54 coaches online • Server time: 20:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How should WIL go forward?
Keep bb2020 skill progression (and redraft in some form)
70%
 70%  [ 28 ]
Migrate to bb2016 skill progression (no redraft)
30%
 30%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 40

DaCoach

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 09:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Coaches of the White Isle League

We’re coming close to completing the first season under bb2020 rules, and it’s been a blast:
45 coaches competing and the vast majority of the 150ish games played. And from what I can gather, good atmosphere all around.
On the backend side of things, Seasons and re-drafting are not yet implemented.

At the same time, I have been approaches by coaches who feel that we’re with the new skill progression with planned skills and careful TV management towards a possible re-draft is getting too far away from what WIL is to them: a place of historic rivalry between epic teams, full of legendary players.

I, for one, can nod to that, and been looking into solutions to address this.

Cibbl (highly recommended if you’re looking for another League) have acknowledged that their system of ranking based on team and player achievements relies on retaining players and have successfully migrated towards bb2020 rules but bb2016 skill progression. So, 6,16, 31 etc. and no redraft.
So, I am putting the question out there – in a forum tread (with a poll) – to get your perspective and thoughts on it.

What would the consequences be if we went that way?
• A slightly prolonged admin period between season 61 and 62
• Sorting out skills per team: some will be easy: some take some more time, and require admin/coach dialogue, like randoms.
• Stat costs will be bb2020 regardless of bb2016 progression (for now at least)

Please (WIL coaches only) use the poll option, and engage in the discussion below.
Dynamix

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 09:39 Reply with quote Back to top

I will go with whatever the majority want, but my knee jerk reaction from a coach who has only been in WIL a few seasons is that we use BB2020 redraft.

We have the Veterans league for those who want monster TV teams

I personally am not a huge fan of monster TV teams, and feel that a cap and re drafting is a step forward

My 2p

Dynamix
Traum

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 11:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Definetely use the new BB2020 ruleset. Don't see any reason for moving backwards and going back in time. However, if that is what the majoriy wants, so be it. Then I guess this league isn't for me. Let's see what ppl want and take it from there.
Kinks

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Fastest I've ever voted. I've recently applied to CIBBL mainly for this rule hybrid.

There are simply a lot of teams I'm not interested in using under 2020 redrafting rules.

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Traum wrote:
Definetely use the new BB2020 ruleset. Don't see any reason for moving backwards and going back in time. However, if that is what the majoriy wants, so be it. Then I guess this league isn't for me. Let's see what ppl want and take it from there.

Thanks for the input. Just to be clear: we're only talking skill progression and redraft - all skills etc. will continue to be 2020 as now.
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 13:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the problem is you need to balance the needs of the old guard while at the same time keeping the league attractive for new joiners. The further from the "official" rules we deviate the harder it will be to tick the second box. Personally I see WIL as very much a mainstream official league, maybe even THE mainstream league of FUMBBL - and any departure from the "proper" rules will immediately reduce its position at that apex and self-assign it into a fringe/niche/secondary position when it comes to recruitment.

The lifeblood of WIL isn't the premiership, its the whole pyramid of players throughout the divisions and as with any pyramid structure the base is more important than the tip. So, my feelings are WIL needs to be kept absolutely in line with all of the official rules - without exception - in order to maintain its position and reputation on the site. If some established players would rather play in a different type of league, let them go. Keeping a constant influx of newer coaches is more important for the long term survival of WIL.

So i have voted for option A.
DaCoach

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 13:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Thx uzkulak, clear talk.
Please elaborate on deviation from rules. Is that to stay 100% true to C, or same framework as C? - There's a lot of freedom to https://fumbbl.com/p/ruleset?id=2314 play with:
Season lenght, Redraft Cap, Winnings as well as agent fees.
Just so I have a rough understanding.

Last edited by DaCoach on %b %05, %2022 - %14:%Feb; edited 1 time in total
phil78

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Voted for BB2020 skills/redrafts - Not in love with all aspects of it but it's what the game is now, if we're deviating then why did we ever drop the old teams?
As others have mentioned if we expect new players to join it's easiest to not have them have to understand/get used to rather adhoc differences.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

As a (long term) temporarily retired WILler (WILlian?) and someone who was involved in the CIBBL evolution, something I didnt put much time into thinking about was how to actually make redraft work in a repeating league format. I have no doubt it can work but I did have some nagging concerns to think about, primarily about how to set a number of games before redraft limit.

Aside from the how long a season is controlling you approximate team development TV range, my concern was matching league game numbers to Redraft game limits e.g. if you want to redraft after 15 games then you need your league structure to fit within that to not end up with redrafting mid season. If you end up have 3 seasons of 5 games before each redraft that works, but how do you manage the poor team that had a couple of missed games and now has a lower redraft budget?

Do you allow early redraft? How do you manage if teams get out of sync with redrafts?
DaCoach

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice input Coddlefish - always welcome back.
You do touch upon some of my concerns there, too - with less flexibility to fill the divisions are we have teams.
The SWL, to be league name-dropping here, has an army of admins, and can thus do everything manual to adapt for that, but I deliberately don't want that for WIL, given the challenges on the admin side for years.
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

DaCoach wrote:
Please (WIL coaches only) use the poll option, and engage in the discussion below.

Are "Veterans" allowed? Twisted Evil

No surprise, I voted 2016 skill progression/no redraft.
Caps as of old but probably a cap on the Prem as well.

About the only thing I like about the re-buy is the ability to patch up battered teams. I'd consider awarding "League Grants" so that teams could afford to replace dead or permanently injured players. The value would depend on the level in the pyramid.

The problem really though, is that you are trying to accommodate two conflicting ways of playing the game.
Some people are going to have to suck it up or move on.

If staying "official" is important, that pretty much decides which people that will be.

Last edited by koadah on %b %05, %2022 - %18:%Feb; edited 2 times in total
rodvil

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 16:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I really, really don't like the BB2016 skill system.
I'm pretty sure I will stop playing WIL and join a new league with full BB2020 rules if the change happens.
Lucky and easy stat ups are what decides if a team is very strong or not!
I'm in CIBBL and I love the teams and league but keeping the old skill system, for me, was a major turn down.
Lyracian

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

rodvil wrote:
I'm pretty sure I will stop playing WIL and join a new league with full BB2020 rules if the change happens.
I would also look for another league. Randoms are fun.

rodvil wrote:
Lucky and easy stat ups are what decides if a team is very strong or not!

There is still luck with Random skills but a team full of stat freaks is not going to happen.

DaCoach wrote:
play with:
Season lenght, Redraft Cap, Winnings as well as agent fees.
Just so I have a rough understanding.

Sure and these are the sort of things Commissioner should be setting not, in my opinion, the skill system!

I would be happy with a cap anywhere up to 1500 TV. I also like that WIL has gone with 3 seasons of no agency fees. That means those random linemen with 1-2 points can get hired again and have a chance to skill up.

Lyracian.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 18:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Why would we restart with new teams if we didn’t intend to convert to the new normal? It may not be perfect, but we should embrace it now we’re here.
Medon

Post   Posted: Feb 05, 2022 - 18:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I’m by no means a veteran, but the bb2020 skilling system was for me personally the main reason to re-enter WIL. We’re all trying to find out how the new skilling system works, when to take randoms, when to save up for stat-ups etc. WIL is a great place to get used to the new mechanics. It would be a shame to stop the experiment half-way.
 Jump to: