54 coaches online • Server time: 13:11
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ohwatch

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2022 - 05:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello,

I explain it:

Sometimes, i had blitz with my runners skavens and i went on on the ball.

I was expected catch the ball. But nothing.
Ball direct out witout dicing?

Maybe a bug?

Last edited by Ohwatch on Apr 17, 2022 - 06:51; edited 1 time in total
delphonso

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2022 - 06:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Did it count as a failed action and switch turns?

I did this move last night with a pestigor - no problem.
Kondor

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2022 - 06:44 Reply with quote Back to top

If you push a player onto the ball, I do not believe that player has a chance to pick it up. It bounces away. Is that what happened?

If it bounces to you you get a chance to catch it.
Ohwatch

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2022 - 06:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok but bounce not appear in log dices.
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2022 - 10:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Can you give us an example replay? We need more details to investigate.

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2022 - 16:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
If you push a player onto the ball, I do not believe that player has a chance to pick it up. It bounces away.

It does NOT bounce away. Your pushed player does have a chance to pick it up... simply because ANY player walking on a square occupied by the ball MUST try to pick it up.
Mandatory pick up whatever the situation...
MiBasse

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2022 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Azur wrote:
Kondor wrote:
If you push a player onto the ball, I do not believe that player has a chance to pick it up. It bounces away.

It does NOT bounce away. Your pushed player does have a chance to pick it up... simply because ANY player walking on a square occupied by the ball MUST try to pick it up.
Mandatory pick up whatever the situation...

This is just wrong. Page 58 of the rulebook explicitly says the ball bounces if a player is pushed into it.
Azur

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2022 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

indeed! my bad!
Just stupid, but true Sad
Azur

Post   Posted: Apr 17, 2022 - 17:00 Reply with quote Back to top

and same story p.46... Damn!

Thx Mibasse for the input.
Ohwatch

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2022 - 01:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't remember the game replay...

It was a bliz on side bottom, i make my runners on the ball.
ball out, no dices, no message;

Strange
Java

Post   Posted: Apr 18, 2022 - 08:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Ohwatch, are you talking about a Blitz! Kickoff result?

You should have had a catch roll unless the ball had been kicked out of bounds

If the ball is out of bounds at kickoff the client displays it in the last square of the deviation path

It's hard to check without a replay
Ohwatch

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2022 - 03:21 Reply with quote Back to top

https://fumbbl.com/ffblive.jnlp?replay=1520866

First half, turn 3/4

Could you explain it?
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2022 - 04:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, on your turn 3, you already have the ball. The ball carrier blitzes away an orc, and moves, still holding the ball.
On your turn 4, you already have the ball. You score.

You then setup, you kick the ball. The logs don't show where you targetted, but the ball scatters 5 squares southwest. Based on where the different players are, I'm assuming you targetted the square 2 north and 1 east of Yambul Ratbreaker, as this would prevent any of his players getting a chance to catch it. However, this is only 4 squares north of the sideline, so the ball is actually out of bounds after the scatter. The client doesn't show this, it shows the last square it was in before it goes out of bounds.

You then get a Blitz! kick off result. You run under the square where the ball is shown, but since the ball is already out of bounds, your opponent is awarded a touchback (this is also not shown in the logs.)

I think it would be helpful if the logs showed the original choice of location for the kick, and announce any touchbacks as soon as they are identified (so when the ball scattered 5 southwest, it would have a line showing that there was a touchback occurring), and announce when a player actually receives the ball from a touchback, and which player receives it.(which would occur after the kick-off event was completed).
Candlejack

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2022 - 09:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Soo... resulting from this I found a new ticket in my inbox Wink

This ticket is asking for 3 things:

1) log entry for the chosen starting square for the kicked ball
2) log entry for when the ball goes out of bounds before the bounce
3) log entry for when a touchback assigns the ball to someone

Before adding these things I would like to go through the items to check if they are really helpfiul.

For 3:

I don't see how that is helpful. The touchback gets assigned by the offence coach which is a concious decision so the log does nothing for them. The defence coach sees which player holds the ball. Adding a line with the player does not really help there, does it?

So unless someone has convincing argument I do not plan to add this line.

For 2:

I see the point there so I'll add that one.

For 1:

I am not sure if that would add any meaningful information. If you see if the kick was a touchback (which would be the case if #2 is added) and also the deviation roll plus you saw where the ball was placed what benfit has a log entry about that sqaure? In effect all that is relevant during the kick-off phase is where will the ball land, isn't it?

So again this is something I would not want to add.

Just to be clear, my hesitation to add log entries comes from the fact that we already to log a great deal of information and had people complain about the verbosity. Personally I am all for adding all data to the log that conveys meaningful information but I want to be sure it really is to avoid cluttering the logs.

So feel free to convince me where you think I am wrong Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 24, 2022 - 18:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm totally fine with not doing 1 and 3 as a priority. I happen to like verbosity, which is why I suggest them, but seeing it on the screen is fine as well. Number 3, I mostly wanted because it's equivalent to a catch or a hand-off in importance, there is just no roll for it.

Number 1, to me, is the least important. The only reason I want it, is for replay completeness. In particular, despite my guess above, I don't actually KNOW where Ohwatch kicked the ball. He might have put it one row lower (and therefore one square further left) than my guess. The exact positioning COULD be useful for learning and training purposes; I could explain what the reasoning is, and what would have been better. Without knowing exactly where it was kicked, it's hard to do that kind of post game analysis.
 Jump to: