56 coaches online • Server time: 19:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post BB2020 - Kick team m...goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you go for the score, or just preserve your team for the second half?
No (I'm a yellow bellied coward who can't stomach the though of harming my chance at a 1-1 draw)
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Yes (I can't comprehend possible adverse consequences to my choices and I always put the pedal to the metal)
95%
 95%  [ 59 ]
Total Votes : 62

Muff2n

Post   Posted: May 13, 2020 - 12:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Picture the scene. It is the start of h1t6 and you are 0-1 down but receiving. You have 11 players on a team that has average speed and average agility. Your opponent's team is similar in strength to you team, but they have a bench.

In order to get a chance at a TD you need to take extra hits as you try to force a gap. Even if you get a breakthrough, the number of dice rolls you must make mean the TD is fairly unlikely, though there's a reasonable chance.

You will receive in the second half.

Last edited by Muff2n on %b %13, %2020 - %13:%May; edited 1 time in total
steinerp

Post   Posted: May 13, 2020 - 13:18 Reply with quote Back to top

You are losing and have a chance to tie, you have to take it. Once you fail something you can back off but even AV7 vs. Mighty blow is only about a 8% chance of doing a long-term injury. So even if you open your team to 11 extra hits, more often than not you will walk away ok
Muff2n

Post   Posted: May 13, 2020 - 13:26 Reply with quote Back to top

It's the first half! It's pretty reasonable to assume that with 11 players you have a good chance of scoring in the second half.

I'm a conservative player who would only be comfortable going for the score if I had a bench to absorb some losses. I am not a pixel lover, don't care about perms, I just care about KO/BH meaning I field < 11 players on my drive.

What caused my Q is a recent game where I am playing a friend, so I told myself to go for the score (because that's the 'fun' option right?!), didn't get it and lost 2 players. Now I'm sad about the second half where I only have 9 players and doubt I can tie the game (boo!)

Looking at the early poll results, it seems I'm alone in my fear of failure.
CrookfangRob

Post   Posted: May 13, 2020 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

It's nearly always better to try and score. Even if the oppo has the ball.
Timetis

Post   Posted: May 13, 2020 - 14:12 Reply with quote Back to top

When you end your opponents drive 1-1, you've won that drive imo.

If you do end up 9 v 11 on the next one, you should have a decent shot at either scoring quick, ensuring neither of you score, or if you're lucky and play it well, stall out for a 2-1 win.

I'd always try to get the chance for a won game over any player damage.
Calthor

Post   Posted: May 13, 2020 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Take the risk.
ArthurWynne

Post   Posted: May 14, 2020 - 22:13 Reply with quote Back to top

If it's 0-1 and you have two turns to score, you take whatever chances you need to take. It's such a huge swing on the entire game if you can get the 1-1 equalizer. It's the difference between playing to win in your own receiving drive, and having to play to not lose.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 14, 2020 - 22:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Muff2n wrote:
Picture the scene. It is the start of h1t6 and you are 0-1 down but receiving. You have 11 players on a team that has average speed and average agility. Your opponent's team is similar in strength to you team, but they have a bench.

In order to get a chance at a TD you need to take extra hits as you try to force a gap. Even if you get a breakthrough, the number of dice rolls you must make mean the TD is fairly unlikely, though there's a reasonable chance.

You will receive in the second half.

This scenario doesn't even begin to capture the dichotomy that could exist between the two in BB.
neilwat

Post   Posted: May 14, 2020 - 22:47
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

This is a 100% go for it type of situation. If they have no ability to score you might as well put everything into scoring yourself. With them moving in to base contact with some of your guys, even if you don't score then you might get the chance to hit more of their guys in return.
Kondor

Post   Posted: May 14, 2020 - 22:55 Reply with quote Back to top

A famous American football coach once said something like "A tie is like kissing your sister. Sure, you can do it and at times it is appropriate but neither of you should ever get anything out of it."

I wish all games went into overtime unless otherwise agreed upon before the match began. Maybe the mindset is different among people who prefer soccer to American Football.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: May 14, 2020 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Draws are fine for matches, if you can't beat them in normal time why get longer to try. What is not fine is drawn tournaments like the Ryder Cup or the Ashes
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 15, 2020 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Muff2n, let me flesh out another scenario that captures this:

Opponent is threatening to score turn 7 but only has one guy in position who can score. Unfortuantely to push him out of range and shore up any counter chain move to put him back in position, you need to take a 3+ Leap or 5+ Dodge w/dodge -2d6 (Pushes are positive net outcome here) to break the play for the next turn. You've already burned your Apo earlier in the half and the player who can make this play is AV7. No rerolls available.

You can't build an ironclad screen.

Boiled down - big risk to prevent score and risk injury to player before half ends vs. allowing opponent to roll two GFIs to score.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 15, 2020 - 00:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
A famous American football coach once said something like "A tie is like kissing your sister. Sure, you can do it and at times it is appropriate but neither of you should ever get anything out of it."

I wish all games went into overtime unless otherwise agreed upon before the match began. Maybe the mindset is different among people who prefer soccer to American Football.

I don't wish for this because of how people would play the game with that in mind. And you shouldn't wish for it because of how I would handle it.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 15, 2020 - 02:14 Reply with quote Back to top

We can go even more micro tactics.

Do you use a 1d6 to open a 2d6? Do you use a -2d6 to open a 2d6? Do you use a -2d6 to open a 1d6? If there's a play on the ball? What factors go into consideration? How often - consciously - and borne out with the statistics on your play?
Rbthma

Post   Posted: May 15, 2020 - 03:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Congressive?

But really, your 2 poll options are a bit limited in scope and both negative so wouldn't vote for either Smile
 Jump to: