30 coaches online • Server time: 12:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Elf Draft Coachgoto Post Cindy fumbling after...goto Post [L] OBBA Smack Talk ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lyracian

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Looks like Vampire and High Elves are crash and burn this time around. 50% chance of a Vampire eating a team mate (even another Vampire) when they try to Hypno gaze, pass or just move up the field is way bad!

Looks like we will need a third issue of the PDF since Blitz-Ra has A access for Primary and Secondary. At least starting with Block not a problem if they lose General! Throw-Ra can at least throw; not that anyone can actually catch the ball.

Chorfs now get Hakflem as a Star. Need a move 9 player for that OTT attempt...

Lyracian.
Java

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Vamps are way better now.

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 19:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Java wrote:

i'm all ears, please enlighten me
pokrjax

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

More likely to bite but, they don't leave the pitch if they don't and the bite comes first so afterwards they can move freely. You're less restricted by where you place your thralls and failed actions don't equal vampires running off the pitch.
sebco

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

He has been short. But, even if it's too soon to have a clear opinion on vampires potential in BB 2020, I've also already seen that :
-starting vampires now hypnotize on a 2+ instead of 3+
-Animal Savagery has some - but also + compared to Blood Lust (for example, it's first an armour roll and not directly an injury roll)
-Pro is way better now (3+ instead of 4+, and ability ro reroll only 1d of a dice pool) and will be taken by vampires, in my opinion, for their failed hypnotic gazes and their falied Animal Savagery rolls .

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

King_Ghidra wrote:
Java wrote:

i'm all ears, please enlighten me

2+ gaze (YUGE!)

pro is better

As long as there's a snack, action takes place as intended

Snack needs to be where you are at the start, rather than at the end, easier positioning

In an emergency, snack can be a vamp

Snacks are just prone 58% of the time, no longer autostun minimum

Lack of snack no longer disappears your vamp

Higher gains limit impact of game-to-game attrition

They're different and of course there are drawbacks to all this (can't multisnack on the same guy anymore, maybe just twice? If he gets up after the first bite...), but bear in mind, 6 vamps 2mil TV teams were not intended to exist within the confines of bb16 seasons, and are not contemplated in the new rules, so any analysis should apply to 1300 TV Vamps Wink
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

imho:

having to bite on 1-3 for any non blocking action is terrible for a primarily non-blocking team
having to bite a standing team-mate in your tz is extremely limiting and will lead to a lot of non-activations

i don't think vamps leaving the field was really an issue. it was easy to play around, and thrall attrition was the result. i'll certainly concede that making armour rolls rather than straight injury roll is good. but if you are biting 3 times more often i think the net result is worse

and using a 3+ pro to re-roll a 4+ is not better than using a 4+ pro to re-roll a 2+
ceetee

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 20:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Surely, to successfully hypno gaze an opponent, we should be comparing:
Current rules: 2+ Blood lust, 3+ Gaze = 56%
BB2020 rules: 4+ Animal savagery, 2+ Gaze = 42%
50% chance of non block/blitz action not even occurring, potentially losing tackle zones? Eek.
Java

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

That 4+ roll you mention does not exist in practice.

Snacking did not and does not prevent gazing. It's actually easier to snack at the start, in terms of places you can go to on the pitch, than at the end.

Fails on gazes just halved FOR FREE and you want to see that as a negative because there's a hypothetical increase in thrall attrition. Fair enough.
Lyracian

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 21:13 Reply with quote Back to top

With a 50% chance to whack an adjacent team member or do nothing every time they do something that is not a block/blitz. Quick maths gives a 19.4% chance of injuring a Thrall, who has to be standing, vs the old 16.6% that could also bite stunned players.

I am sure someone can check if that calculation is correct.

Lyracian.
Java

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2020 - 22:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm going to copy and paste some maths that I typed up on discord.

AS Blitz and block activate on a 2+, moves do on a 4+
armour breaks are on a 8+ so 15/36

ko's are 9/36 and cas are 6/36, but that doesn't change for either AS or BL
(I'm not taking MB into account because it's an open issue and also if it actually works on snacks you won't take it, period)

AS injury rolls per half: (8/6+8/6+8/2)*15/36 = 2.777

or if you don't get any free blocks at all: (8/6+2*8/2)*15/36 = 3.888

BL injury rolls per half: 24/6 = 4

BONUS Maths request 1, damage comparison just for moving

6 moves with BL = 1 injury roll
6 moves with AS = 1.25 injury rolls

BONUS Maths request 2, number of knockdowns per 24 activations

assuming 8 blocks/8blitzes/8moves, you get 6.666 knockdowns, of which 2.777 armour breaks so 3.888 can be activated and stand up/move 3 afterwards

worst case scenario of 8 blitzes and 16 moves, 9.333 knockdowns of which 5.444 are just prones

old BL scenario, 24 activations produce 4 knockdowns which are at least stuns

apparently the big price to pay for 2+ gazes and vampires that don't disappear anymore is... LESS attrition on my thralls?

Oh well, vampires are done for. Dead. Like, really dead. Hyperdead.
Garion

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2020 - 07:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty sure that vamp change is a place holder change until they get their own spike magazine.

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2020 - 08:12 Reply with quote Back to top

That may well be the case, but the previous incarnation of ToL did not shy away from including new skills not in the main rules.

Anyway, here's a thing that some coaches will appreciate and others will shake their heads at Very Happy

https://imgur.com/a/MsYNUBX
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2020 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Java wrote:

I think you expect way too many blocks in your analysis. Even splits of blocks/blitzes/other actions is not realistic.

If I have four vamps only one can blitz each turn, and the chances the others are all standing or based to allow a block a third of the time is not likely, nor what i want them to be doing. A quick glance at some of my vamp teams stats suggests many vamps who made 1/3 blocks or less per total number of turns on the pitch. I found several games where a vamp had 8+ turns and 0 blocks.

So per your analysis:

Quote:

worst case scenario of 8 blitzes and 16 moves, 9.333 knockdowns of which 5.444 are just prones

old BL scenario, 24 activations produce 4 knockdowns which are at least stuns

so in the 1/3 blocks case, AS is much worse for knockdowns. And for injuries:

Quote:

AS injury rolls per half [...] if you don't get any free blocks at all:(8/6+2*8/2)*15/36 = 3.888

BL injury rolls per half: 24/6 = 4

So even if we ignore all the other negatives of AS in limiting movement, causing knockdowns of your own team, failed activations of vamps and lost tackle zones, it's not even significantly better for Thrall health in any vamp team doing vamp things rather than playing like a basher.
Niessuh

Post   Posted: Nov 13, 2020 - 10:43 Reply with quote Back to top

It seemps that Vamps are going to do more blocks now, as their need to avoid rage forces them to increase their bashing

Anyways, thralls (and vampires) could easily get cheap AV stat ups now. I imagine vampires making crowds around them on every turn :p

Last edited by Niessuh on %b %13, %2020 - %10:%Nov; edited 3 times in total
 Jump to: