19 coaches online • Server time: 02:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2022 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

So, I was pontificating on how to skill up players. Right now it seems that a good path, not the only path, was to take as the first skill a random Primary.

Once that random skill is reveled then IF that player skills up again to pick a Primary that pairs up with the random chosen skill. Granted it is now 30K on cost but the benefit far out weighs the savings of 10k for another random skill.

Blood Bowl is all about synergy between two or more skills. The more synergy the better the players skills are as a whole for his role on the team.

The list of a 2 skill stack is long and so is a 3 skill stack. These are key for the success of a player and a team, imho.

Thoughts?

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2022 - 16:42 Reply with quote Back to top

On cheap Linemen I'd agree. Less sure on expensive players or key positionals though.

The opportunity cost of them is too high. E.g having to replace a Arm Bar Human Blitzer, not only 85k to ship out that might be useful elsewhere but you start the clock again on skilling and they have less games to redraft to earn something useful. You could keep the Arm Bar Blitzer but it's now further from a useful skill, and preventing the development of a more useful understudy to replace them
Garion26

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2022 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah it's dependent on player cost and context.

General is very good table for most low cost players. Most teams can make use of kick, dirty player, tackle and most would love block/wrestle. Shadowing being the biggest a loss in most situations.

Some players (most stunties) get a lot better with random General skills particularly on stunty teams where no one has primary access to general skills.

But dirty player or kick on an expensive player feels like a waste.
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2022 - 19:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Dirty player + Piledriver is so much OP !

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2022 - 19:51 Reply with quote Back to top

For my Humans:

Blitzers: chosen primary skills only, until legend at least. Randoms are for end of season on players I don't think I want to take back, or on legend skills late in a player's second season, or at all in the third.

Throwers: random P if I can afford to sack, chosen primaries (Block, On the Ball) if not. If you told LRB6 me that I could have an Accurate, Leader Thrower for 90k ... I might actually take Leader, lol.

Catchers: first one becomes OTS boy with Block, Dauntless, Sprint, Pro, stat, Sure Feet. Second one gets a random G skill and builds out from there.

Linemen: one saves for Block, the rest get randoms, but whether that's G skills or I save for S skills depends on circumstance. Block guy saves for a random S skill as his second skill, because without a good skill to complement Block, he's an iffy value as a redraft. If he doesn't get to random secondary status (8 SPP) by season's end but does get to random primary, I'll do that.

The only times I take a random that's not a first skill are:
a) I bought Block first and it's a lineman, so I'm saving up for something to give him pop; or
b) I took a random first and it was kinda meh, not worth keeping if you just add Block for 20k, but if you add Block for 10k it'd be kind of nice; or
c) I don't think I want to redraft the player and the end of season is nigh, but if he got a discount on a good skill it might change my mind.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2022 - 20:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Also as noted depends on season length/context.
In something like C on FUMBBL with no real limit on how many games the team can play your thought process is different then in a league with a set duration or number of games.

A TV based matchmaking environment like C or CCL on BB2 also pushes the math a bit.
PainState

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2022 - 22:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion26 wrote:
Also as noted depends on season length/context.
In something like C on FUMBBL with no real limit on how many games the team can play your thought process is different then in a league with a set duration or number of games.

A TV based matchmaking environment like C or CCL on BB2 also pushes the math a bit.

Not really in my mind..You have 15 games in C...make your team. Run 15 game sprints....rinse/repeat.

After 2 sprints then you must decide who gets fired because their agent fees are to much and so forth.

As has been pointed out in other posts...Real Life leagues do not have to deal with season length and agent fees...it is a unique FUMBBL (C) issue raised because of the new rules.
Most table top leagues redraft rookie teams on a constant cycle between seasons. Also IMO most (L) teams on FUMBBL will never have to deal with this issue.

Back to the main point.....IF you are able to stack skills that is the best option.

Now, based on feed back the reality of the day is that your common lineman will most likely never be able to "stack" skills inless he/she/it gets lucky on MVP awards.

So what to do with the SPP generators on your roster? If we accept that Linemen will never get more than 3 skills, ever, due to redraft...what is the best skill up path for your spp earners? I think it is best to stack like skills and then when redraft happens make the best option that you think will carry you into the next season.

I look at saving SPP for a +STAT...who would do that besides a scoring threat who generates a lot of SPP in a single game like catchers or gutter runners?

A CW will be lucky to generate 2 spp a game much less average 2spp a game. Then again if your CW manages to get 14 spp in a 15 game sprint is he better off just Choosing 2 Primary skills? Then get fired after the 15 game sprint because he costs to much then?