44 coaches online • Server time: 11:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Heroic_Tackle

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2021 - 10:27 Reply with quote Back to top

When building a roster with Elf teams (apart from Dark Elf) and Skaven teams, I wonder how many Throwers a Coach will take.

I would prefer to take at least one to have the option and help with OTT, but there is a problem. A Thrower on Wood Elf, Elfen Union and Skaven is not an even price to hire. You will have 5K Gold that you cannot spend AFAIK if the tournament rules are 110 or 115 TV.

So, do you take a second Thrower, is that even worth it? Or do you take no Thrower at all and rely on Hand-Offs?

This seems to be a general problem with teams that have those kind of players with an uneven cost.

Personaly it really bugs me with Skaven. Having 4 Gutters, 1 Thrower, 2 Blitzers and any kind of other players (no Stars) you have 45K Gold that you cannot spend in a good Way (IMO).
Wolbum

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2021 - 10:41 Reply with quote Back to top

A lot of teams can go through this but an easy solution is to use it either on more fan factor or two assistant coaches and cheerleaders. But it is crazy not to go at least one thrower because of it.
BlockBadger

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2021 - 11:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Save for apo or get some FF to earn some more money faster. For skaven I think their thrower will be very important option for their stretch plays as they require a pass and a hand off if you want that super long play, could be totally wrong though and it might turn out 29 squares of range is not needed XD
stej

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2021 - 11:33 Reply with quote Back to top

In general, I'd say if your throwing the ball, something has gone wrong in the drive.
If you get surehands with your thrower, it's probably a decent pickup in a starter team
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2021 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

BlockBadger wrote:
get some FF to earn some more money faster

This thread is about non-progression tournaments

Wolbum wrote:
an easy solution is to use it either on more fan factor or two assistant coaches and cheerleaders

With brilliant coaching moving to 7 on the kick off table, asst. coaches seem to have more value than cheerleaders now. FF only affects 11 and 12 on the table so theoretically has less value than either (though 11 and 12 are both quite bad to lose).

To answer OP's question, Skaven have a lot to play with at 1150 (unless you are taking rogre). They can probably afford to fit two Throwers in.

For Elves I think you will see rosters with and without throwers, depending on skill packs. I think it will be very possible to play the hand-off game with Elven Union and High Elves.

But as with previous NAF play, Throwers might still provide a lot of value as Leader caddies.

Last edited by King_Ghidra on Mar 15, 2021 - 14:35; edited 1 time in total
vradipous

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2021 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

This is a problem for my skaven too and I decided to go with no throwers. I hope with 9 ma the hand off is enough. If it isn't I' ll have to change my playstyle at all.
Heroic_Tackle

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2021 - 16:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I am leaning this way also. I mean Sure, two Throwers is possible. But they are still so expensive.

Taking 4 AC is fine, but really ? So much TV...
And 5k gone.

To me it feels other teams suffer this a lot less. Undead for example. I know they are terrible at passing now, but...still. Or look at Dark Elfs. Apart from Assassins they get all important players and have 50 K Gold extra. Is the passing nerf that Big? I wonder.

Be the same as them and give up passing. Or bite the bullet and lose TV. Not cool in tournaments.

Yeah, One does not want to Pass.But there is still OTT and bad kicks / desperation.

Leader feels strange Now. Maybe with expensive Stars. But Roster without Stars, do you need it?
King_Ghidra

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2021 - 18:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Heroic_Tackle wrote:
Leader feels strange Now. Maybe with expensive Stars. But Roster without Stars, do you need it?

Need it? Well it still depends on the race, roster and tournament pack.

Want it? In a new Blood Bowl that lets you use multiple RR per turn, that starts to look more attractive than ever.
Swampserpent

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2021 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I think you all are overlooking one important part of throwers in NAF tournaments. they have normal skill access to leader. consider a lineman who takes a double skill choice to access it.. a thrower on skaven costs 85 with a re roll where a lineman and re roll cost 100,000 or a lineman with a double cost 90,000
Heroic_Tackle

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2021 - 20:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Multiple RRs, yes. Might be a Good reason.
Thrower with Leader is cheaper than Lino + RR, right. That way you have to spend a skill and gain Sure Hands/Pass/PA2+. That is also fine.

Unfortunately it does still make you spend the rest in a 2nd Thrower or ACs and lose 5k. Well, we will see.
Heroic_Tackle

Post   Posted: Mar 15, 2021 - 20:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny Thing, if Stars are allowed this problem goes away. Just take Glart who BTW is one Star with an uneven cost. Black Gobbos, too. Funny that both play for Skaven. Afaik they are the only uneven priced Guys.
DrDeath

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2021 - 00:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Skaven have been probably my favourite race for 10 years, but I've never seen the thrower as essential. I usually take one as a leader caddy - and that is probably more worthwhile in the new rules - but never two, that is just bloat. Lots of coaches rarely bother with the thrower because with one hand off two gutter runners can reliably move the ball 19 squares without even any GFIs - and you should have four gutter runners. Passing is rarely needed, and it will be rarer still in the new edition.
MrCushtie

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2021 - 02:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Silence-silence man thing! The glory of the horned rat demands you take two throwers: first thrower picks up the ball and throws to a runner, who then runs back and hands off to the other thrower. Who then ... Err... Do not question the Gray Seers!

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2021 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

There was a Team on BB2 named Make Throwers Great Again. It had, of course, two Throwers. Razz

Never-never question the Gray Seers!
Heroic_Tackle

Post   Posted: Mar 16, 2021 - 12:49 Reply with quote Back to top

DrDeath wrote:
Passing is rarely needed, and it will be rarer still in the new edition.

Yeah, that's it in a Nutshell.

Can't wait to see team builds in tournament Formats.
 Jump to: