30 coaches online • Server time: 19:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Palled33

Post 11 Posted: Dec 22, 2017 - 20:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Interested in people’s strategy with this event...!!

I guess you want teams that are going to start fast and well as it’s the first 40 games that count, so I’m initially thinking:

Dark Elf 3
High Elf 2
Pro Elf 2
Human 2
Goblin 0

For my 9 budget. I’m mainly going for elves as I feel they start well because they can all score whereas good bash teams take a while to get going

I’m just wondering whether the goblin team will be a significant let down, but whether that’s offset by the chance to take delfs. I guess the choice is between, taking khemri and underworlds/vamps, or delfs and gobbos, and which combo has better chances over 40 games.

What are you guys all doing? Smile
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2017 - 21:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The best 5 team squad is one you'll actually play 200 games with.

Elves in box can be a miserable experience btw - if you get a bad start, there are very few opportunities to recover later.

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2017 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I think malmir made a smart move by avoiding stunties, at the price of not having any 3 point teams
Rbthma

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2017 - 22:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I took races I had ideas for the team names cause this means I'll play them more (more fun). Nurg/Pact/Flings/HE/Vamp isn't ideal, and I wish I'd started my Nurg different as they suck.

Best teams for me would probably of been: HE/WE or Skaven/Vamp/Flings/Dorf(stress relief)

depends how you like to play though - that lineup probably isn't for everyone
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Dec 22, 2017 - 23:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Certainly no universal answer to this but keeping in mind you're in for the long haul, I think High Elves and especially Vampires are good value for the points. By the same token, yes, Malmir's meta gaming seems sound, although of course if he wins it we will never know if that was due to his clever pick of teams or just because he is Malmir. Wink
kummo

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 00:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I made different builds on paper and tried to count how many wins i would get with certain race-pack. Tried to add pure agility, pure bash and mix groups. Tried to max out 3 x 3 point teams, mix of 3 and 2's with stunties and even 2,2,1,1,0 tryout.

Looked at my current record and average record (with box coaches/all coaches) and tried to find out realistic results i might get (usually ending up between 40-60%, 55% being quite common assumpion for me, stunties had less than 40 ofc).

In the end i assumed the current build would gain me most wins and ties in 200 games which ended up being:
- khemri
- slann
- high e
- pro e
- vampires

Swapping one 2-point team to 3-point team while reducing vamp to stunty would not gain me more points i felt/analyzed/thought.

Those should gather more than 100 points for me which i think will not give me a top spot but lets see if i under- or overestimate myself.

I will keep playing variety of races and will do same kind of assumption for next season too (even if point per race keep same i think i will either have developed more, found new race i'm actually good at that is worth swapping in and can see my own weaknesses and strenghts and see more realistic scape/meta where i am competing in).

Altho i am thinking that i should do some kind of themed 5-group.. like.. max ag4 out or do as much mutation as possible (+ gobbos cuz altho they are not mutated, they are very chaosy)... but unsure about if i want to keep minmaxing or if i'd lean on having fun instead Razz
thoralf

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Verminardo wrote:
if he wins it we will never know if that was due to his clever pick of teams or just because he is Malmir. ;)

Tomato, tomacco.

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 01:27
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Persoanlly i think the value races are:

Human
High Ef
Pro Elf
Whichever of Slann/Khemri you can coach (neither are easy, Khemri slightly easier)

and then vamps. Because underwhelm underwhelm.

The sole problem with this approach is that the 2.5 points for racial leader will likely not be available to you, firstly because there are a lot of those 2 point teams in the competition, and secondly because Malmir is going to win those ones.

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 01:38 Reply with quote Back to top

I took teams I hadn't played yet; Pact, Khemri, Undead, and then two I need for grid filling in box where my old teams are stuck too high to catch the needed games, Ogres and Vamps.

Young Pact are a good learning experience, Khemri are a strange team, Undead are easy mode, Ogres are hilarious, Vamps are ... why do I have 2 RRs on rookie Vamps?

Anyway, take what you're going to be happy to play for 40 games each, it's your best bet. Or something no one else is using for the free points. Or whatever you're relatively good at for more points. Or something that's good in box (vs Chaos, Orc, Dorf, Chorf) like Necro. Or Elves.

But really, Malmir has 14.5/16 for Khemri at this point. Wow. That is really quite good. Mine are doing less well. Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

You want the 5 teams you are most motivated to play. This will make you play a lot better.
Burnalot

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 03:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I think HE, Pro Elf, Human, Khemri and Vampire is possibly the best.
I took HE, Human, Khemri, Dwarf and Ogres, because I like to play Ogres and I did not want to have two elf teams (don't enjoy playing them that much).

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

See this post, where I answer the question with actual win rate stats:
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&p=715903

Purely by the numbers, the strongest squad is Lizard, Necro, Khemri, Vampire, Halfling.

That's if you'll play all 200 games.
A 2-point-cost squad of vampire, underworld, goblins, halfings, ogres is better if you will play less than 26 games per team

To avoid using the 0-cost teams, personally I went with: lizard, high elf, khemri, vampire, underworld
Because i wanted to play UW and i wanted to avoid flings. it meant swapping necro for HE but i wanted to try them, and have necro team already

The linked post shows expected points returns.
i think picking a team you'll enjoy and will suit you is far more important than dropping the small points it might cost you
Rags

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 12:15 Reply with quote Back to top

" we will never know if that was due to his clever pick of teams or just because he is Malmir. Wink[/quote] "

They're both the same thing!
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Sp00keh wrote:
Purely by the numbers, the strongest squad is Lizard, Necro, Khemri, Vampire, Halfling.

Did you factor in TV and number of matches when arriving at your conclusion?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 23, 2017 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I would avoid the Gobbos because they are clearly weaker than UW/Vampires.
The Steel Box Challenge should have forced to play at least 1 Stunty team. With the points system you can avoid to play Stunty teams.
 Jump to: