41 coaches online • Server time: 10:33
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DonnyRainboe

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 01:26 Reply with quote Back to top

GReetings all,

Now that the B.B.C. recognises E sports as sports worth covering I got asked what FUMBBL was by someone I was interviewing with. He couldn't wrap his head around it but it was cool trying to explain that it's like ice hockey just without the overtime. He was not from Europe so I figured it was a better fit than explaining the old British shipping routes and canal systems.

He seemed impressed. Is it silly to put I play a java based game on my CV. I joked at first but he might have used that as an opener to break the ice.
stej

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Why would you describe it as like ice hockey when it's a parody of american football in a fantasy setting?
mekutata

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 10:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe he spoke to a Canadian. They dont know any pther sport. In Austria I always describe Blood Bowl as skiing but with dice.

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 10:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Also ice hockey includes brawls, so that makes it closer to Blood Bowl than most modern popular sports. Still the Italians play proper real Blood Bowl...

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 11:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah come on.

Ice hockey does not allow players to carry the puck. You have goals, not touchdowns or trys. They are allowed a weapon but it is not very secret.

Even Canadians have some kind of funny "football" thing and rugby too.
They must have heard of it even if they've never seen it.

Football and rugby players may (sometimes) pretend to not be maniacs but don't you believe it Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

When Bloodbowl has professional players, an audience of thousands and million £/$/€ prize money then Im sure the BBC will feature fumbbl as well Smile
DonnyRainboe

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the Spanish water boards and Russian's might disagree. I am applying for many job's three and this is what I choose to talk about.

Pond hockey is what I was visual visualizing - I can NOT skate backwards. I like Canadian's. I don't speak French. Every time they beat us (Europe) at something, I think about what my grandfather told me. We needed them to win the war. I wished I'd asked why but I was to young to really know what I was asking. I know he was in Germany with an Armoured division. But so were many other's that didn't return.

I am grate full he did.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 12:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Us Canucks understand football (both kinds) just fine and most sports. We get both the NFL and CFL here so American style football is definitely well known and popular.

If you wanted a truly Canadian sport comparable to BB you could start with lacrosse. Basically BB, but with sticks you are allowed to hit people with that aren't secret weapons. Wink

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Blood Bowl is closer to Australian Rugby League (which is NOT Rugby Union)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrdiE-49bw8 - this is a great video showcasing League and its similarities to Blood Bowl
DonnyRainboe

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 13:40 Reply with quote Back to top

stej wrote:
Why would you describe it as like ice hockey when it's a parody of american football in a fantasy setting?

To be honest, I do not know. I am 99% sure that Ice-hockey on pond's is different from rink hockey played in the NFL. My team of choice back when EA sports had the best hockey simulators was team is the Sharks, of San Jose.

But Goaltending in Hockey is like playing on never ending glacier. They can get behind you, the puck gets iced sometimes. But the penalty system seem logic based, more so than null point exceptions,

I digress.
Azur

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't forget Calcio Fiorentino.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQKZ6EnfZz8

Grand Finale between Humans and Imperial Nobility Wink
DonnyRainboe

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

I lasted a minute of that music before I found the icon to kill the loud angry music. It was all a bit to much for me and my poor little ears to take in. I remember why I disagreed to youtube's terms of service.
DonnyRainboe

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

As I re call the purple pant-a-loons from that youtube video reminded be of Gab. Batistuta (spelling) . it took me back....

Then I thought I hop-e they win, again.
Apus

Post 10 Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calcio_Fiorentino

Along with the Palio, the winning team used to receive a Chianina, a type of pure-bred cow. However, this has been reduced to a free dinner for the winning team; the players earn no other compensation

They used to win a COW, but now they just settle for a free dinner Cool
sann0638

Post   Posted: Mar 29, 2021 - 21:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Where has the BBC covered esports?

Jump to: