41 coaches online • Server time: 11:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Java

Post   Posted: May 17, 2020 - 09:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I had a browse through some Mordheim stuff and thought, what if BB players started using ranged weapons too?
That would definitely be a secret weapon, but how else could it work within the BB rules?

I don't know if anybody has ever thought of it in the past and I have no idea how they would be priced, but here's my take on them.

Ranged Weapons
All players with ranged weapons have the Secret Weapon skill.

A player cannot move before using a ranged weapon, unless the rules of the weapon say so.

Using a ranged weapon uses the same rules for passing. This means that you can do a Quick Shot, Long Shot, etc. and that impacts the dice roll's chances of success. A ranged weapon's projectile cannot be intentionally intercepted.

Ranged weapons are based on agility, with the normal passing modifiers, and the following special modifiers:
+1 for using a ranged weapon
-1 for each potential interceptor on the shot's path

A "potential interceptor" is any player that would be able to intercept if this was a pass action directed at the target of the shot. They're in the way of the shot and so make it more difficult, with the added risk of being hit by mistake.

If the shot is a Fumble, select one of the above potential interceptors at random, using a D16. If the dice roll goes above the number of potential interceptors, the shot is simply lost, hitting the pitch, the stands or an unlucky fan. A "fumbled" shot is not a turnover unless the shot has hit and broken the armour of a player on the same team as the shooter.

If the ranged weapon is a Gunpowder Weapon and the fumble roll is a natural 1, the weapon misfires and it is resolved against the player using the weapon. This is a turnover.

If the shot hits any player, make an armour roll and then an injury roll if needed. If the armour roll is succesful, place the player prone.

Types of Ranged Weapons

Sling A player with a sling can move before using the weapon. The range of the weapon is reduced to Quick or Short only.

Bow A player with a bow can do indirect shots, ignoring all penalties for potential interceptors (they can still be hit by a "fumbled" shot.

Crossbow Mighty Blow.

Handgun Claw, Mighty Blow, Gunpowder Weapon.

Pistol Claw, Mighty Blow, Gunpowder Weapon. A player with a pistol can move before using the weapon. The range of the weapon is reduced to Quick or Short only.

Blunderbuss It has the same effect as a bomb, and it is resolved using the Bombardier rule rather than the Ranged Weapons rule, but the "center" of the bomb can only be placed at exactly 2 squares of distance from the shooter, effectively having the area of effect always in contact (but not covering) the shooter. A blunderbuss hit is always accurate unless it's fumbled. A fumble is worked out exactly as a fumbled bomb.

EDIT: clarifying this a bit

Blowpipe A player with a blowpipe can move before using the weapon. A player injured by a blowpipe's dart suffers the same effects as if hurt by a Gutter Runner's Poisoned Dagger.

Throwing Axes Mighty Blow. A player can move before throwing. The range of the weapon is reduced to Quick only.

Elves cannot use gunpowder weapons.

Last edited by Java on Mar 26, 2021 - 11:10; edited 4 times in total
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: May 17, 2020 - 09:41 Reply with quote Back to top

A blood bowl version of the start of The Last Boy Scout
https://youtu.be/VVrsGHs2MCk
Balle2000

Post   Posted: May 17, 2020 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

You can shoot a spiked ball in someone's head with Zzharg
Kondor

Post   Posted: May 17, 2020 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

How about you must have direct line of sight to the target. You cannot shoot through any intervening players. In general the player cannot be adjacent to the target. Use agility to determine accuracy.

1 square away normal agility roll to hit. -1 for each square away after that.

I like a blunderbus with grapeshot. Adjacent player takes an autohit with MB and maybe claw. one square away, autohit with MB. 2 squares away, autohit without modifiers. Something along those lines.

All blackpowder weapons can missfire and explode spectacularly like a wizards fireball.
Java

Post   Posted: May 17, 2020 - 20:28 Reply with quote Back to top

As long as you're shooting past/through a couple of players or more, most shots will be on a 6 anyway. My rules provide for the fact that shooting without a clear line of sight is a feat that won't generally work. You can't simply pick off a ball carrier inside a cage.

The bow might be too powerful from that point of view, I should be adding penalties for the indirect shot. Thanks for that.

I believe the misfire for gunpowder weapons shouldn't be as big as the one for a bomb. After all there is much less gunpowder involved.

The blunderbuss! I missed that one. I'll add the blunderbuss, the blowpipe, and some general ideas for thrown weapons in a couple of days (thanks to MattDakka for reminding me of those)

Post   Posted: May 17, 2020 - 20:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Can ogres get proper Leadbelchers? Maybe ClawPOMB, but misfires like a bomb?
dolphinandrew

Post   Posted: May 17, 2020 - 21:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't throw team mate supposed to be a ranged weapon?
Java

Post   Posted: May 17, 2020 - 21:59 Reply with quote Back to top

A leadbelcher cannon seems like a very special secret weapon Very Happy but I like your attitude Wolvassa! It should probably just be an ogre bomber to be fair. The effect of a leadbelcher used to be a lot of hits, much closer to an area of effect rather than a single shot weapon.

Maybe the easiest way to bring the old ogre kingdoms into BB is giving an ogre a pistol. Even though the old Maneasters had pairs of rifles (with the appropriate range) that they could use like pistols!!

Post   Posted: May 23, 2020 - 18:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Blowpipe, Blunderbuss and Throwing Axes added.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2021 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I play with the house rule that Proj. Vomit has a range of two tiles... it actually gets used that way lol.
Kenku

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2021 - 14:45 Reply with quote Back to top

"If the shot is a Fumble, select one of the above potential interceptors at random, using a D16. If the dice roll goes above the number of potential interceptors, the shot is simply lost, hitting the pitch, the stands or an unlucky fan."

Love this, just for the fact of it being a simple, easy to remember rule, with a single dice roll that feels like the situation being described. Elegant. (sorry for the late reply)
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Mar 24, 2021 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Blunderbuss is useless if it's move or fire and has a 2-square range.

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2021 - 05:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Cool - can we revive this idea?

https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=10255&highlight=space+marine+team

Oscar Wilde
Java

Post   Posted: Mar 25, 2021 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

@Kenku: Thanks. I appreciate that.

@Jackassrampant: it hits 9 squares.

@Grod: I've always thought that translating space marines to a WHFB setting is near impossible as they're way too powerful fluff wise