60 coaches online • Server time: 23:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Step 1: donate $10 to FUMBBL, above any donation you'd otherwise have made.
Step 2: send me 2 recent match reports where you lost or tied and think that with a little more skill or luck you could have won.

I'll review your matches and see where you're at, see what I can see, see if we can't make you a better coach.

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

lawofthewest wrote:
Many people are willing to do something in exchange for something, it does not have to be of monetary value.
if you would start a fundraising campaign, I bet many people (inculding me) would be happy to donate

There is a donate button, and while I agree people are willing to spend time on stuff for no money, can we not assume that the people who are providing us with this website/game are already doing what they feel is "enough"? They've already proven that they care beyond monetary gain and yet we feel entitled to ask more? I don't.

My own blood bowl league website is self funded precisely so that I can do with it as I will, at my own leisure. It can be better for sure, but I would need to invest a lot more time and effort into it. Fumbbl isn't your's or mine to get upset when it doesn't have the features "we" want. That's arrogance.

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

If others are a little exasperated with your points it is because many of these things have been explored before. It's not your fault that you don't know this but at the same time asking the questions in a different way may have achieved a better result.

I am not hugely knowledgeable about these things so may get this wrong and hopefully others can correct me:

1. I think the rights for Blood Bowl were discussed once and the figure bandied around was something like $1m. I don't think anyone was being particularly serious about it but just to show that it's likely out of our reach. That is likely more so now that GW has revisited Blood Bowl.

2. There have long been others who have been prepared to give their time to help on the coding side but this has been declined because, and this is where I maybe most wrong, it would be a lot of work to bring others up to speed and the risk is that they either don't remain committed or accidentally cause more complications than good. I am personally very sympathetic to this position as in my job we often have well-meaning, smart people who want to move things on quicker but because they don't have the full context can make things accidentally more challenging.

3. I think you have yourself now identified that the bugs you suggested are not that big a deal. It is best to keep the pull on people's time for when material changes are needed.

4. Donation drives are held from time to but (see point number 3), they are normally for critical things like meeting the running costs or replacing hardware. I hope you'd agree that paying people, who have said that paying them to do it wouldn't be the motivation they needed, to make changes that I think you've agreed aren't exactly critical, is not the best use of these donation drives.

5. We're all guests here benefiting from someone else's generosity. We try as a community to support the decisions they make and enjoy what they generously provide. We are obviously critical but always trying to recognise that we ultimately and rightly have no say in how they choose to do things.
lawofthewest

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

@Harad + @Darthphysicist: well spoken, I agree with both of you, except that I am arrogant -> If I come across like this, I would like to apologize as it is not my intention. I think I want the same as you, namely to improve the game and sometimes forums are not the best way to discuss "hot topics" - face to face discussions or even video chats are better as you can see facial expressions, gestures etc.

To sum it up, I want to thank all of you for your patience and for sharing your points of view, it has helped me to change my mind ( a bit Smile ).
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 21:31 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the one thing you don't understand is the nature of the site. This site is a 100% fanboy site. Everything that anybody puts into the site is done to make it better for the group. Imagine it like an ant colony. Fundamentally it is different to a game that has advertising for revenue and a completely different animal to a commercial game. Time and effort put in is a donation. The coder has done immense amount of work for the site, for a hobby he doesn't play that often. His personal life has seen a lot of hardships and still he adds for the benefit of the colony. Is it perfect? No, but no site like this ever will be.

The other frustrating point is the percentage amount of ants doing work compared to the ants reaping benefit is very small. I found this extremely frustrating. I feel in the past I have done more work here than nearly any ant and I ended up getting frustrated and depressed by the 'want want want' 'not give give give' mentality of the ant community. So I gave up. Situations like recently where icons were requested, but those wishing to put in the work (even though I offered to teach them) was minimal. Even me suggesting such a thing that (and ok I am blunt) was an affront to one member. I should get off my backside and do it. And comments like that just push me further away. I still make stuff all the time, but why should I spend the time uploading it and sharing it?

More annoying than that and which comes to your point is the Coder's pleas for testers. When the coder releases a version of the client or an update he requests testers. There are a few hardcore testers who always man up. However the response is laughably bad. Almost all coaches ignore the requests and just play normal games on the current client.

So if there are bugs, things aren't correct look at yourself or those who could have done something about it. Not enough ants and too many crickets.
lawofthewest

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 22:12 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, if I can be of any help, I would like to do some playtesting.

Rule 1: Never tell everything you know.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 22:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Then if you get a bug check and report here.
https://fumbbl.com/p/bugs with as much detail, links and turns and what happened. Essentially you are playtesting in live games now.

Actual playtesting is before a client/update is released. The more coaches that playtest, the more bugs that are found. The fact that the client has bugs shouldn't be blamed on the coder in my opinion. It's all those that were playing and didn't playtest.
lawofthewest

Post   Posted: Mar 11, 2018 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

done. Posted the 2 bugs I found out myself (one is probably known, the other one is pretty exotic). Will use this in the future if I encounter any bugs.
lawofthewest

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2018 - 15:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Did someone make a walkthrough video how to beat an opponent in a certain situation? many game situations repeat themselves (how to break a cage, how to setup in turn 8/16 when you are facing a OTT team) this would be helpful if there were any videos people could watch

ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2018 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

There are 2 rules of success:

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2018 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

ArrestedDevelopment wrote:
There are 2 rules of success:

love it XD

lawofthewest

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2018 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I noticed in Ranked that it helps if try to find teams that have many MNG players, little re-rolls or have a high loss rate.
Some consider this "cherrypicking" , some consider this a wise choice of opponents.
Also scan if they have a lot of Mighty Blow/Claw players -> this might end with many injuries on your side that will lead to an inevitable loss...

Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2018 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Yea that's definitely cherry picking. Pro tip, go for the coaches with few games and low winrate...
lawofthewest

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2018 - 20:43 Reply with quote Back to top

how do you call it when someone deliberetaly picks the toughest opponents?

jdm

Post   Posted: Apr 05, 2018 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Lemonpicker!