56 coaches online • Server time: 12:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
monk12

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 02:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey folks, I recently set up a small league for a group of friends and myself, and I was hoping for some insight into how to handle some things.

1) We started the league with only 4 players, but unexpectedly picked up 2 more players after the first game was played. In order to get them playing too, what I'd like to do is set up a new tournament, manually change the first week's calendar to match the original tournament's first week (with the newcomers playing one another,) and manually copy the results of the match(es) already played.

From looking around, that doesn't seem possible- from what I can tell the best I can do is force one team to forfeit the game, then override the score. Is there a better way to do what I want to, and does a forfeit have any other side effects I should be aware of? I'd rather not have to replay the game, since that would give us both an SPP advantage over the other teams, and since my Halflings managed to tie the Orcs I don't want to lose that precious point!

2) It's a very casual league with a spread of players from across timezones, so it wouldn't be too surprising if a situation arises where two people can't get a game scheduled in a reasonable time for some reason. Ideally I'd be able to set the game as a tie (with MVP and maybe a TD randomly assigned to each team) but again, all I foresee is the ability to force one team to forfeit and manually set the score to what it should be. So, very similar question to the first, but with a situation where "restart the tournament" isn't an option.

3) As mentioned, I'm new to league play, and everyone else is a FUMBBL rookie. Getting games started has been trial and error so far, so I'd like to confirm that what I'm telling them to do actually works.

Quote:

Click the play button to the right of the team, which should cause the client to download. You'll be presented with your team and coach name, and a space to write in a game name or list open games. One of you write a game name (e.g Bay12) and click Start New Game- the other party should be able to see the game by clicking "List Open Games."

This is an accurate step-by-step guide to getting a scheduled game started, yes? Also, is there another "absolute newb" thread kicking around I can refer to? The search function wasn't much help, and I didn't find the answer to this question in the help section (though if it's there, I'd love a link!)

Thank you for your time and help!

Last edited by monk12 on May 15, 2013 - 03:46; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 07:11 Reply with quote Back to top

If it is casual how about making it an Open Round Robin league?

Then the league can be unscheduled or you can schedule it yourself and post the schedule on the league home page.

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 07:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Lots of Leagues use the Open RR format, but have a "Stick to THIS Schedule OR ELSE" post. Works just fine.

(...and what exactly do you think they do with all those dead players?...)
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 08:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, you might need to be more specific about your questions, however I'll answer what I can, and what I think you mean.

Firstly yes, there is a noob page. Somwhere in your menu there is a 'help' button.

http://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index

In here, you'll see a section on Leagues and starting Leagues.

The one thing you can't do, once a League is started is change the size of it. So yes you'll have to start all over.

Also as you're playing a 'fixed' format league, rather than the 'open' format that Koadah suggested, this doesn't give you mus scope for adding new players again. However it does give you scope of fixing the schedules (so you repeat the schedule of games played already and to forfeit the matches and fix the scores.

Forfeiting matches, isn't a concession (i.e. a player receives a loss on his record) it purely moves the match a long. So this function will help you. Forfeiting doesn't always give you the scores you wish (it's nigh on impossible to set it up correctly) so you'll have to adjust the scores afterwards. The one thing you will lose however is TDs and CAS stats, if they play a vital roll in your League.

Worst comes to the worst, because it's the League division, you may 'fix' an actual played match. I.e. recreating the lost game. (I wouldn't advise this, but the site staff allow you to do this, in this division only).

If you think more people will join, you can add these to your League http://fumbbl.com/~TourneyFiller TourneyFillers basically take the place, or hold the place for another player.

They will work well with an open format, but not so well with a fixed format.

So the question you have to ask yourself before continuing is how likely, you'll get more players and how soon? Once you've answered this, you'll know how best to continue.

I think if I was you, I would do this, and in these stages:

*Scrap your current tournament.
*Start a fixed tournament for (6 if you think it's unlikely you'll get more or 8 if you think it's likely you'll get more than 6).
*Set up the new fixed tourney (with 2 tourney fillers if you set up an 8 man).
*Then use more tourney fillers to swap coaches in and out, until you have the first week schedule that you had in the scrapped tournament.
*Forfeit the game already played, and then manually change the scores so that they are the same with the scrapped tourney.

If you have any problems with any of these stages let me know.
monk12

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 20:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you all for your advice!

@harvestmouse thank you for the link to the fillers! I don't anticipate any further competitors for this season, if only because we'll have the full first week done soon, so they'll have to sit out until next season. Thank you also for the information on forfeiting, you picked up on my worry it might be counted as a concession. TDs and CAS I can make a note of myself to make sure tiebreakers work out well. I assume "fixing" a match involves harassing an admin? Reason enough to avoid that solution!

It sounds like doing things in an Open RR and only using the fixed RR for scheduling purposes is definitely the way to go, thank you. Incidentally, if the league is Open RR will my players be able to find one another in the Gamefinder? If so, I would recommend that method to my players as an easier way to get their games played.
xnoelx

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 20:47 Reply with quote Back to top

monk12 wrote:

Click the play button to the right of the team, which should cause the client to download. You'll be presented with your team and coach name, and a space to write in a game name or list open games. One of you write a game name (e.g Bay12) and click Start New Game- the other party should be able to see the game by clicking "List Open Games."

Don't click 'list open games'. Both players should enter the same game name and click 'start new game'
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 14, 2013 - 20:50 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are certain of the number, you a fixed league rather than an open one. Once the schedule is worked out, use the fillers to swap in and out coaches until you have the matches already played. Then forfeit them so you are where you should be.

With Leagues, you don't use gamefinder. You use a game name. Both coaches agree on a game name that is kind of like the 'start code'. Use some thing that nobody else will use. If you use something like 'Orc' or 'Die', there's a good chance you'll get some nitwit's game who used the exact same dumb game name.

You won't be able to run 2 Leagues with the same teams at the same time, as teams are scheduled against another team (in open they're just scheduled to that league). So you'll have to choose on or the other.
monk12

Post   Posted: May 16, 2013 - 03:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks once again- everything is clicking along smoothly, and we're into our second week without incident. But as long as I have your attention... Very Happy

http://fumbbl.com/help:Tournament+Structure

This page says that tiebreakers are "Touchdown difference+Casualty difference/2 (descending), followed by Raw Touchdowns+Casualties/2." That information is under the Swiss Tournament section, however- am I correct in assuming this same tiebreaking procedure also applies to Round Robin tournaments? I rather suspect that it does (and this fits the results I've observed,) but I wanted to check before I inadvertently spread misinformation.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 16, 2013 - 09:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I haven't run a tournament in a while, but I've always found this part a bit sketchy. You can set this up in the 'configure' section. However I'm not sure I know anyone who's got it working how they want.

You are the boss. So if I were you; I'd just run it how you want and manually alter the positions if you aren't happy with it. Just be warned that once all games are played, you can no longer play around with it.
Steffs23

Post   Posted: Jul 02, 2020 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

If a player Forfeits a game how do i give them 2 MVPs for a the league?
 Jump to: