34 coaches online • Server time: 10:00
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Gnome Box ranking pa...goto Post Dodge
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you think such a feature to avoid misclicked dodges would be usefull?
Yes
36%
 36%  [ 26 ]
No
53%
 53%  [ 38 ]
Don't care
9%
 9%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 71

garyt1

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 00:10 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:
Agree that it sucks when you misclick, but the solution is to not misclick.

Good grief.

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 00:12 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
If it was an option that the user had to enable first in the client, then fine.
But it is all more work for the devs.

Would be a lovely option for users. Way down the priorities..

Being able to click cancel for example after clicking on move action, and then being able to for example click on handoff, if you haven't moved any squares yet would be nice.
I've mis-clicked when needing to do a handoff more than once.

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 02:16 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:

Being able to click cancel for example after clicking on move action, and then being able to for example click on handoff, if you haven't moved any squares yet would be nice.
I've mis-clicked when needing to do a handoff more than once.

if im understanding you correctly this is already possible? if you click move action, you can then cancel the move action by clicking on the selected player, and then select a different action, such as handoff or blitz.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 19:09 Reply with quote Back to top

garyt1 wrote:
uzkulak wrote:

Good grief.

I just don't like save scumming/second chances in games. For me it ruins the experience if you get to go back and try again when you make a mistake. I think this also reflects the reality of board games as well where ie touching a piece normally means you have to move it/failing to move the turn marker causes a turnover etc.

I get that not everyone likes to play "ironman", but I do think it should be the default position for any online game that is trying to mimic an actual boardgame.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Good idea.
Sharkrudi

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 20:21 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:
Sorry, but no. IMO the client holds the player's hand too much as it is. You need to be responsible for your own mistakes.

+1

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 22:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
What about an option (like concede) to declare a misclick, but it must be ratified by the opponent before the last action is undone? Just a thought - I'm not massively fussed either way. Unless you are playing a douche I'd have thought that was a possibility.

+1
argos_72

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 22:48 Reply with quote Back to top

uzkulak wrote:

I just don't like save scumming/second chances in games. For me it ruins the experience if you get to go back and try again when you make a mistake. I think this also reflects the reality of board games as well where ie touching a piece normally means you have to move it/failing to move the turn marker causes a turnover etc.

For me a misclick is not a mistake. Is an avoidable accident. A mistake is a bad move you do because maybe you do not play very well. So you deserve to lose if you make bad mistakes.

Concerning the "you touch the piece , you moved!" Yes, in some real-life games usually in high competitive tournaments (Chess f.i) is like this : But you don't play like this in general with your friends.

But at the end if we speak about the "true experience" which is the real tabletop game: in the reality a misclick dodge (when you wanted to perform a block) is not possible.

And then let's think how often a msiclick happen? Not very often right? Maybe once per match . Or once every two games. How much catastrophic can be? A lot: You can lose the drive.

So I still do not arrive to understand why the majority is against a solution like the one proposed by Malmir before.
(if could be technically easy to implement)
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir's idea will get nasty when people don't believe there was a misclick.

I think that maybe people don't understand why you have so many misclicks.
Are you trying to play too fast? Do you have a broken computer/mouse/connection?

Yes, I admit it. I am often too slow. But I don't recall my last misclick.
I probably make more 4+ dodges than misclicks. Wink

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

IRL examples are kind of silly, this is a game, and the ideal result is fun for everyone, and the worst thing that can happen is people get super angry.

No one is about to die over a missclick. (other than the players)

So the question that should be being asked, is would another checking step make the game more fun for everyone? For me no, it would drag out an already very long game, and I've maybe 1-5 missclicks in 70 odd games? Its not worth the extra time for me. But from what I'm getting from you it might for you.

So instead of throwing out silly self defeating arguments build on my opinion lets try and help the issue, people miss clicking.

Some tips to make your mice perform better:

Go to mouse settings, then click additional mouse options.

Under pointer options, Set the slider to the middle point (6th from each end), or if you don't have a DPI settable mouse, just a bit lower than you feel combatable with.

Make sure "Enhance pointer precision" is turned off. I would also recommend a turning off pointer trails and making your pointer smaller or if you're struggling to see it a cross.

Speed up your double click speed under the buttons tab if that is an issue.

If you do have DPI selection on your mouse, set your DPI to somewhere between 600 to 1600. The more twitchy you are as a person the lower I would suggest you go DPI wise.

Use a mouse mat and if needed a wrist rest, if your not comfy your likely to struggle with clicking cleanly.

You could also investigate using zoom software to get a better view of what's going on. I've not used it so can't help sorry.

And sadly last, if your using a bad mouse or warn out laptop track pad, these are going to make mistakes happen. Its well worth spending a little on an ok mouse, trackball etc.
Strider84

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 23:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I think Malmir's idea is fine. I usually wanna give back a misclicked action, but then we lose a turn and it's not fair either.

I also like the original idea with the 4+ dodge. However, the only issue I see there is when people dodge from diving tackle, they get asked if they really want to 4+ dodge. while this is fine for me, I am sure that some people think it's the player's responsibility to figure out what odds their dodges are / to see diving tackle.

So probably not the way to go forward.

As for the Malmir idea, I'm not so sure if it's technically easy or even possible to go back in a game state. That is probably rather difficult to implement, but @Candlejack would need to comment on this.
Tripleskull

Post   Posted: Nov 09, 2021 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Strider84 wrote:
However, the only issue I see there is when people dodge from diving tackle, they get asked if they really want to 4+ dodge. while this is fine for me, I am sure that some people think it's the player's responsibility to figure out what odds their dodges are / to see diving tackle.

I am not sure it is normally a 4+ dodge before DT is used. So would you get a warning? You could also make the pop up depend on dodnging into TZs. Isn't that the main issue with missclicks?
Grod

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2021 - 06:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Just wanted to add, for anyone who has a big high def monitor, there is an easy way to make the client larger on PCs when you play.

After you launch a game, right click on your desktop and select "Display Settings".
Under "Scale and Layout" change from the default 100% to say 175% (for a 4K monitor). Enjoy much larger client with less misclicks!

Simply reverse at the end of the game.

Oscar Wilde
Strider84

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2021 - 11:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Tripleskull wrote:
Strider84 wrote:
However, the only issue I see there is when people dodge from diving tackle, they get asked if they really want to 4+ dodge. while this is fine for me, I am sure that some people think it's the player's responsibility to figure out what odds their dodges are / to see diving tackle.

I am not sure it is normally a 4+ dodge before DT is used. So would you get a warning? You could also make the pop up depend on dodnging into TZs. Isn't that the main issue with missclicks?

Yeah that should work. Most of my misclicks are at the beginning of the game when still marking players and hitting enter just when a popup pops up if I want to use an apo on my rookie lino Wink those guys are so lucky they get the apo in these situations
argos_72

Post   Posted: Nov 10, 2021 - 11:37 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Malmir's idea will get nasty when people don't believe there was a misclick.

I think that maybe people don't understand why you have so many misclicks.
Are you trying to play too fast? Do you have a broken computer/mouse/connection?

Yes, I admit it. I am often too slow. But I don't recall my last misclick.
I probably make more 4+ dodges than misclicks. Wink

Misclicked dodge is nothing with fast play, at least for me.
On the contrary
Some time it happen when you hesitate little bit. you want to check how many block dice you will roll with this player (so you click the player and you want to see the dices block preview: in a situation with many players grouped is usefull) and because the client window is small, because the mouse, because whatever you move and make a dodge at 4+ 5+ or even 6+.
I played with PC and with a laptop. I used also different mouses. But sometimes happen.
I repeat: if happen not often, maybe once every two or three match (now I am very prudent and I move slow but sometime I risk timeout as a lot of people do not warn you and call ) anyway when this happen it catastrophic
 Jump to: