50 coaches online • Server time: 19:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should Halflings only play games when they can Induce?
Yes-the team was designed to play with some inducements
34%
 34%  [ 28 ]
No- They are designed to be a challenge and should select their games the same way any other team would
38%
 38%  [ 31 ]
Halflings make great pies, just remember to remove their clothes first
27%
 27%  [ 22 ]
Total Votes : 81

XZCion

Post   Posted: Sep 02, 2010 - 07:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Halflings can take very good advantage of inducements and when playing in a league TV management is crucial to being competitive. Specifically making sure you can induce the chef and deeproot every game.
Similarly for gobbo's you want to be inducing some of their cheap stars and all 3 bribes every game.

Now, if you're in a league or a tourney, in TT or here on fumbbl, you can do that.
If you're playing in a different beast, like B or Cyanides MM system, then you may or may not have the option to get the inducements you want every game.

Fortunately, being competitive is not why you take flings or gobbo's (or ogres, vamps, etc). So I really don't see the problem :]

In addition, the ffb client is not complete yet, as it does not have the petty cash rules in (though, personally, i'd prefer the bank rules) which would allow you to buy inducements with your teams treasury $$ and would mitigate some of this discussion.
Ullakkomorko

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2010 - 08:06 Reply with quote Back to top

XZCion wrote:
In addition, the ffb client is not complete yet, as it does not have the petty cash rules in (though, personally, i'd prefer the bank rules) which would allow you to buy inducements with your teams treasury $$ and would mitigate some of this discussion.

Petty cash won't really be a help with halflings. The chef costs 100k and that equals around 2-4 games winnings, especially as you cannot be guaranteed to win or draw regularly with halflings. The additional problem with petty cash is that it gives inducements to the other player. Giving the other team 100k (if you have to use petty cash in the first place to buy the chef) in inducements guarantees at least bloodweiser babes for the other team. And that's only for the chef. Forget about any of the powerful stars.

Goblins could work around this with buying one bribe with petty cash when playing 10k-40k down TV (in which case the opposing team would only get 10k-40 in inducements which buys nothing), but that would equal picking matches in this sense as well.

The inducement system means that even a big difference in TV doesn't mean an unfair match, especially when we get wizards. Inducements are fun and looking down at stunty teams that try to pick games where they can enjoy them seems to me downright mean. I'd love to see someone cry "Dirty rotten picker!" at a coach who gets challenged by someone with halflings that are 400k down in TV. Just for the record, I did this myself a few days back and I have no regrets. Poor dark elves. Smile
GalakStarscraper

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2010 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

This edition was designed as best as possible to be played in leagues like FUMBBL and Cyanide that go on forever. The reason the rule set was called the PBBL (P = Perpetual) is that the design intention from day 1 was to create a ruleset that would work for an open league system that went on forever. That was the MAIN design goal from day 1. Tournaments were NOT considered for the rules at all other than for one rule and that was the change to Apothecarys to work on KO'd ... that I admit was a bone being thrown to tournaments but that was the only one.

As for Halflings. Halfing inducements are designed for them to be competitive. However as has been stated ... a good Halfling coach will be managing TV to work well. If a Halfling coach plays against another Halfling coach at his TV it should be a game that works as intended. Halflings by design are meant to only win between 30% to 35% of their games. (same for Goblins and Ogres). So the point here is that against equal TV Halflings should be okay but when teams start getting skills Halflings more than other teams need an extra boost to even up larger TV differences which is why they have really kick butt inducements. Its not because they can only win if they have inducements ... its because if they have a TV difference in match that needs a higher level of inducements ... they need really good ones.

Galak/Tom
SillySod

Post   Posted: Sep 19, 2010 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the original question can be summed up as...

Is an experienced halfling team at a disadvantage relative to a rookie halfling team that uses more inducements?

Answer: only if the experienced team is badly managed (or has completely run out of both halflings and cash, at which point it would be better described as an ex-halfling team).

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
 Jump to: