep the dude ? I'm inclined to say yes. With the current version... bleh.

@MattDaka very good point about chosen skills. To be fair I don't think there's anything that can be done with IHS to make me want to pick it as a chosen skill.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 31, 2023 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks!
On the bright side, you don't need to take IHS so, as I said, it's not really a problem, if not for the sake of academic debate. Smile
 Jump to: