54 coaches online • Server time: 23:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
argos_72

Post 8 Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 00:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I was reading the new BB2020 and I am surprised by the way the "Passing the Ball" rule changed.

With the new BB2020 rules players have a new caractheristic in the player's profile, beyond MA, ST and AG now there is "PA": Passing the ball.
Well... it is very simple, to pass the ball you do not have to look anymore the player's Agility, on the contrary you have to look the PA caractheristic.
in the PA skill is indicated the minimum D6 roll to be able to do an accurate pass (greater or equal) before any modifier.
For instance if a player's PA = 2+ means he has to roll "2 or higher" to be able to make a Accurate Pass.
You can think that this is simply a way to make more understandable the agility roll. No. It is a totally new rule. One player can have very good agility and not good PA!
For instance DARK ELF TEAM : all the Team has AG = 4 ( indicated now as 2+) but surprise here is the PA Team's profile
Dark elf Lineman: PA = 4+
Runners : PA = 3+
Blitzers: PA =4+ (sic!)
Assassins and Witch Elves : PA = 5+ Shocked

Other bad susprises: for some player trying to pass the ball will be simply impossible even if they roll a natural 6! Because these players have a very nice PA="-" which means "if you try to pass the ball with this player, result is fumble automatic whatever is the dice's result"

I can accept a Zombie or a Skeleton even to make a quick pass they have to roll "6" (and btw I have never ever see in a match a Zombie or Skeleton trying to launch the ball, even in some desperate case why not). But removing totally the possibility to make a pass to several players this is not understandable.

And we do not speak only about traditionally not very agile players like zombie or skeletons but also Necronantic's or Undead's Wight Blitzer now they cannot anymore try to pass the ball in their career, even a short pass is forbidden because their PA in the roster's is equal to "-" Confused
in the BB2020 Rule book, page 29 is clearly written
"if the player has a PA of "-" or if the roll is a natural 1, the Passing Ability test is "Fumbled"..."

If I understand correctly the new rule this means if you roll with a D6 a natural "6" your player with PA = "-" will "fumble" the ball!

And several other players of other races like Goblin, Chaos for a short pass usually they can only hope in a natural "6" to succeed.

The only players entitled to make a short pass with a decent probability of success are the human's and elves throwers

Yes because also the pass modifiers will change
NO any "+1" modifiers exist anymore.
so
Quick pass = +0 modifier
short pass= -1 Modifier
Long pass = -2 modifier
Long Bomb = -3 modifier
and naturally -1 for every enemy tackle zone

Practically during a match very often to see a short pass you need to roll "6" and if by hazard during a bouncing ball a player with PA = "-" get the ball (with a miracolous natural D6=6) he cannot try to launch the ball wherever different than over his head.
neubau

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 00:51 Reply with quote Back to top

we do have a 24 pages and counting forum thread about passing already: https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=31543

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

argos_72 wrote:

And we do not speak only about traditionally not very agile players like zombie or skeletons but also Necronantic's or Undead's Wight Blitzer now they cannot anymore try to pass the ball in their career, even a short pass is forbidden because their PA in the roster's is equal to "-"

The Necromantic Blitzer is not a Wight anymore, he is a Wraith now, and he can't handle nor pass the ball because he's ethereal. On the bright side (step, could not resist the pun), he has Side Step and Foul Appearance.
About the Undead Wight: he has PA 5+ so he can pass the ball.
argos_72

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 01:08 Reply with quote Back to top

neubau wrote:
we do have a 24 pages and counting forum thread about passing already: https://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=31543

yes I realized just now, sorry. I will move the discussion there
argos_72

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 01:11 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="MattDakka"]
argos_72 wrote:

About the Undead Wight: he has PA 5+ so he can pass the ball.

yes ... which is ridicolous for a player with AGility 3 to be forced to roll a 5+ even for a quick pass. So the destiny for Undead Wights is just handoff

It 's rugby! Razz
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Nov 30, 2020 - 01:15 Reply with quote Back to top

They removed AG from the passing mechanic and added PA. In theory it was not a bad idea because the PA characteristic could have helped to differentiate the players, but in the end they messed the whole passing.
Felix17

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2020 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

argos_72 wrote:

It 's rugby! Razz

You can pass a long way in rugby, you just can't pass it forwards. But yes, BB2020 is unlikely to see more passing than at present, and I suspect it will see a lot less. Because passing was so overpowered...
ThierryM

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2020 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Add the double layer : Interference & Interception (Free translation as I have the French book) that can affect the Pass.

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2020 - 13:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Interference should be Deflection.
CAB

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2020 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

In the rule book you use both of these terms.

"Passing interference" is the name of the rule.

"Deflection" and "Interception" is the result of "Passing Interference".
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2020 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

CAB wrote:

Some of these skill names bother me a lot more than they should.

