82 coaches online • Server time: 21:19
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post test mode doesnt wor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Grasshugger17

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2020 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I have never coached Dorf and no amount of 'goodness' will ever change that!
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2020 - 12:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Lyracian wrote:

This is my thought. I am expecting 80-90% of the meta to be the same six teams.

There's absolutely no way this is going to happen. For a few reasons:
1) People will play teams they think are fun or cool regardless of competitiveness
2) People are not good judges of what is competitive
3) People will always crave a challenge, variety, or be playing some kid of meta group that encourages the same

To expand a little:
1) Look at the data for box in the bb2016 era. Teams like Amazons and Woodies have a fantastic win rate and low /relatively low representation. Teams like Chaos and Orcs have a low win rate and huge representation.

2) Even at the very height of clawpomb hysteria, there was little evidence clawpomb was as effective as say, AG4, for actually winning games. but it was easier and "men go sploosh lol" so people played it.
We endlessly hear how 'broken' dwarves are but at least until very high tv there is no tv range where they exceed Undead, Lizards or Zons, but for whatever reason no one wants to talk about those teams.

If we do end up moving to a min-max meta with seasons, then it seems likely a broad range of teams will be competitively viable as they will all be developing their key ball carrier, hitter, fouler, whatever and will look increasingly similar. Maybe some teams and environment combos will turn out to be very effective, we all certainly have a lot to learn and test before determining that.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2020 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

King_Ghidra wrote:
Lyracian wrote:

This is my thought. I am expecting 80-90% of the meta to be the same six teams.

1) People will play teams they think are fun or cool regardless of competitiveness
2) People are not good judges of what is competitive
3) People will always crave a challenge, variety, or be playing some kid of meta group that encourages the same

To expand a little:
1) Look at the data for box in the bb2016 era. Teams like Amazons and Woodies have a fantastic win rate and low /relatively low representation. Teams like Chaos and Orcs have a low win rate and huge representation.

2) Even at the very height of clawpomb hysteria, there was little evidence clawpomb was as effective as say, AG4, for actually winning games. but it was easier and "men go sploosh lol" so people played it.
We endlessly hear how 'broken' dwarves are but at least until very high tv there is no tv range where they exceed Undead, Lizards or Zons, but for whatever reason no one wants to talk about those teams.

If we do end up moving to a min-max meta with seasons, then it seems likely a broad range of teams will be competitively viable as they will all be developing their key ball carrier, hitter, fouler, whatever and will look increasingly similar. Maybe some teams and environment combos will turn out to be very effective, we all certainly have a lot to learn and test before determining that.

Agree. There is always the randomness of human nature. Then add into all the above said by King G, there will also be the people who will have the random skills for the TV saving, but less effective on the pitch.

Also, the random MVP will put paid to the focused development of players too... so the Killer/Baller/Fouler combo will be harder to achieve in the random MVP era.
Lyracian

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2020 - 14:27 Reply with quote Back to top

King_Ghidra wrote:

I am perhaps being a little overly dramatic. My numbers are of course not realists and were done to emphasis a point. To expand however it is my expectation that the majority of Black Box teams will gravitate to a small number of races. I know I will be. In about 9 months we should know if that is the same for others.

gansus wrote:
I have always thought dwarves are pretty broken, as you also think, but I have felt pretty alone in this romm Rolling Eyes

he shows dwarves were the only team they had to break their own rules to give a value to players with

They always seemed an odd set of starting skills. Dwarf teams still had 40k TRR until LRB 5. I guess it must be GW's favorite race.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2020 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

GW magazine is called "White Dwarf". Just a coincidence?
AzraelEVA

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2020 - 15:57 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
But not reliable in the most common block actions. So, no. Either Block or Wrestle.

The reliability of a knockdown with 2d Block with Block vs Pro

Block = 75%
Pro = 80%
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2020 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

If you use a rr Block is more reliable, also, it increases Both Down knockdowns.
Also, I don't think you are going to use Pro if you fail an early block on your turn.
AzraelEVA

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2020 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

But you use pro if only one of your dice shows push
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2020 - 17:13 Reply with quote Back to top

And what if your dice show both down-skull, both down-both down, or skull-skull?
Do you risk to rr with Pro without using a rr? Really? At start of turn or early in the turn?
Lyracian

Post   Posted: Dec 29, 2020 - 17:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Pro will be a fine random skill on lineo. Block/Wrestle also work on defence

Lyracian.
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2021 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

1. Developing teams is about building a 'story', If all players only last 1 or 2 seasons, you might as well just call them Blitzer1 and Lineman1 (etc.), or heck why not just Knights and Pawns. Sad

2. With the crippling of the passing game, this just becomes Murderball and while injuries and deaths certainly occur, I don't want to be required to destroy my opponent's team in order to win.

3. I've been playing this game for over 30 years...maybe it's time I moved on. Sad
TrashMouse

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2021 - 21:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn, try the new ruleset first before settling on something. Leagues can set their own rulesets for re-drafting.
gamelsetlmatch

Post   Posted: Jan 10, 2021 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

stej wrote:
I'm surprised GW don't put together stadiums / dugouts / crowd models to bump up the number of things people would buy.
You may only need 16 players for a team, but you'll need a few 100 figures to make a good crowd

get a fan for each fan factor to place on your choice of the sideline and get a +1 to injury if you surf in a square he touches!!

Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2021 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Foremole wrote:
Craftnburn, try the new ruleset first before settling on something. Leagues can set their own rulesets for re-drafting.

I understand that #1 can be mitigated in League, but #2 can't be... Wildly Inaccurate scattering from the thrower instead of the target and Elves (Catchers) throwing as well as Dwarves (Lineman) just shows that whoever was doing these rule changes is pretty clueless.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2021 - 12:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Considering that throwing the ball is rare in BB2016 it should not make a big difference in BB2020, passing will be either an emergency solution or vanity in not important turns, so Wildly Inaccurate should not matter as much as you think, unless you want to pass more than once in a drive.
The bigger concern in my opinion is facing an endless series of Dwarfs, Chaos Dwarfs, Norse, Orcs and fewer differences in rosters' builds, boring.
Also, while CRP high TV was Murderball I don't think BB2020 without Piling On and with Claw nerf will be Murderball.
 Jump to: