60 coaches online • Server time: 21:28
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ph0enyx13

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

It is the only skill that denotes a physical attribute and not something you could learn that isn't mutation. The only ones close are strong arm, which you can train your arm to be stronger, NOS and Sneaky Git are things you can train to do. You can't really train your skull any thicker. Not many people take it either. The only argument I can think for it being a strength skill is so big guys can take it if they keep rolling singles.
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 10:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Memory is a bit hazy here. Will check when I'm at home but pretty sure thick skull used to be a mutation pre lrb5 or pre lrb4. As you elude to - during lrb5 development a conscious effort was made to have more S skills, so that big guys didn't run out of skill choices after 4 picks. I also remember galak saying it was an anti cpomb skill, so people could mitigated that skill combo somewhat via skill selection.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Also, if you think of it less as a physical attribute, and more of fighting prowess to just keep going (endurance type) even after getting hit hard, that still perfectly suits a trainable S skill, and isn't a mutation at all.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2019 - 13:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I consider Thick Skull like a training in receiving blows and resisting pain when it is an acquired skill or, when default skill for a player, a natural physical toughness/stubborn psychological attitude to stay on the pitch and keep on playing despite the pain.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2019 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Was never picked as a mutation, so got moved from Physical to Strength skills. Fluffwise a lot of Strength skill only Big Guys have TS, so sits well.

As for what its meant as, who knows, but I believe its originally meant as a factual thicker cranium (or similar, hence it being originally a Physical skill), but as a ST skill it now also has to include the ability to weather heavy hits who'd knock the average player out cold.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Aug 31, 2019 - 03:28 Reply with quote Back to top

all I know is I love giving it to mummies and snow trolls.