33 coaches online • Server time: 09:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post War Drums?goto Post Advice tabletop tour...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you agree with most of the points indicated in this thread?
yes
5%
 5%  [ 9 ]
No
66%
 66%  [ 104 ]
I don't care: i will play BB whatever be the rules
24%
 24%  [ 38 ]
I will abandon BB2020 in any case
3%
 3%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 157

naytsyrhc

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2021 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
so, to 2+ pick up you would need AG 5 and AG 5 will be rare with bb2020. This means that with the D8 AG 4 (the most common higher-than-average AG) the pick up is 75% (3+ on D8 ), compared to 83.3% with AG 4 and using the D6 system (2+ on D6).

But that's not what the orignal author of this thread suggested, right? He suggested to introduce a D8 to make BB less risky and less depending on dice roll. And I said: won't recommend it Wink
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2021 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

argos_72 wrote:
ClayInfinity wrote:
argos_72,
Blood Bowl is a crazy game with cartoony hijinks set in a fantasy world that enables every underdog to sometimes have his day.

To answer your question [...] Pitch Invasion [...] its comical

Here I agree with you: this game is comical

So, we all agree. What is left to argue about?

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2021 - 22:19 Reply with quote Back to top

When me and my mates tried out blood bowl by using Warhammer miniatures on a pitch printed on A4 sheets taped together, using D6s and knowing that the 6 was a pow, the 5 was a defender stumbles, etc... We probably would have been put of by having to buy a load of D8s just to try a game

Keep blood bowl accessible, leave the weird polygons for special occasions
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2021 - 22:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Loads? if 2 D8 is "loads" then ok, but if somebody can purchase a BB box I guess he can gets 2 extra D8s, also, most nerds generally have several D8s used to play RPGs and other TT games.
D8 are cheap anyway, buying 2 or 3 doesn't require a king's ransom expense.
And no, I don't have a D8 factory trying to sell them, in case somebody was wondering... Very Happy
Java

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2021 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

We didn't purchase a bb box

We used the freely available rules, we printed off a pitch, we used Warhammer miniatures

A lot of people started off that way in the wilderness years Smile
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2021 - 22:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so, if somebody can buy miniatures and print a pitch he should be able to find/buy 3 d8. Very Happy
It's not super-advanced technology or expensive stuff.
argos_72

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2021 - 23:01 Reply with quote Back to top

naytsyrhc wrote:
Quote:
so, to 2+ pick up you would need AG 5 and AG 5 will be rare with bb2020. This means that with the D8 AG 4 (the most common higher-than-average AG) the pick up is 75% (3+ on D8 ), compared to 83.3% with AG 4 and using the D6 system (2+ on D6).

But that's not what the orignal author of this thread suggested, right? He suggested to introduce a D8 to make BB less risky and less depending on dice roll. And I said: won't recommend it Wink

I admit that my eight poll points would have needed a little bit more explanations.

The main goal of the 8-faces dice is to correct some situations where the 6-faces dice does not have enough "space of the events" to cover all the possibilities.
Example: the Mummy that pick the ball in 3 tackle enemy zone because 6 is always a success (16,6% success w/o rr 30% success with RR) where usually it is required a 8+
Another example: Skaven Rat AG5 dodge into zero or 1 tackle zone always with 2+

Naturally if the D8 is used you can decide also to change some modifier for "simple" actions: like pick up the ball 2+ if player is isolated (no opponets within 6 squares) and nice weather ... )
Just to make little bit more real (isolated player in his half of the pitch who does not have pressure from the opponents and there is nice weather should pick up the ball with 90% of probability)

so if you want it is not just to make the game less risky, i would say is to make the game more realistic (even if it is a fantasy game i know) or more balanced call how do you want.

i do not want to abolish the dice

But I understand that several people fear the game can become more borning for this.
argos_72

Post   Posted: Mar 09, 2021 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Catalyst32 wrote:
argos_72 wrote:
Catalyst32 wrote:
YOU PROVE OUR POINT.
You are SO OBTUSE that you don't even know that you ALREADY KNOW you are WRONG.

you can calm down maybe...? Not sure why we have to enter in this mood

No. We MUST enter this "mood" because you insist on something that you KNOW is not TRUE, You have just admitted to it and it has been pointed out to you because you insist on the FALSE NARRATIVE.

And here you are again to further insist on what you have just admitted is FAKSE,

It is not an a insult to state things the way they are, You are being obtuse and it is you who is violating site policy to continue so. And the common term for behaving that way is known as Trolling.

I have just stated things the way that they are.

AND I DID NOT call you those things. I said your OPINION is being Trolled (by you).
And I never called you an idiot. I said you are ignorant of Football and of the whole point of Blood Bowl's randomness. You clearly do not watch American Football so again I am only stating a FACT. You ARE ignorant of it. Just as I am ignorant of how to speak Chinese. Being ignorant of something does not make one an idiot.

You are once again FALSE and Trolling as evidenced by you being false and trolling.

sorry Catalyst32 but you called me OBTUSE with CAPS LOCK.
in a public forum writing words in CAPITAL letters and telling a person that he is OBTUSE is equivalent to shouting and insulting.
This way of expressing yourself is not tolerable
MrCushtie

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2021 - 02:46 Reply with quote Back to top

From a Rick Priestley interview:

Quote:
I don’t remember exactly when the first percentile dice arrived in the UK, although I recall they were sold by Skytrex and were quite expensive. These were actually 20-sided dice numbered 0-9 twice – one red and one black making a pair. There were a few games that featured these dice. I remember in particular a set of WW2 naval rules that used a series of complicated charts and graphs in conjunction with a percentage mechanic to determine the effect of gunfire. These dice suggested rules mechanisms different from those associated with usual six-sided dice. Percentage dice – D100s if you like – imply a mathematical profundity and precision that I believe we found appealing at the time. They give a feel of a serious and proper game – something more realistic than could be achieved with a D6. I still maintain that D100s give that feel to a game, though I would also suggest that it is a ‘feel’ only and in fact such mechanics are neither more realistic nor more accurate in terms of simulation. D100s can be remarkably unhelpful because of the even spread of probability, making fluky scores rather more common that you might wish. I would go on to use a D100 system for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, but we had to ameliorate the fluke element with ‘fate points’ to protect players from erratic dice swings.

... so I guess he'd argue that D8 is going to make things worse, although not as bad as D100 would.

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2021 - 06:52 Reply with quote Back to top

So MrCushtie, are we advocating here a normal distribution curve in that most rolls within 1 standard deviation are a 3 or 4, and then a 2 and 5 only comes up within 2 standard deviations and a 1 and a 6 only occur outside the bell curve of 2 standard deviations.

There ya go maths nerds! Play blood bowl that way in which AG4 is king and everyone mostly gets pushed on every block!

At least its less random and skill can reign supreme!

/sarcasm
Bobs

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2021 - 07:57 Reply with quote Back to top

If there's not gonna be a chance for a Troll to make a 15+ intercept cause he rolled a 6 I don't want to play anymore.

XpherAndTheAxes

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2021 - 10:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Bobs wrote:
If there's not gonna be a chance for a Troll to make a 15+ intercept cause he rolled a 6 I don't want to play anymore.

And dont forget the 1 in 6 chance of the treemen catch!
koadah

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2021 - 10:28 Reply with quote Back to top

XpherAndTheAxes wrote:
Bobs wrote:

And dont forget the 1 in 6 chance of the treemen catch!

Intercept then root while attempting to enter the end zone.

They should elect Argos_72 onto the rules committee. It is only 82-4 (at the time of writing).
Plenty of time to catch up.

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2021 - 10:33 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
It is only 82-4 (at the time of writing).
Plenty of time to catch up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMqZ2PPOLik

Post   Posted: Mar 10, 2021 - 10:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Bobs wrote:

Smile yes i admit this is funny Smile
 Jump to: