21 coaches online • Server time: 01:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Chaos Draft League R...goto Post anyone know how to c...goto Post Elf Draft Coach
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2022 - 16:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I have some questions about matchmaking in blackbox.
This might not be the right place to ask them but it feels related to the box throphy as I'm currently playing it through with my first squad.

Is matching done by TV only or is also CR involved? For example would a draw involving 2 experienced coaches and 2 legend coaches all with the same TV have a higher probability of resulting in legend vs legend and experienced vs experienced?

The last days I've had difficulties to get matches with my low TV Ogre team and the matches I have got has been vs 4 low TV Snotling teams in a row. Has the rule treating TV lower than 1000 as 1000 been changed?
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2022 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

As far as I can guess by direct experience in the Box, only TV and number of matches played by the teams are involved.
CR is not involved in the matching criteria.
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2022 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your answer Matt!
Might explain why very few low ranked coaches seem to play in the box.
A bad matchup against a several tiers higher ranked coach is almost meaningless to play out in my opinion.
I like playing in the box because it eliminates the waiting time compared to picking and I have been forced to play higher ranked coaches wich sometimes have resulted in challenging and fun hard fought games.
Other times the game is decided already on the draw and not fun to play at all. I would prefer to be able to concede such games already at the draw step, would save both mine and opponents time.
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2022 - 17:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Chrisdekok wrote:
Is matching done by TV only or is also CR involved? For example would a draw involving 2 experienced coaches and 2 legend coaches all with the same TV have a higher probability of resulting in legend vs legend and experienced vs experienced?

The last days I've had difficulties to get matches with my low TV Ogre team and the matches I have got has been vs 4 low TV Snotling teams in a row. Has the rule treating TV lower than 1000 as 1000 been changed?

CR is not included in matchmaking as far a I know.

The latter had changed. I thought it was now a maximum gap of 350TV for team with less than 15 games played (or something like that). Although I think I saw a game that broke that rule the other day - might have been chosen rather than random draw though

Last edited by C0ddlefish on %b %20, %2022 - %18:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2022 - 17:55 Reply with quote Back to top

The 350 TV gap maximum doesn't apply in the scheduler I can match a Snotling team with
240/60 TV against teams with a little over 1000 TV.
Is the 350 limit an extra rule only for the box?
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2022 - 18:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I think so, because scheduling means you know what you are getting into. The 350 rule I think was brought into stop Morgflings preying on rookie teams in the box
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2022 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Chrisdekok wrote:

Other times the game is decided already on the draw and not fun to play at all.

Cheers!
I think that without Cpomb/Piling On the unplayable match-ups are less common than in the old rules, unless you play super weak teams vs super good ones.
As long as you play a solid tier 1 team you should be fine, most of times.
Also, if you "force" yourself to play a very hard match-up in the Box your coaching should improve, no matter if you lose, the important thing is improving yourself.
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2022 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Thats sad, I was planning to use Bomber and Morg every game Sad
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2022 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Exploiter! <points the finger at Chrisdekok> Razz
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2022 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Using every dirty trick in the book is my only chance to stay ahead.
Plus I think it's completely in the spirit of blood bowl Wink
Sp00keh

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2022 - 19:14 Reply with quote Back to top

I don’t think the average box coach ranking is too high

It’s not wildly different from average coach ranking in R
Don’t be intimidated by it

You do need to play a strong team, and be ruthless with your TV management, if you want to do well tho

Just get into it
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Aug 20, 2022 - 22:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I have gone through the matches I have played in box so far and it doesn't look as bad like my impression was. Majority of opponents were stars or emerging stars. I'll post the numbers a little later.

Regarding playing only the strongest teams at optimal TV, I understand this is the way to go to maximise winning. I just think its a much more boring option than playing a variety of teams and using every dirty trick I can think of to try to even the odds.
MerryZ

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2022 - 06:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Snots are one of the stronger teams on low tv and scored at 2 points, mind you.

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2022 - 07:00 Reply with quote Back to top

On the chart Christer produced to show the win rates and therefore tiers, Snotlings were the top race of the 2pt tier if I remember correctly. So only just missed being 3pts
Chrisdekok

Post   Posted: Aug 21, 2022 - 08:10 Reply with quote Back to top

That's one reason I don't like my Ogres being matched with Snots every game. Main reason is that it's much more fun to play against a normal TV team and use bomber and Morg.
My last game with Ogres was against Halflings so a litte variety at least.
 Jump to: