42 coaches online • Server time: 16:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Domfluff

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

"In order to make an assist, the player:

1. Must be adjacent to the enemy player involved in the block"

If your ball and chain hits your own player, can you assist the block on either side? Does the word "enemy" here refer strictly to your opponent, or to the opposing player in the block?

(Points about whether someone you're swinging a ball and chain at will swiftly *become* your enemy are somewhat secondary, I feel).
chimp2010

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 12:14 Reply with quote Back to top

if you hit a guy on your team i believe there are no assists involved ('Enemy' or otherwise) It's just a straight up strength vs strength block
Domfluff

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

From the CRP:

If during his Move Action he would move into
an occupied square then the player will throw a block following normal
blocking rules against whoever is in that square, friend or foe (and it
even ignores Foul Appearance!).

The older Ball and Chain rules used to ignore assists, but no longer (which is why they pushed their strength up).

I think you shouldn't receive assists, but the only rules I can see to back this up involve the strict interpretation of "enemy" above, which feels rules lawyer-y to me.
tussock

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 14:18 Reply with quote Back to top

At a guess, from playing with the ST 7 and ST 6 ones, vs ST 5 and ST 2 players mostly, both the B&C and the friendly he's hitting get assists on the block, from every guy on your team who's touching the other player and not in a TZ.

It would explain how ST 6 can end up 2d vs ST 2, but ST 7 never does, nor does ST 7 ever end up 1d vs ST 5 (because 9 vs 4 is still 3d, but 8 vs 4 is not).

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

BB2017 page 30

"Extra team players of the attacker and defender give an assist"

I'd read this as opposition players give no assists as they are not extra team players of either the B&C or the defender.

However "Attacking coach must declare if any players will give assists first, then defending coach must add defensive assists"

So assists are optional for both attack and defence.

"Must be adjacent to enemy player involved in the block"

As you point out enemy is not well defined - I'd take it to mean opposition so no assists but certainly something that should be clarified in Errata/FAQ.
Twelfman

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I assume this is as a result of our convo. Kids at home, I went to a tournament and managed to hit my ball and chain... with another ball and chain. In turn 1.
Domfluff

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Yup, thought I'd throw it to the floor. The only time I've run two Ball and Chains they headed straight for each other and both downed, but I was curious about the general case. I believe that you can't assist a block on your own player, but I can't find a solid ruling.
Buu88

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Twelfman wrote:
I assume this is as a result of our convo. Kids at home, I went to a tournament and managed to hit my ball and chain... with another ball and chain. In turn 1.

How is that possible??? I have never hit one of my own players. You can easily avoid your players by being smart about the direction you choose.
Domfluff

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2017 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

You haven't seen Twelfman play.

Sometimes the risk is worth the payoff. Not that time, obviously.
Twelfman

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2017 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Buu88 wrote:
You can easily avoid your players by being smart about the direction you choose.

Now see, thur's yer problem...
Twelfman

Post   Posted: Aug 18, 2017 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Domfluff wrote:
You haven't seen Twelfman play.

Sometimes the risk is worth the payoff. Not that time, obviously.

Hey, I still won the game!

(it was on tabletop and I forgot a goblin had a ball and chain.)
Domfluff

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2017 - 00:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, hitting your own players can be extremely useful - getting another space or two of movement can be vital. Not so much on another ball and chain, but chain-pushing goblins can be huge.
ananio

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

I have experimented with the client today and this is how assists seem to work when blocking friendly players:

1) Friendly players give + assists
2) Enemy players do not give - assists
3) Enemy players can cancel friendly assists

No player had guard in my experiments.
smallman

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 13:38 Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm I was quite sure I seen enemy give assists. like if a fanatic out in the open touching 2 x str 3 players, you only get 2db
Nelphine

Post   Posted: May 25, 2020 - 16:44 Reply with quote Back to top

The Nuffle league has also been running into inconsistencies with this. It sounds like assists are always optional, so you would expect ananio's explanation to make sense, but you'd expect enemy players to ALSO give assists against the B&C.

So if S7 B&C targets a S3 friendly, and there is one enemy in base with the B&C (and that enemy is not in base with any friendlies, and no one else is in base with the B&C), you would expect it to be a 2d vs the friendly. I THINK.

But I don't know exactly what happens in all the variety of situations.
 Jump to: