39 coaches online • Server time: 16:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Will bb2020 changes make you retire from fumbbl?
Never, fumbbl 4eva!
76%
 76%  [ 338 ]
Completely retire
2%
 2%  [ 10 ]
Retire except still do league
7%
 7%  [ 32 ]
Retire except still do some tournaments
0%
 0%  [ 2 ]
Undecided
13%
 13%  [ 61 ]
Total Votes : 443

garyt1

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2021 - 23:35 Reply with quote Back to top

If one player does the sack, can't the next player who then does the scoop and pass be the thrower? I suppose it is a MA range thing.

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2021 - 23:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Isn't the passing game actually easier? Or, to be clear, getting receivers in a down-field position ready for the pass much easier? The new "jump" rules make it much easier to by-pass static scrummage and defensive lines and lead to more dynamic play?

Oscar Wilde
koadah

Post   Posted: Jan 14, 2021 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Willownen wrote:
They use the words FAQ in this article:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/12/08/discover-the-latest-rules-in-blood-bowls-new-faq/

So perhaps a rules review is too much. Though they mention that it will be similar to their other games, so people who know how they are can surely tell more.

Ah. Thanks.

So it is more likely four years then Sad

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2021 - 01:57 Reply with quote Back to top

spubbbba wrote:

There's also no option for lurkers who might start playing on Fummbl because of the new rules. Or for those who have already retired from playing and might come back.

Yep that's me. Been gone 5 years. Just got worn out by the old rules (pre-2016). Then I went to league and got worn down by no shows and all that.

But there is mysterious pull this game has on me, and the UI for the PC game is just too messy. Might come back.
Weresquid

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2021 - 04:14 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
If one player does the sack, can't the next player who then does the scoop and pass be the thrower? I suppose it is a MA range thing.

Thats the point, I think. The scooping player needs to get around the defense to the ball and pick it up, possibly in a tackle zone or two, dodge away and pass to a nearby reciever. This requires high MA, AG and now, PA.

I'm sure new tactics will emerge but this one just became pretty sketchy.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2021 - 04:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the new meta for elf teams will be two thrower builds. That way you can cover alot of pitch with a guy who can go in and pick up the loose ball and pass. It has massive cost implications for the roster build, but it will now mean that you need to have throwers to move the ball easily/quickly.

So in effect, GW have increased the importance of the position to something more than a leader caddy.

Having said that, I would be more worried throwing it backwards from a WIP... thats the true bad call in the new rules.
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2021 - 04:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Weresquid wrote:
Thats the point, I think. The scooping player needs to get around the defense to the ball and pick it up, possibly in a tackle zone or two, dodge away and pass to a nearby reciever. This requires high MA, AG and now, PA.
Bingo! But there is no longer any player on the team with all 3!

ClayInfinity wrote:
I think the new meta for elf teams will be two thrower builds.

I actually do run 2 throwers on my HE team (then again it's a perpetual league so I can afford to develop them!) and they pass when I'm on Offense. But for Defense it's extremely hard to get them into position to be the 'scoopers' with MA6, as Weresquid explains quite well.

Last edited by Craftnburn on Jan 15, 2021 - 04:38; edited 1 time in total
Weresquid

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2021 - 04:38 Reply with quote Back to top

With more control over player development Im guessing some players will develop throwers for mobility to do just that, but it might be unrealistic unless you have MA7 throwers.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2021 - 05:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Craftnburn wrote:

ClayInfinity wrote:
I think the new meta for elf teams will be two thrower builds.

I actually do run 2 throwers on my HE team (then again it's a perpetual league so I can afford to develop them!) and they pass when I'm on Offense. But for Defense it's extremely hard to get them into position to be the 'scoopers' with MA6, as Weresquid explains quite well.

I think your build would be considered by the min/maxers here as uneconomical in TV matched games in the Box and as such is rare. Most people wouldnt run one thrower, let alone two. HE's maybe.. the other elf types no.

However, I think BB2020 will see alot of alternate thinking re TV management and that fitting throwers into Wood Elf and Pro Elf builds will be critical.

I am also hopeful that the HE's get a freshen up in a future Spike. They should be the long passing merchants of the game.
Grod

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2021 - 07:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Weresquid wrote:
garyt1 wrote:

I'm sure new tactics will emerge but this one just became pretty sketchy.

Or the fumblerooski skill? Dodge away and leave the ball on the ground for your thrower to pick up and pass it? There is even an advantage to doing it this way - you don't have to set up a receiver before acquiring the ball.

So you can stay in a defensive posture, but IF you succesfully get the ball out of the scrum and fumblrooski it to the ground, THEN you move a receiver down field and shift to an offensive posture.

Oscar Wilde
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2021 - 09:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
So you can stay in a defensive posture, but IF you succesfully get the ball out of the scrum and fumblrooski it to the ground, THEN you move a receiver down field and shift to an offensive posture.

And then you roll "wildly inaccurate" an it all goes to shambles. Laughing More likely you just try a handover and spend your doubles on Guard. Wink
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2021 - 12:05 Reply with quote Back to top

ClayInfinity wrote:

I think your build would be considered by the min/maxers here as uneconomical in TV matched games in the Box and as such is rare. Most people wouldnt run one thrower, let alone two. HE's maybe.. the other elf types no.

I don't know in BB2020, but in BB2016 and CRP even minmaxers used 1 Thrower, if not to actually pass, as Leader caddy.
Elven Union Thrower is a bargain.

Last edited by MattDakka on Jan 15, 2021 - 17:34; edited 1 time in total
Zlefin

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2021 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm planning to try again for awhile to try out the new stuff, then see where I go from there.
I've barely played in the past several years; so I'd basically be coming back.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2021 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I’m basically repeating what others have said, I know, but we had all of this when we moved from LRB4 to CRP. I’d go as far as to say that there was more noise then than now, actually.

Games played on site while the old rules were in place were in a state of pretty depressing decline. They picked up when the new rules arrived. I think that, personal feelings aside, the new rules arriving on FUMBBL will be healthy for the site if you use that metric.

There’s some stuff I like, there’s some stuff I don’t, but at it’s core, it’s still Blood Bowl. While I respect the opinions of others, I struggle to sympathise with the idea that the game has changed so much that you’d bin the hobby off. I think it would be a shame to leave without even having a go, but good luck to all those that do.
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Jan 15, 2021 - 15:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I've been retired from coaching with a severe case of burn out for a while now. The part of playing BloodBowl on FUMBBL I miss the most is the competition of the tournament scene.

There's something about playing in a Minor final or any level of a Major that gets my adrenaline flowing that I haven't been able to find in other hobbies. What I didn't like was the insane amount of prep it took to really have a team that could even think about advancing very far in a Major. Now it's looking like 30 matches or any completed season after a team's first ought to have them on a reasonably even footing.

The promise of an intriguing new Tournament scene might shake me into coming out of retirement.

Jump to: