42 coaches online • Server time: 18:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ramchop

Post   Posted: Nov 07, 2020 - 22:24
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

SWL Emilio Luthien Conference LXXXIV
Game 2: MrCushtie's Chaos "Real Fake Alternative Facts" Image

Turn 1: Riot
Turn 2: Minotaur vs Treeman

The apo managed to restart his woody heart, but Slumbering Leaves is now Strength 5 and misses the next game.

The damage to the wood elves continued and Bravado were pressured into a turn 4 score.

New captain Volos Jonasson, managed to leap and hit Ag4 Chaos Warrior Mighty Zug, and strip that ball on T7. Other elves swarmed in, and prevented the equaliser.

Second half Volos went early, leapt into the cage and wrestled Zug to the ground.

Nicholas Palesnake fouls Volos Jonasson (c):
Armour Roll [ 6 ][ 4 ]
Volos Jonasson (c) has been stunned.

Armour Roll [ 1 ][ 4 ]
Volos Jonasson (c) has been stunned.

Armour Roll [ 1 ][ 5 ]
Injury Roll [ 5 ][ 4 ]
Volos Jonasson (c) has been knocked out.

Volos hadn't abandoned his team, the team had already mostly abandoned Volos. With 6 players on the field there was no stopping the Chaos juggernaut. But there was stalling them. When the Facts scored there were 10 chaos players on the pitch, and a measly 2 Bravado. I don't think we'll be winning a Heart trophy this season.

Full time: 1-1 (0/0/0) - (2/2/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2020 - 10:08
FUMBBL Staff

Game 3: Foad's Norse "Blackwater Cockfighters" Image

Norse receive and score early. Bravado looking good to equalise before the half is out. However, Ag4 Legend lino Stuart, the End Level Guy, is in range to skirt the screen and hit the carrier.

But why run so far for a 2D hit, when an Ag3 can simply go up the guts? Leaving surehanded blodgy Stuart to collect.

Turn 8, not gone yet. Captain Volos to the rescue, injuring Stuart (apo'ed), with the lovely Glee taking the team into the break with a TD.

Halftime 1-1

Bravado receive, screen, and Artoria the catcher through towards a likely score. Would she get hit by more dodgy Norse shenanigans? No, she has newly acquired sure feet. Let's get some distance between the ball and the angry Norse.

First gfi [1] sure feet rr [1], Badly hurt.

And so the blitz was instead used to crack the screen, collect the ball and win the game.

Desperate measures to retrieve things came to naught. A likely 2-1 win (or at least a 2-2 draw) reversed to a frustrating 1-2 loss.

The frustrating games can be fun though. Sadly this one wasn't. I hope in time I can look back on it and remember the cool plays. Instead the takeaway is I'll be searching for the spectator mute in future. I know it exists as other coaches have mentioned it. This game: every wood elf success was booed. Every snake or skull rr skull was cheered. Nuffle induced frustration turned into anger and sadness. Kick a coach on the end of a beating and poor dice when he's down. When did I become the bad guy?
/aah

Full time: 1-2 (2/1/0) - (1/1/0)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Nov 27, 2020 - 21:08
FUMBBL Staff

Game 5: ClayInfinity's Dwarf "Blue Mountain Giants"Image

Game 62: Bravado receives, try to stall but forced to score earlier than we'd like. The elves manage to hold out the dwarves. Dwarves grind up and score end of second half.
Final score 1-1 (0/0/1 - 1/0/1)

Game 80: Bravado receives, try to stall but forced to score earlier than we'd like. The elves manage to hold out the dwarves. Dwarves grind up and score end of second half.
Final score 1-1 (0/0/0 - 3/0/0)

Game 94: Bravado receives, try to stall but forced to score earlier than we'd like. The elves manage to hold out the dwarves. Dwarves grind up and score end of second half.
Final score 1-1 (0/0/0 - 1/1/0)

Maybe we'll get a result one day.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2020 - 20:17
FUMBBL Staff

Turn 1:
Glee Strawberry starts a Move Action.
Dodge Roll [ 1 ]
Glee Strawberry trips while dodging.
Roll a 2+ to succeed (AG 4 + 1 Dodge + Roll > 6).
Re-Roll using DODGE
Dodge Roll [ 1 ]
Glee Strawberry trips while dodging.

/cheer

<ramchop> where's that mute button?
<ramchop> first time ever I've used it

And what followed was another intense and enjoyable game of SWL.

But I guess that mute button marks a transition point. In the past I've happily endured (or was it participated in?) an endless tag team of unbroken crickets - without question the most annoying sound in the game. Engaging with the crowd has been fun, maybe it was more fun when they were completely anonymous. SWL has become a different kind of fun (no, not the masochism, that was always there).

When I first came to SWL I was in awe of the history of this league. It's been going since 2003! As well as this blog I've participated in the Wastepac faction meta, Twahnlows, All Stars, Fantasy League, Death Watch, Fluff (Cobber Ponzi and Bloody Bakers Dozen are my two favorites), DIBBL Invaders, and dug deep into the history to create the Records.

For now though it's the competitive aspect of the league that is my focus. SWL is brutal and I love it. "I wasn't looking forward to this one".. I haven't searched it, but I'm sure I've written that or something similar a few times in this blog. It's not true though. I look forward to every game. It really is a fantastic league.

However, it has become more and more difficult to find something new to write about. I've tried to find an interesting snippet in every game, and hope I've had success. I've always said to those who start something similar - primarily do it for yourself. With missed games it's been clear for a while that this has been becoming a bit of a chore, so it's time to stop.

I could hold on for another Pugs game, Bravado's 100th, transition to BB20.... but there'll always be another milestone. The mute button seems an appropriate time for silence.

Seventyone

Post   Posted: Dec 05, 2020 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for All the gifs and write-ups ramchop. I've really enjoyed reading about your teams. Well done!

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2020 - 00:36 Reply with quote Back to top

A great column, always a great read. Many thanks for this gem - it has been appreciated.

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2020 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Just wanna second and third Seventyone and Foad. This has consistently been the best blog on this forum (and many others I've read), the first thing I'd read before anything else, it really is a gem. I can see that it's been a labour of love, and if it's now more labour than love, I can understand why you'd step back from it. Thanks for the laughs and the good times, it's been great to read.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Dec 06, 2020 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:
Game 5: ClayInfinity's Dwarf "Blue Mountain Giants"Image

Game 62: Bravado receives, try to stall but forced to score earlier than we'd like. The elves manage to hold out the dwarves. Dwarves grind up and score end of second half.
Final score 1-1 (0/0/1 - 1/0/1)

Game 80: Bravado receives, try to stall but forced to score earlier than we'd like. The elves manage to hold out the dwarves. Dwarves grind up and score end of second half.
Final score 1-1 (0/0/0 - 3/0/0)

Game 94: Bravado receives, try to stall but forced to score earlier than we'd like. The elves manage to hold out the dwarves. Dwarves grind up and score end of second half.
Final score 1-1 (0/0/0 - 1/1/0)

Maybe we'll get a result one day.

As your Dwarven nemisis, I too want to thank you ramchop for the regular column. I appreciate that doing this each week is a big deal and that since the ending of Dan Dan's career the enthusiasm may have waned, but i too just wanted to add my appreciation for the posts and they will be missed.
Grod

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2020 - 03:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Here's to ramchop - the only coach that when asked to score a one-turn chain push touchdown, would interpret the world "chain" to mean a Goblin fanatic...!

Oscar Wilde
MrCushtie

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2020 - 07:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the posts, ramchop, and everything else you've done for the SWL

Post   Posted: Dec 07, 2020 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I too have greatly enjoyed this blog and seeing an update is always a bonus. Thank you for your efforts.

If the cheering of failures is bothering you, I might be able to explain because I can do similarly (though I probably wouldn't cheer a double 1). Sometimes I'll decide to support a team as if I was their fan. It's not about the coaches! So I cheer when good things happen for the team and boo if their players are hurt. Perhaps other spectators are behaving similarly and simply supporting your opponent's team.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2021 - 10:11
FUMBBL Staff

Socrates Conference LXXXV
Game 1: Viktor_the_Penguin's Chaos Pact "Mutated Alliance"Image

0-0 Turn 10 Time for some elfball

Dodge (2+) [3]
Leap (3+) [2] rr [4]
1D hit on block ball carrier Image
A scatter and a crowd throw that could've gone anywhere
Dodge (2+) [1] dodge rr [2]
Pickup with surehands (3+) [3]
Pass with accurate and pass (3+) [6]
Catch with catch (2+) [6]

Yet another odds post? Sort of. Ignoring the scatter and the crowd pass (which is ignoring a lot), Samba says with team rr it's 30%
What I was interested in was how much worse would they be in BB20? Since the thrower was the one to do the collection, it's only down to the leap changing from a 3+ to a 4+. Samba says 24%

It's a significant nerf, but with those rolls it still would have worked. Next drive I was down to only 5 elves and there was no passive defence option. There were dodges aplenty. But the only other leap in the whole game was the turn preceding the successful one. [1] rr [1]

What will BB20 mean for Bravado? Who knows? I feel it will be quite a bit more difficult. Maybe I've missed my chance at Prem success. BB16 WE easy mode? Two other wood elf teams took 3 titles between them in the 13 BB16 seasons so far.
However, the famous Slumbering Skink took 25 seasons to win their first title in LRB4. What's that, ~180 games? Bravado haven't even hit 100 yet. There's always hope.

Full time 1-0 (0/0/0 - 3/2/0)

====

And what happened to "That's All Folks"? I had an enjoyable game and something occurred to me that I wanted to write about. So, I guess it's back on. Perhaps. I'm not going to put myself under pressure to come up with something every round. And there's no way I'm going to go back and try to do the games I missed. If there's something I want to say, I'll post. Don't hold your breath. But I do care about this blog, so I expect there will be more.

Thanks to those who said kind words, it means a lot.

====

No preseason post? Nope. But here's what the season looks like:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
ramchop

Post   Posted: Jan 20, 2021 - 10:57
FUMBBL Staff

Oops, seems I missed the positive modifier that the leap skill dishes out. There is no difference at all in odds between BB16 and BB20 in that example (thanks tussock).

Let's reboot the blog with a facepalm . Seems appropriate.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Feb 07, 2021 - 21:57
FUMBBL Staff

Game 3: Pyates16's Orc "Waaaaghton Redskins"Image

After smashing dark elves 3-0 (1/0/1 - 0/0/0) in Round 2, Bravado sat pretty alone at the top of the table. Next up, the perfect way to celebrate the woodies' 100th game, against an old foe and the coolest team in SWL.

I've gushed over the Redskins before. Impak is now wearing a wants to retire tax of 180k. With coach Pyates also retaining the services of a similarly old troll the orc inducement game had reached 400k for this encounter.

First half, forced to score early, Bravado were left with 6 turns to stop Impak. The old dodge back and screen defence seemed to be working well. But Impak is a Legend.
Dodge (4+) [1] dodge rr [5]
Dodge (3+) [2] break tackle!
In the clear and a bit exposed, there was a decent chance at a 2D tackle hit on the ball carrier. Except the catcher for the assist was a snaking Stuart.

Halftime 1-1

The second half was all about Impak. If I couldn't stop him in 6 turns, how could I stall him for 8? Short answer, I couldn't. Bravado needed to get the ball off Impak. S4, Blodge, Surehands and flanked by a guard troll and a guard blitzer. Looking like a -2D hit required.
A wrestle lino tried it. And failed.

Turn 6. Let's attempt something sneaky, for a 1D

Stuart the snaker would have to withstand something special to get out of this one.
Image Image Image - Blitzer (with tackle)
Image Image Image - Impak (with tackle)
Image Image Image - Troll
Image Image Image - Black Orc

After skipping away, all that was left was to answer the question: Could I turn a draw that felt like a win into a draw that felt like a loss?

Answer: No. A crazy end to a crazy game. Didn't feel like a loss at all.

Fulltime: 1-1 (0/0/0 - 2/0/1)
ramchop

Post   Posted: Feb 12, 2021 - 23:54
FUMBBL Staff

Game 4: Klazam's Lizrardmen "Blood Crag Stripes"Image

Sometimes you try for the 6+. Even when you know you shouldn't, when you know you'd be better off regrouping, saving the reroll for a 1 turner attempt. Let them score and get an extra roll at the KOs (so many KOs).

Yet sometimes you try for the 6+
Sometimes you get the 6+ !!!

And sometimes it doesn't matter anyway.

Fulltime 0-1 (0/0/0 - 1/2/0)
 Jump to: