45 coaches online • Server time: 17:27
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post DOTP Season 4
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SkittleMosaic

Post   Posted: May 04, 2022 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I think one for Break Tackle could be neat. Helps leverage the extra movement from Jump Up, and both work together to extend your frenzy threat range.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 04, 2022 - 11:46 Reply with quote Back to top

If you use a Norse Blitzer the best build probably is Guard, MB, Tackle, Stand Firm (assuming he survives long enough). Break Tackle is useful but it has less priority than those skills.

Last edited by MattDakka on May 04, 2022 - 18:00; edited 1 time in total
Storr

Post   Posted: May 04, 2022 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Zerkers bad, maximum one and not at the start. Snow troll worse, was never worth it.
Start with one Valkyrie, add 2nd later imo.
Haven't played new norse yet, so all based on experience with norse in previous editions.

Oh, and don't be afraid to get mb first skill on an ulf. Gotta bangon mens.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: May 04, 2022 - 17:29 Reply with quote Back to top

@PurpleChest, sorry about the math salad there. AV/injury is a 2d6 table with a 2d6 subtable: there are 1296 possible ways to roll.

To generate the odds of getting any given injury result, multiply the chance of breaking AV (out of 36) by the chance (out of 36) to inflict that injury result/range, and divide by 1296. It's more convenient for most people to divide by 13 and see it as a rough percentage; you'll be under by about 0.3 percent of the numerator.

For example, if you knock down an AV9+ player, you take the chance of rolling 9+ (10/36) and multiply them by the chance of getting the injury you want (6/36 for a Casualty, or 15/36 for a removal), to get 60 Casualties out of 1296 knockdowns. 60/1296 is a little over 4.5%. If you have Claw, that 9+ becomes an 8+, which is 15/36, so you'd get 50% more Casualties (90/1296). 90/13 is about 7, so about 7%.

For Mighty Blow, you do the same, applying +1 to the injury roll, and then you do the math for a naked injury roll times the chance of missing your AV roll by exactly 1.

For example, if you have Mighty Blow and have just knocked down an AV9+ player, you could roll a 9+ on AV (10/36) and then 9+ on Injury (10/36) to get a Cas, or you could roll an 8 (5/36), then a 10+ (6/36). So that's 10x10, plus 5x6, or 130 Casualties, 10%.

By contrast, Claw/MB gives you 15 chances to break, times 10 chances to Cas, that's 150. Not a whole lot better. It's more favorable vs AV10+, but not what it used to be, to the tune of 36 lost Casualties out of 1296.

So Claw and MB together are really only worthwhile if you are facing AV10+ or better all over the place, and even then, the combo has lost a step. That was my point.

Post   Posted: May 04, 2022 - 18:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Storr wrote:
Zerkers bad, maximum one and not at the start. Snow troll worse, was never worth it.
Start with one Valkyrie, add 2nd later imo.
Haven't played new norse yet, so all based on experience with norse in previous editions.

Oh, and don't be afraid to get mb first skill on an ulf. Gotta bangon mens.

I have quite liked having two valkyries
Drunkard on the linemen means they just aren't the best ball carriers if you need rushes to score or make the ball safe.
Having two players on the pitch with catch and pass means those skills are worth more (you've got someone with a built in reroll on either end of a pass, and someone fast enough to threaten a handoff)

You do have to protect them early on but really they are the only valuable and vulnerable players on the pitch for me, Ulfs having strength to protect them.

For what it's worth while I'm not rolling with the beer pig, I've been very impressed with them in my matches against Norse so far and induced it for 50K in my last game as a merc. Good on defensive drives as opponents have to think twice about following up.

I think you could make an argument for random strength on the ulfs as standfirm, guard, mighty blow, juggs all make them better at the things you might want them to do. Grab and strong arm are auto rerolls. At 7 SPP you've got two strength skills with a good chance of something useful.
Garion26

Post   Posted: May 04, 2022 - 18:21 Reply with quote Back to top

The comments on the Yhettee seem to echo my experience with the Bloodspawn. Fun but not worth it. For Khorne it adds a lot of variance to whats already a high variance team and a team that struggles a bit to control the positioning game now has a player that has to blitz to 'consistently' get where it's supposed to be.
Kinks

Post   Posted: May 04, 2022 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Seventyone wrote:
thicc skull is so good (or is it)?

Yes, it is indeed very good. Helps keep them on the pitch. Great for the LoS, not so good every other turn. They are now more likely to remove themselves taking GFI's than they were before they had Thick Skull.

They are kinda like a poor mans Dorfs now. Block/Thick skull. Obviously they lack the AV 9 and tackle. They do have AG 3 instead of 2 (good, but how often do you want to roll 3+?) and MA 6. However, the MA 6 comes with risky GFI's in that they are both likely to fail and likely to hurt your player. Dorfs have MA 4, but can GFI much more freely.

A minor downside of thick skull is Kegs are no longer as good value for 50k. I guess You would be better getting a merc beer pig if you only have 50K inducements?

Post   Posted: May 05, 2022 - 14:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Kinks wrote:

A minor downside of thick skull is Kegs are no longer as good value for 50k. I guess You would be better getting a merc beer pig if you only have 50K inducements?

I am curious if this will be true, or if you rather have 11 players with ST3. So far all matches against teams with pigs felt very experimental.

Post   Posted: May 05, 2022 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

As a 12th player I think the Pig has value either at 20K rostered or 50K as an inducement. Given how cheap norse linemen are (and the fact we are saying three potential positional slots aren't worth taking) you aren't bloating TV much by adding them.

Norse tend to lose players as the game goes on. Second half having 11 with one being strength 1 is better then second half having 10 all strength 3.
HouseT

Post   Posted: May 06, 2022 - 03:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I get what people are saying about Berserkers and even about the Yhetee. But for me, if I'm not taking two of the positionals of a given team, I'm not sure why I'm playing that team. Plus with those linemen and limited movement, I'm taking as many players without Drunkard as I can. Especially the two that have full movement with Jump Up.

No, the team is far from perfect, but I don't play Norse for perfection. I play them because the team is a coin toss between stomping opponents out and getting stomped, and that can be its own fun at times.
Kinks

Post   Posted: May 06, 2022 - 08:51 Reply with quote Back to top

So, it looks like we are all in agreement, the pigs are the best positional available to Norse for the cost?

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2022 - 12:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I like my yheti. 21 Cas in 36 games certainly has helped, too, as any opposing player gone is one less to attack av7. I went Blodge first with him, only recently got mightyblow.

[Oh, and it's my silly un-sophisticated frenzy heavy, take any positional you can norse that got me from below cr 150 to above.] At one point they were mini khorne.
Mnemon

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2022 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Kinks wrote:
So, it looks like we are all in agreement, the pigs are the best positional available to Norse for the cost?

Compare:
Ulfwener, costs 105k, 15 Games, 81 Blocks, 5.4 Blocks / Game - no cas: https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=15128524

SPP / Game: 0.24

Boar, costs 20k, 1 Game, 1 Block, 1 Block / Game* - 1 cas: https://fumbbl.com/p/player?player_id=15162098

SPP / Game: 2

*2 fouls, too. Ulfwener: none.
 Jump to: