60 coaches online • Server time: 19:42
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Conceding v Goblins/...goto Post Advice tabletop tour...goto Post War Drums?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kondor

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2022 - 22:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Voorn wrote:
I prefer the older version. Although, I have to ask, where are all the players at? i remember you used to see a whole load of folks on there looking and trying to play. nowadays the most you see is 4 at peak hours usually 2 or 3 and it seems that those are only there to see who else is because they do not respond to game requests and dont send any out.
You used to be able to play game after game but now your lucky if you get to play one a day.

I think there are quite a few players waiting for the new Black Box to be ready. Speaking only for myself, I can't be bothered to hang out on gamefinder until someone finally decides to take a match I offer.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 11, 2022 - 23:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Voorn wrote:
I prefer the older version. Although, I have to ask, where are all the players at? i remember you used to see a whole load of folks on there looking and trying to play. nowadays the most you see is 4 at peak hours usually 2 or 3 and it seems that those are only there to see who else is because they do not respond to game requests and dont send any out.
You used to be able to play game after game but now your lucky if you get to play one a day.

But, before you returned and started playing in [C], your last game was in [A] in 2006. Mr. Green

Many things were different back then.
e.g. Some of these guys still had hair.

Post   Posted: Jun 12, 2022 - 02:05 Reply with quote Back to top

LOL True. At least I still have MY hair. It has a LOT of gray in it but... its there. I have a lot more aches and pains too.....

Immitated in chat by another member "S**n"
Azur

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2022 - 12:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Imho, showing both current and global TVs would be another nice addition.
Especially for beginners.
Garion26

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2022 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Voorn wrote:

I wasn't around back then, but wasn't that before BB1/2 by Cyanide split the market? It seems like the majority of online BB players there (far more then on FUMBBL at least for North American peak hours)

As I write this(1530 server time) there are 391 online in BB 2 right now, and 57 on FUMBBL (and that number includes those browsing the forums on FUMBBL, which doesn't count in the BB 2 number)

That being said it seems like EU peak hours is great time to get a game on FUMBBL. For me in NA peak times it's often few coaches (I've been on with 1-2 other coaches in gamefinder and usually 5 or less)
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2022 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I've found that there's not much correlation between the number of coaches and the time to get a game. If there are a lot of coaches on, everybody wants to pick and choose. If there's only you and two others, one of them is probably jonesing to take whatever comes up next. Of course, if there's nobody else, there's nobody else, not much to do about that.

Christer, I'd like to add my name to the list of people who would like to see more time to accept a matchup. They hit in bunches, I don't need to be able to look at every team before deciding, but I would like to be able to read all the proposed matches before the clock runs out.

Post   Posted: Jun 13, 2022 - 21:39 Reply with quote Back to top

The only relevant suggestion I can think of about the new gamefinder is: how about giving it a little more visibility in the home page of a coach, so that it's more intuitive and new coaches can easily find the tool?

Unless you are playing a scheduled League (and that means you already know the basics of Fumbbl, more or less), the gamefinder is meant to be the most important and easiest way for getting a quick game on the site, even more so if you are a complete newcomer. I don't think that hiding it in a sub-menu (Game-> Gamefinder) is ideal.

Not sure about where to put it (I wouldn't want to clog the homepage of those who don't use it regularly either), but maybe Christer can find a new balance?

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2022 - 00:04 Reply with quote Back to top

It's not a matter of visibility, it's a matter of picking. If people can pick/dodge there will not be as many games played as with an automatic MM scheduler.
GF is good to play with friends in League, for Competitive division the Box is the best.
No wonder people don't play. I'm not surprised at all. At first there was the appeal of trying BB2020 rules and traffic on GF was high, but now the novelty has worn off.
We have to patiently wait for the Box.
HimalayaP1C7

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2022 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

We've been keeping track of the feedback on this post, Christer has just released the latest version which should hopefully cover most of the suggestions that have been made, if we've missed something please feel free to post again or contact me directly.

One thing I know hasn't changed is the time limits, I don't know what Christer's plans are with regards to these, but they are noted in the issue tracker as things to review.
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2022 - 06:45 Reply with quote Back to top

MattDakka wrote:
It's not a matter of visibility, it's a matter of picking. If people can pick/dodge there will not be as many games played as with an automatic MM scheduler.
GF is good to play with friends in League, for Competitive division the Box is the best.
No wonder people don't play. I'm not surprised at all. At first there was the appeal of trying BB2020 rules and traffic on GF was high, but now the novelty has worn off.
We have to patiently wait for the Box.

I disagree. You say that the problem with gamefinder is that most coaches do not accept fair matchups? Maybe, but those pickers/dodgers are not box material anyway, so once we have a box system things will not improve. We will just have a smaller environment of like-minded coaches, unspoilt by the pickers. But that's a SMALLER environment, so in terms of games played there's no net gain. And if you are hinting at the "if there's no box, there's no point playing atm" mentality, then I say that's part of the problem of [C], almost as much as the presence of pickers itself.

The only way to long-term improve the quality of the gamefinder is to support a different mindset for users, and that's basically why I am against a gamefinder with a blacklist feature and/or an easier access to skills checking. But I digress so please let's leave it at that.

My suggestion was merely from a usability point of view. Once the new box hits the site, I am all for improving BOTH the new gamefinder's and the box scheduler's visibility. I think hiding them in a sub-menu is counter-intuitive, and that a single big button "click here for quick play" would work best (I'm trivializing, but you get the idea).

But as I said, it's a suggestion. I'll let Christer value its merits.

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2022 - 08:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Record, treasury, number of players, and so on.... are now indicated.
Thx Christer and Himalaya for listening to our suggestions!
Java

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2022 - 10:05 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know, with 500+ unique match-ups on my grid it seems to me that people DO actually want to play... if the one offering is not a blatant picker and there's a bit of novelty/variety involved.

What people seem to be rejecting, sometimes, is top tier rosters offering matches to flimsy AV and no core skills starts. One can find a match up like that whenever, so might as well just wait a bit more and find a less boring chap.

Also there's a thing called summer going on, which might cause people to play less.

Of course to some people the box is the only solution, because they want to grind and grind and grind with their fine tuned freaks and safe tier rosters, and the box used to offer an endless supply of willing victims.

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2022 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:
But as I said, it's a suggestion. I'll let Christer value its merits.

Part of our problem is that it has taken so long for this to occur to anyone. Twisted Evil

A nice big create "Create Team" button probably wouldn't hurt either.

BB3 is coming.

JackassRampant has it right though. If there is less choice, people will play what they can get, or nothing.

If people would rather not play at all than play vs you... well, it's their leisure time.

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2022 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Part of our problem is that it has taken so long for this to occur to anyone. Twisted Evil

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, so I'll take that at face value Smile Personally speaking, I've been on fumbbl for 18 years now. I know the site like the palm of my hand. So sometimes it's difficult to replicate a newcomer's experience and try imagine what it's like.

Post   Posted: Jun 14, 2022 - 11:22 Reply with quote Back to top

JanMattys wrote:

I disagree. You say that the problem with gamefinder is that most coaches do not accept fair matchups?

Not just that. By my direct experience I can tell you that even fair match-ups are quite often rejected.
I challenged Legend and Super Star coaches having bash teams with my Elves and they didn't accept the game, or the other way around, sometimes I don't accept a game, even if it's fair, because my opponent is low rank and I would gain little or no CR from it (and lose a lot in the unlucky occurrance of a defeat). With multiple rr even a noob can equalize on turn 8 with a TTM and the Inducements system give some underpriced Star Players to certain races (Bomber comes to mind). As an aside, after 323 games with BB2020 rules I must say that you were right about the multiple rr lowering the quality of BB. I had mixed feelings about multiple rr at first but now I'm sure that it made the game worse.

JanMattys wrote:

Maybe, but those pickers/dodgers are not box material anyway

Pickers are going to pick whenever possible, but if they don't find a game for hours on GF and are desperate enough they could activate in the Box.
I have spent hours on GF watching the same coaches not playing games. With the Box they could have tried to find a game (or not playing at all, as alternative).

Anyway, without the Box finding a decent game worth to be played as Super Star or Legend coach is very hard, so the Box is necessary.
GF can work if you don't care about win rate/CR/play casually/cycle top tier 1 teams challenging coaches new to the game or noob coaches.
If you don't want to cycle tier 1 teams and want to play competitively (aiming to gaining CR, which is in the end the Competitive division goal, otherwise there would be no rankings and no CR) GF is not a valid system. It's not quick either, unless you accept whatever offer (although sometimes there is no offer for hours). People don't have the time to stare for hours at a screen waiting for a game. Box was way better. You activated and had to check at a specific time. The GF forces to have constant attention on the screen.
To worsen things, there is no Season Re-Draft yet, that means that some teams grow to high TV and don't find opponents. Not all coaches like to play low TV or cycle.
 Jump to: