50 coaches online • Server time: 12:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post DOTP Season 4goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Secret League Americ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
amazingprizzini

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2022 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not even sure on the linewoman. Blodge is such a strong combo that I'd take it on their first skills, outside of a kicker or DP.

But for the positionals, yeah, I think you want to choose their primary skills.
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2022 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, so what I'm seeing that hasn't been said:

1) The overall roster is more expensive than old Zons, but still very cheap. 13 players with full positionals, 3 RR and an Apothecary is 1140k. You may opt for a 4th RR (1200k total) in your first season (remember, you can't fire RR in-season, but you can decline to redraft them between seasons). This and ubiquitous Dodge means you should be able to bank for scum or for rehires after bad randoms.

2) You only have two S access players. Yes a ST4 GS-access Dodge Defender is really super obnoxious, but they're 0-2 and the Blitzers only have GA access, which is a massive handicap when considered across the roster. For this reason, the ability to take random S skills on Linewomen is way more potent because you need that 20k Guard, Grab, Mighty Blow, whatever. Don't need a lot, random G skills are a better deal once you've got a little bit of good S stuff. Note that because B/G/SF is such an obvious Blocker track, you have no hitter, which is a bad thing on a low AV team with blanket AG3+. A random MB or even Juggernaut on a lina fixes that. (Grab, Guard, Break Tackle, and Stand Firm are also sweet, while Thick Skull and Arm Bar are a lot better on this player than on most, though still not great.)

2a) HOWEVER, you also have no starting Block or Wrestle, so maybe a couple chosen primaries are a good way to start off before doing the randoms. For this reason I'd want to carry with positionals, because I feel better about paying full price for Block on a more expensive player with more synergy stuff (ST4, HnR, or OtB, all want blocking skills).

3) Hit and Run plus Frenzy = some seriously weird gaming potential. I'd take Frenzy after Block or Wrestle on one, and then follow with Side Step. As to Block vs Wrestle, it's a matter of taste and roster.

4) 13 (wo)menz, 5-6 of whom are position players, 3 hold scrimmage, you can have 4 or 5 good linewomen. That's kinda nice. I run a lot of all-lino rosters and the fact that I seldom have to manage my line-players' development at all is really nifty. Amazons have always been kinda like that, and it's not changed.

5) Rookie Zon mirror is a pillow-fight in the making.

6) Zons in the NBFL could be pretty sweet now. Draft your Blitzers from the Blitzer/Strength pool to start with Block and MB, build your own Blockers and Throwers, start with a crap-ton of dual-random UDFA linas.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2022 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

As to Throwers, if I don't need them to have Block I'm taking random P skills. Too much good stuff. Might get a random P first and be ready to pay for Block second if I roll Leader or something, as opposed to going for a stat if I get, say, Dump-Off. Not convinced this is the way like it is with Humans: if you roll a sucky skill on a Human Thrower, their replacement has PA2+ and Sure Hands, and will get a chance to do better within a game or two. By contrast, on a Zon, that 3 SPP means you have to carry with her at least once, taking SPP from other players.

Post   Posted: Nov 18, 2022 - 21:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I sorta like that way of doing the throwers. Then again, having a sure hands thrower can be very nice to have, and it's what I always jump for wit them.

FYI, thanks for all the super-helpful discussion and thoughts from everyone so far!
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Nov 19, 2022 - 17:42 Reply with quote Back to top

amazingprizzini wrote:
I sorta like that way of doing the throwers. Then again, having a sure hands thrower can be very nice to have, and it's what I always jump for wit them.
Agreed, but I think it's a matter of development perspective.

You must have eleven players and if you don't have two Blockers you're leaving value on the table. Blitzers and Throwers are decent, but not at the same level, so we'll think of them as upgrades to Linewomen, +30k for a Thrower, +40k for a Blitzer. You also really really need three TRR because you have no Block or Sure Hands. So the minimum cost for a realistically optimizable Amazon team is 220k + 450k + 180k, or 850k, leaving you with 150k for positional upgrades, reserves, staff, rerolls above #3, and fans.

You could spend that 150k on two Blitzers, one Thrower, and 5 Dedicated Fans. Or you could take one Blitzer, a fourth reroll, and 6 Dedicated Fans. Or you could take a fourth reroll, an Apothecary, and 5 Dedicated Fans. Those are the routes I'd consider. Then hire an Apo if I didn't start with one, and fill in positionals (and linas if needed) to get to 13 players.

If you took the position-heavy 3 RR roster, you want Sure Hands on that Thrower pronto. Block would be nice too, but someone else can do that. Speaking of which, you need someone else to take Block as a chosen primary, beyond just Blitzers and Blockers, so you get at least one less dip in the random pool.

If you took the 4 RR roster, you're likely not to hire Throwers until full-up on Blitzers and Blockers, and you can afford to reroll a pickup if necessary. Here, you can Blodge up your Throwers or roll randoms or whatever, because you're not taking Throwers qua Throwers so much as vehicles for P skills, especially that sweet starting On the Ball.

Me, I'm a 4 RR guy, I like teams that are built on a solid foundation even if they have to develop into their star power. But there are lots of ways to look at it.