From an American football perspective (which the game is a parody of), the naming of the rule is confusing, along with some other weird stuff like Arm Bar (a wrestling reference that probably would be better as Stiff Arm).

Interference results in a penalty in football and refers to contact with another player and not the ball, so it does not make sense. It should be Pass Block. Seems like change for the sake of change and makes it more confusing.

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2020 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:

From an American football perspective (which the game is a parody of), the naming of the rule is confusing, along with some other weird stuff like Arm Bar (a wrestling reference that probably would be better as Stiff Arm).

stiff arm wouldn't make much sense in context of someone dodging away. A stiff arm is when the ball carrier extends his arm to hit a defender to knock the defender down or keep the defender from tackling him.
Like to me stiff arm would be a skill that says "Only when this player is carrying the ball 1.the strip ball skill cannot be used against this player, 2. They gain the block skill 3.when targeted by a block action, and a stumble is rolled, they may treat the result as a pushback instead, 4. they gain the fend skill"
So half of sure hands, block, half of dodge, and fend, but only when carrying the ball. It would be S access, with some form of ST check
CAB

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2020 - 18:05 Reply with quote Back to top

WhatBall wrote:
CAB wrote:

Some of these skill names bother me a lot more than they should.

Interference results in a penalty in football and refers to contact with another player and not the ball, so it does not make sense. It should be Pass Block. Seems like change for the sake of change and makes it more confusing.

They are not skills they are rules and effect of a rule.

Passing Interference is a rule and I don't see why it does not fit as it describe the action taken by a player as they try to interfere with a pass.

I think this is completely a none issue. They obviously would still like to call the actual interception still an "Interception" (catching the ball) so they needed another name for the action itself as the action now have two different positive outcomes.

You probably could come up with more names on the rule but at some point you need to pick something, right?!?
Lyracian

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2020 - 18:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Eventually yes you have to pick something. Seemed a reasonable name to me but I do not follow Football (American or otherwise).

I do find "Arm Bar" an odd name and had no idea it was a Wrestle term until other people mentioned it. Not that I can think of anything better to describe it.

Lyracian.
Bellenrode

Post   Posted: May 02, 2021 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

argos_72 wrote:
For instance DARK ELF TEAM : all the Team has AG = 4 ( indicated now as 2+) but surprise here is the PA Team's profile
Dark elf Lineman: PA = 4+
Runners : PA = 3+
Blitzers: PA =4+ (sic!)
Assassins and Witch Elves : PA = 5+ Shocked

I am actually not surprised. Dark Elves were depicted as the "running team", but in 2016 they could both pass and dodge as easily as all the other Elves with literally any player.

Not only they had AG4, they also had AV8 on most of their players, making them more resilent (on the level of High Elves). But, to add insult to an injury, they had access to not 2 Blitzers (like High Elves) but 4. All of this made them an incredibly strong team overall.

The new changes are simply reflecting the role of the Dark Elves team: them being not passers, but runners. It's a nerf, but it will make them consistent lore-/fluff-wise and it'll keep their playstyle to be more specific than before (when all Elves were essentially "passing teams", thanks to AG4).

However, giving the Dark Elf Runner Nerves of Steel by default would be a good idea. That way Dump Off remains 3+ and passing in a tackle zone is 3+ as well, encouraging coaches to have the Runner on their roster as a safety.

argos_72 wrote:
Other bad susprises: for some player trying to pass the ball will be simply impossible even if they roll a natural 6! Because these players have a very nice PA="-" which means "if you try to pass the ball with this player, result is fumble automatic whatever is the dice's result"

I can accept a Zombie or a Skeleton even to make a quick pass they have to roll "6" (and btw I have never ever see in a match a Zombie or Skeleton trying to launch the ball, even in some desperate case why not). But removing totally the possibility to make a pass to several players this is not understandable.

You are still able to pick the ball up and hand it off to someone else (or fumblerooski it). You're just unable to pass it with players who aren't supposed to do it at all.

On one hand it sucks to not have even the possibility of some crazy play and I get it, but on another - such actions were mostly taken when all the other options were out. So passing on a 6 with a Zombie was the epitome of Hail Mary pass action. Something you didn't see on a regular basis anyway. As a result you aren't losing all that much.

This is true for a lot of changes in Blood Bowl 2020, compared to 2016, mind you.

argos_72 wrote:
The only players entitled to make a short pass with a decent probability of success are the human's and elves throwers

1) Also Skaven Thrower throws on 2+. There could be more, but I don't have access to that information at the moment.

2) 3+ with a re-roll is still "a decent probability of success". But it will require either a skill or having that team re-roll, so it won't be as easy as before.

3) For the most part it... doesn't matter. The way I understood the position of most coaches the passing was seen as riskier than moving the ball around, so these changes will only serve to reinforce the existing general view.
 Jump to: