35 coaches online • Server time: 13:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How much wood would a wood chuck chuck if a wood chuck could chuck wood
An indeterminable amount
20%
 20%  [ 16 ]
Would he chuck wood even if he could?
79%
 79%  [ 62 ]
Total Votes : 78

Malmir

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 15:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Obviously, any stat would be lovely, but, failing that, either kick or tackle are both good choices. Kick is great, he'll be on the field at the back anyway to try and get the ball once it has been sacked and it doesn't waste a slot on postionals. Tackle is useful for when he is getting hemmed in and needs to break clear. I'd lean towards tackle for now and get kick at 76. Could always get kick on a rookie for now and sack the rookie if this guy gets it at 76.

Verminardo wrote:
Love this thread, good job Malmir! I didn't have any witty humorous questions so I'll just have to contend with a proper one:

I have a +AG Block Sure Hands Hobgoblin that I use as a ball carrier on my CDs. I feel that there are no really great normal skill options left on him so am considering Kick if he should roll a normal skill, as I don't have a Kicker. Is there any normal skill that you would see as really valuable on him instead?
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

For reasons that can be pretty obvious, a lineman's life in a human team can be pretty short.
If I roll a 6+4 on first skill roll, what should I take? +av, +ma or block?
The main duty will still be LoS duty.

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I rather like tackle too. You can have him as a sweeper on defense picking off gutter runners and the like who break through.

Malmir wrote:
Obviously, any stat would be lovely, but, failing that, either kick or tackle are both good choices. Kick is great, he'll be on the field at the back anyway to try and get the ball once it has been sacked and it doesn't waste a slot on postionals. Tackle is useful for when he is getting hemmed in and needs to break clear. I'd lean towards tackle for now and get kick at 76. Could always get kick on a rookie for now and sack the rookie if this guy gets it at 76.

Verminardo wrote:
Love this thread, good job Malmir! I didn't have any witty humorous questions so I'll just have to contend with a proper one:

I have a +AG Block Sure Hands Hobgoblin that I use as a ball carrier on my CDs. I feel that there are no really great normal skill options left on him so am considering Kick if he should roll a normal skill, as I don't have a Kicker. Is there any normal skill that you would see as really valuable on him instead?
Malmir

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 17:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Firstly, I'd like to say this is a horrendous idea, so hats off to you for going with it. By choosing Bob (who is awesome) we basically remove the tomb guardians as he almosts cost the same as all four of them...

I tried having tomb guardians but it just isn't possible so after some thought (I like a challenge) I settled on:

Bob Bifford (and he better earn his keep)
1 Thrower (leader)
2 Blitzras (tackle and mighty blow)
10 skeletons (2 dp, 2 block and kick)
1 rr

One rr is not great, though two with leader, but nothing about this line up is great. We're basically going to try and dp our way to glory. The blitzra or Bob knock something down and we keep kicking it until there is no life in it. Rinse and repeat. You could well have some fun with this idea - all the best with it.

Bloodfeast wrote:
Ok, I take a different route here since there are way to much I need help with regarding gameplay and such so....

I wanna build a khemriteam around Bob Bifford for a table top tournament, and it will be the same rules as world cup. 1100 TW and 170 K extra for skills etc etc.

How would you do it? (I know you would not but since I browsing for a Bob mini, I will use him but I dont know what are the least bad setup)
Malmir

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 17:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I've never taken armour on any player ever (there's always something more appealing) so that's ruled out. Block seems the obvious if he is still going to be sacrificed anyway. You could give him movement and see if he makes it to 16 and rolls something good to earn a promotion further back on the field, but this is a long shot. Block is the safe choice and will serve you better in the short term. Movement is the dreamers choice, but every 7448 had to start somewhere.

JanMattys wrote:
For reasons that can be pretty obvious, a lineman's life in a human team can be pretty short.
If I roll a 6+4 on first skill roll, what should I take? +av, +ma or block?
The main duty will still be LoS duty.
Bloodfeast

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 17:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I agree it is a really bad idea, but...... I wanna use my toys and not have him standing on a shelf!

I like your idea and it is really hard to choose what you can live without. My inital idea was to maybe use Bob as ballcarrier, since he is no worse than anyone else in the team (except thro-ra) but MA5 is to slow and he will be to easy to stall for 8 turns (if he picks up the ball). My second idea was something like this:

bob 380
1 reroll 70
3 guard 300 (2 guard 1 mighty blow)
7 skeleton 280 (2 block 1 tackle)
thro ra 70 (block-kick of return)

Thanks for the input mate and you do a great "job"!

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 17:46 Reply with quote Back to top

That could work too, though I'd definitely take leader over kick off return to get that second rr, especially given the lack of block.

Bloodfeast wrote:
Yeah, I agree it is a really bad idea, but...... I wanna use my toys and not have him standing on a shelf!

I like your idea and it is really hard to choose what you can live without. My inital idea was to maybe use Bob as ballcarrier, since he is no worse than anyone else in the team (except thro-ra) but MA5 is to slow and he will be to easy to stall for 8 turns (if he picks up the ball). My second idea was something like this:

bob 380
1 reroll 70
3 guard 300 (2 guard 1 mighty blow)
7 skeleton 280 (2 block 1 tackle)
thro ra 70 (block-kick of return)

Thanks for the input mate and you do a great "job"!
krazeeEyezKilla

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir,

I, as many have already said, greatly appreciate your advice! If you (or anyone who wants to take a look) get a chance, I'd appreciate some Elven Union advice: https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4133078
If time is limited, just focus on the first 3 turns. Thanks!

krazeeEyezKilla
Endzone

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Strip ball
Malmir

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you very much to all the people who have asked for advice (without you there is no thread) and to those whose questions might be more tongue in cheek (equally fun to answer). I always intended to operate on a first-come-first-served basis for more in depth advice, so to help keep track of this I am going to post a list on the first post of the whole thread.
Malmir

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Endzone covered this one very nicely and he's a top coach so I'm going to mark this one as 'done'.

Bartimaeus wrote:
How does a proper offense look like on a Lizard team?
VS bash and non bash

On my last game vs HE when I caged with 4 Saurus I was too afraid to base my other Saurii with his players or I give him a 2d block, and when I didn't I felt like I'm just blitzing once per turn and barely gain any ground nor grind his team. I feel like I'm not using my team's strengths.
Also about the running game. A new lizard team has only 4 Skinks, if I send them into positions where they can score they'll just get blitzed and die, when do I send them out into scoring range?
juck101

Post   Posted: Mar 27, 2020 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Dear Uncle,
I landed this game and don't think I knew how to approach this match. Uphill vs what I assumed is a better team and better player, I don't think I had a clear idea to begin. How you uproach this game as a vetern Nurgle?
https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4070524

Any specifics in the game that could of pushed for a win?
Thanks
Bartimaeus

Post   Posted: Mar 28, 2020 - 16:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I actually went ahead and made a team on FUMBBL!
Thanks for the help and the motivation.

Here's my first game, I almost squeezed out a win here, and I'd love some feedback.
https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4137587

I felt like I really fell apart on the offense after forcing my cage inside his half and I did a rather good play with tiny chances of working to get the TD eventually. Was going deep with my cage there a mistake?

I also got immediately owned by him swapping sides on the offense, how should I have responded to him going to the bottom half?

Third game:
https://fumbbl.com/p/match?id=4138586
Pretty good game overall, I had no idea what to do at the second half, I think I screened deep which allowed him to hem me to the bottom of the pitch. I am really curious about what I should've done at turn 6/7 of the second half.

EDIT: Mixed up the game replay links. Should be good now.
Bendrig

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2020 - 09:59 Reply with quote Back to top

That lazy 13 hour week has come and gone, but I might as well pose a question, right?

What are your thoughts on the Wrestle/Jump Up linemen I've been using on my Dark Elf team? ( Aspiring High )

The theory being that it would give me some interesting options in cage breaking, force different positioning decisions on opponents as well as generate some extra hits.

This has worked out rather well in the past, but not so much in the last couple of games. I'm not sure if I've just hit a rut, have been facing the wrong opponents (str4 ones) without any guard on the team (close to 30 skill rolls and no doubles, darnit!) or if the team has grown to a TV where it doesn't work.

I'm not going to throw in the towel on the idea just yet (more data more better) but would value the opinion of somebody who has faced them recently and in the past. Or any others, for that matter.
Malmir

Post   Posted: Apr 02, 2020 - 10:59 Reply with quote Back to top

The reports are not dead - I actually just came to this thread to write the next one then saw your post.

Having just played your team, the jump up did give me something else to think about. However, I would say get basics like dodge first and then have it later on once you've got essential skills and a nice team base. Guard would obviously be ideal, but failing to roll doubles, more dodge, side step etc. If you want a skill to give opponents something else to consider I would take side step over jump up all day long, as ss gives you greater choice over positioning and works even when they are still on their feet, allowing you to press home that advantage the following turn.

Bendrig wrote:
That lazy 13 hour week has come and gone, but I might as well pose a question, right?

What are your thoughts on the Wrestle/Jump Up linemen I've been using on my Dark Elf team? ( Aspiring High )

The theory being that it would give me some interesting options in cage breaking, force different positioning decisions on opponents as well as generate some extra hits.

This has worked out rather well in the past, but not so much in the last couple of games. I'm not sure if I've just hit a rut, have been facing the wrong opponents (str4 ones) without any guard on the team (close to 30 skill rolls and no doubles, darnit!) or if the team has grown to a TV where it doesn't work.

I'm not going to throw in the towel on the idea just yet (more data more better) but would value the opinion of somebody who has faced them recently and in the past. Or any others, for that matter.
 Jump to: