29 coaches online • Server time: 09:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post What happened?goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ThomasW

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2020 - 11:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool cannot wait
Mattius

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2020 - 12:18 Reply with quote Back to top

I know this is a really common rule set used in NAF. But isn't it super tailored to just picking tier1 teams (assuming you want to win games)?

Maybe that is the intention, but I've always been curious on this? Maybe high elves, Slaan etc are better than i think here.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 28, 2020 - 12:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I’m not sure there is a common NAF ruleset, outside of ‘practice’ for bigger events and the copy / pasting of those rulespacks that we see. It’s generally an utter smorgasbord. There is a huge range; from ‘out of the box’ vanilla where there are better and more challenging teams to rulespacks where there are almost 26 winners. Different people prefer different areas of that spectrum.

Sure, this rulespack is much closer to the former than the latter. There are some real life, practical reasons for that (as well as the probably reasonable feeling that bigger tournaments should be at the more vanilla end), but I don’t think Race A being better on paper than Race B is a bad thing; perhaps so long as it isn’t the case all of the time. We probably veer toward the conservative side online for the sake of practicalities, but both the last tournament (Euc Bowl) and what we have next are certainly less vanilla. Hopefully we can all enjoy a bit of everything. Smile
smallman

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2020 - 08:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Dwarves look too good to me in this format Sad I'll sit this one out
mawph

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2020 - 14:33 Reply with quote Back to top

smallman wrote:
Dwarves look too good to me in this format Sad I'll sit this one out

As proven by their constant winning of the "in real life" version year after year Wink

Jesting aside, I don't have the actual stats, but suspect Dark Elves are the race (Wood Elves and Undead being other guesses) that most frequently win.
grant85

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2020 - 15:26 Reply with quote Back to top

form what I could find on the NAF C webpage:

2019-lizards
2018-dark elves
2017-dark elves
2016-dark elves
2015-undead

Last edited by grant85 on %b %01, %2020 - %17:%May; edited 1 time in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 29, 2020 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Dwarfs are good but not great. They’re a really tricky team to do consistently well with, due to their lack of recovery. They’re not in the first five or six teams I’d be concerned about.

2019 was Lizards over DE in the first OT NAFC final. DE are popular, but day one isn’t easy with only three skills.
Oni

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2020 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

What will be the scoring system - tie breakers used?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2020 - 07:49 Reply with quote Back to top

As per the group page:

Scoring: 2 / 1 / 0 for w / d / l.
Tie-breakers: Opponent's Score for 1st position, net TD + net CAS for all other positions.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2020 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Thinking about Ogres for a laugh... can I use Brick Far'th and Grotty? Link to the Ogre page suggests not?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2020 - 13:32 Reply with quote Back to top

They’re legacy, so no. Probably saved you from yourself. Wink
Mattius

Post   Posted: Apr 30, 2020 - 15:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
I’m not sure there is a common NAF ruleset, outside of ‘practice’ for bigger events and the copy / pasting of those rulespacks that we see. It’s generally an utter smorgasbord. There is a huge range; from ‘out of the box’ vanilla where there are better and more challenging teams to rulespacks where there are almost 26 winners. Different people prefer different areas of that spectrum.

Sure, this rulespack is much closer to the former than the latter. There are some real life, practical reasons for that (as well as the probably reasonable feeling that bigger tournaments should be at the more vanilla end), but I don’t think Race A being better on paper than Race B is a bad thing; perhaps so long as it isn’t the case all of the time. We probably veer toward the conservative side online for the sake of practicalities, but both the last tournament (Euc Bowl) and what we have next are certainly less vanilla. Hopefully we can all enjoy a bit of everything. Smile

I think certainly keeping it simple is helpful for the masses. I'm a big fan of both euro bowl and WC choices. But I might be a bit biased as I like playing tier 2 Smile

Thanks for the explanation.
MadMarino

Post   Posted: May 01, 2020 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there,

how does it work for skill choice? I tried to do the same than the last tournament, and it doesn't work… Many thanks in advance for your help!
sebco

Post   Posted: May 01, 2020 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

On your team page, "team options" then "skills settings".

It doesn't work for you?

Post   Posted: May 01, 2020 - 16:40 Reply with quote Back to top

This is the message i have when choosing my skills… If i Don't put a skill on every slot (double round zero), i have a message: "you must select all skills".

Last edited by MadMarino on %b %01, %2020 - %17:%May; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: