32 coaches online • Server time: 17:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GAZZATROT

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2020 - 14:08 Reply with quote Back to top

(Apologies if this has been discussed before)

I've always looked at overtime as being an unsatisfactory way to finish a game.

Whilst I don't have stats to back this up either way, it feels to me that the team that wins the toss (and likely elects to receive) wins disproportionately more than the toss loser.

This seems a shame to me.

I've been considering a few ways that this could be evened up a bit.

1. Whoever lost the toss at the beginning of the game, automatically 'wins the toss' for OT (This doesn't impact OT directly, but does seem a nice idea).

2. The loser of the OT toss (or the kicking team) receives a bonus re-roll. This helps the loser/kicking team either in OT or the sudden death coin toss, thus making an OT draw a better result for the reroll beneficiary (allowing for naturally saved rerolls)

3. Whichever team wins the toss has to win in OT. Put another way, a team that loses the toss before OT, plays through the 8 turns without a TD for either side is deemed to have won. This is a more severe and predictable version of point 2.

Are these good/bad ideas?

Does anyone have any better ideas to share?

Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2020 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

4. Who ever loses the toss may reroll the Kick Off Result

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2020 - 15:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Not a fan of house rules, but I saw some league somewhere that had the loser of the OT kickoff roll winning in the event of no TD in OT. Like that quite a lot. I appreciate it’s no substitute for winning the toss, but fighting for 24 turns only to lose on a roll off is the toughest of all Blood Bowl pills to swallow. It should at least be considered a draw, even if one side needs to advance in a KO format.
Stimme

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2020 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

5. The winner of the OT coin toss can choose to kick or receive. The kick-off event will automatically be a Blitz!.

Played it like that at a Canadian tournament. I liked the rule.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2020 - 17:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the OT rules are crappy on purpose...as an incentive to do whatever it takes to win in regulation time.

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2020 - 19:01 Reply with quote Back to top

We've used these for a number of years and they're rather awesome:

1. Coin flip and choose
2. Offense sets up first(!) then defense.
3. No roll on the kick-off table.
4. If offense does not score in 5 turns, defense wins.
Lill-Leif

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2020 - 19:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Stimme wrote:
5. The winner of the OT coin toss can choose to kick or receive. The kick-off event will automatically be a Blitz!.

Played it like that at a Canadian tournament. I liked the rule.

We play with a similar rule, but with Perfect Defense instead of Blitz.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2020 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Obviously - we’re in the realms of house rules here, so to each their own and I don’t need to like or play with any of it. You do you, and you have fun doing you with two thumbs up.

Asterisks now comfortably out of the way, the more impactful stuff is really changing the dynamics of the game in a way I don’t like. The offence setup / 5 turn thing sounds particularly poor (to me) as a solution. Yeesh - good luck scoring with anything slow there. Sledgehammer, meet nut.

The more subtle stuff: enforcing eight turns, no TD and kicker wins, maybe auto-PD (although I am cringing), these are little house rules that spin it just a touch. Going in two-footed is never the best way.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2020 - 20:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
The offence setup / 5 turn thing sounds particularly poor (to me) as a solution. Yeesh - good luck scoring with anything slow there. Sledgehammer, meet nut.

I guess that the slow teams are supposed to have bashed their way to a numerical advantage by then. Mr. Green

Rather than auto win, I think I'd prefer auto turnover with a big scatter. Maybe, the scatter can only go back the other way. Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2020 - 20:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Make the kick off event always perfect defence. To counter the advantage of receiving
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2020 - 21:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I think overtime is fine the way it is. An agility team that survived 16 turns against a bashy one this way has a 50% chance to receive the ball, score and win.

The bashy team got the same chance. Don't think it is unfair. Whoever is lucky wins.
badger89

Post   Posted: Jul 14, 2020 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea the if you can stop the TD on defending you win.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2020 - 01:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you just win more when your opponent receives the kick off in overtime.

Like, it's not that big of an advantage, stop believing you'll lose and go win instead.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2020 - 01:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Proper penalty shoot-out - you get to replace each of your remaining players with a goblin secret weapon. Everyone gets their rerolls back, but they can only use them on their opponent's turn, not theirs. Last goblin standing wins.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2020 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

@Purplegoo: Like I said, we've used it for a number of years.
One obvious (and welcome) effect is that the coin flip winner doesn't always choose to play offense. I've seen slow teams choose to defend for 5 turns. Offense setting up first obviously helps with that - as well as preventing OTS malarkey.
 Jump to: