60 coaches online • Server time: 23:08
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Creating a custom to...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 14, 2021 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I think we all know that I am the only person ever on this site who should be read as a Scholar Giving a Sermon from on High. So I shall!

From the Book of the Prophet Jonah Chapter 4 Verse 7 " But at dawn the next day God provided a worm, which chewed the plant so that it withered."

Consider as you elevate yourself, oh mortal being that you are, that in time of need, it was the worm appointed by the creator of the universe to teach a lesson of infinite compassion to his chosen messenger. When you read thus the words of a fellow human, a divine-breathed being of equal inherent worth to your own, how much more might a lesson be waiting for you, should you be willing to listen?

I mean, I also like Jonah on account of the fish being a big deal, and I would happily foul JanMattys as a sign of affection, but really I came on the site today to make an announcement:

I've decide to run for office!

I know, weird coming from me, but what else are you going to do? Re-Hash ancient arguments with people un-interested in learning or enlightenment? Give me a break!

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2021 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

What's the etiquette for using caps on the internet?
BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2021 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

It’s usually accepted on pages 1 to 15 of a discussion. But page 16 CAPS can be considered provocative.

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2021 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

BeanBelly wrote:
It’s usually accepted on pages 1 to 15 of a discussion. But page 16 CAPS can be considered provocative.

Can we somehow evolve that consensus to it being seen as out of place after page 2? It would make for a more pleasant reading experience methinks.
BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2021 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah okay I agree.

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2021 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

BeanBelly wrote:

True.
Unless there is a good "in thread" reason to use CAPS on page 16.
Then it isn't just a meaningless use of CAPS on turn 16 because... like at all times when I use CAPS (for example) there is something of extra importance in the words being capitalized meant to convey a message to certain readers that are reading the words and not comprehending them.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2021 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

stej wrote:
What's the etiquette for using caps on the internet?

That does not apply to ALL of the INTERWEBS.

It is the etiquette for CHAT ROOMS.

Not FORUMS or other pages with more of a long-form type of communication.

And everyone knows that IF they know anything about interwebs based communication. Evil or Very Mad
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2021 - 16:36 Reply with quote Back to top

I like them at the start of sentences... Or when people refer to me (because I am very important!)

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2021 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

MACAVITY

Wow, it really works.

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2021 - 17:19 Reply with quote Back to top

The caps would be one thing. It's the repeated hostile posts all replying to one person's (old) replies, with lots of caps and rambling and things said that are hard to read without hearing as a shout, coupled with demands for civility from others. I mean, as somebody who's personally broken a forum in this community, I know what "you're threatening the integrity of this forum" looks like, and I'm looking at it now. I was that guy once, please don't be him today.

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2021 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
MACAVITY

Wow, it really works.

I am taking this as an endorsement of my up-coming candidacy!

Vote Mac! Even Italians like him, and they have great cheeses!

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2021 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Macavity wrote:
Even Italians like him

[citation needed]

Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 15, 2021 - 21:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I mean..... one wrote my name in all caps....

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2021 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

MACAVITY for NAF president.

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2021 - 21:50 Reply with quote Back to top

macavitY
 Jump to: